Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dakota D-Day Flypast

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Why is there all this activity today? I thought D Day was 6th June.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They have just left Duxford in the last few minutes.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Why is there all this activity today? I thought D Day was 6th June.

The invasion started overnight of the 5th going into the 6th. They don't really need the cover of darkness this time so the planes taking off on the 5th is still historically accurate.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That was pretty special, just left Burwash. You are in for a treat.

There are in one single line.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Just flown over Eastbourne as I left work. Incredible to imagine what it must have looked and sounded like 75 years ago.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just flown over Eastbourne as I left work. Incredible to imagine what it must have looked and sounded like 75 years ago.
I imagine just like that :)

The sight in Buwarsh was stunning. Came over the valley directly towards us (from Wadhurst area) than slightly banked overhead towards the sea.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I imagine just like that :)

The sight in Buwarsh was stunning. Came over the valley directly towards us (from Wadhurst area) than slightly banked overhead towards the sea.

You know what I meant the scale of today would have been nothing compared to the numbers involved on D Day.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Went to Beachy Head to see them. Amazing sight. Two and a half hours late though … aeroplanes are ALWAYS late! Horrendous traffic trying to leave the area afterwards.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Went to Beachy Head to see them. Amazing sight. Two and a half hours late though … aeroplanes are ALWAYS late! Horrendous traffic trying to leave the area afterwards.

Yes I'm still stuck in the traffic though West of Seaford the jams subsided.

12a only going as far Sealife Centre.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
didnt anyone get a pic!!!!

I would have done but phone died before the flypast. Most people were standing on the seafront and pier but the flypast was parallel to the beach but inland somewhat. It meant that the close ups were viewed between hotel blocks until they turned left at Beachy Head and headed out over the channel. Many were disappointed by what could have been a brilliant spectacle if they'd flown over the sea.

I'm sure there must have been a reason for that.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
B3916159-26C2-4866-B06A-53997AFA4357.jpeg
Spent all afternoon sitting by Eastbourne pier, I was disappointed, I thought they would be nearer. Oh well.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Didn't come down to Sussex to see it, was completely unaware of it until midday. I work "from home" there about twice a month. Glad I did. They flew right over the village.

Today was very poignant because I witnessed a little something in the same spot as my late Dad. The family have lived the same place for years and experienced the war there. My Dad would have been 9, evacuated somewhere "safer" for a bit, but was back in the village before D Day,

Came straight towards us across the valley in a seemingly never ending train, then banked towards Eastbourne, Simply amazing. Me worrying about "health and safety" but then thinking back about my Dad (and the villagers) worrying about whether the soldiers would come back.

Just a few minutes of my life, but the first time for me that sympathy regarding the Second World War transcended into empathy

My mum then cuts through my misty eyed moment, by telling me that my Dad "loved" the war with all the bits falling from the sky to collect and gave himself a hernia jumping too "enthusiastically" into an air raid shelter.

:lolol:

Great day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here