Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric cars

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
My LPG Transit van doesn't meet ULEZ regs, even tho it's pretty good environmentally (well to wheel) so will need an elec or Hybrid version by Oct 2021 - Currently only two panel vans for sale, both basic chuggers, and both north of £60k..
Even with a £6k rebate, if i had £60k knocking about for a vehicle, i'd rather buy a Jensen Interceptor than a van.
I'm on the waiting list for Ford's Hybrid transit Custom which has 50 mile of elec range, and a back up 1 litre petrol engine that recharges the batteries only (not direct drive to wheels) Predicted cost £50k..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I will not consider an electric car until:
1. they are no more expensive than petrol/diesel,
2. they have the same range
3. there are adequate charging points

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
9 months into my Tesla Model 3 MR. 265 miles on full charge. No range anxiety as superchargers everywhere and 450 mph charge rate. Can't say enough about all of the technology/safety features and the bangingest stereo I have ever experienced. Used to drive the X5 when we had lots of stuff to be moved but find that M3 has a ton of space upfront and in the back. $7,500 government tax rebate softened the cost for me and avoided filling up for 12,500 miles now - saving around 1,200 quid in fuel. No oil changes, no maintenance of any kind for another 3 years. Never going back to ICE.

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Here in Warsaw Poland, we have many electric BMW i3 self-drive hire cars which are cheaper to rent than Uber.
All over the city, you have charging points if they get low on charge and you even get a discount on your next trip if you end your journey at a charging point and put it on a charge.

There are many advantages with using these apart from the cost as you are allowed to travel in the bus lanes as well as free parking all over the city.

The only downside is that they have had to raise the age limit of renting these cars to 22 as 60% of all accidents were caused by young drivers, doesn't affect me at all at 57 but pissed off a lot of young drivers lol

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hybrids are the short term future. All electric will be the norm once the infrastructure is in place.

what infrastructure is this though? its not just power points needed but power too, sufficent uprating of domestic supply to support fast charging. its not really feasible and doesnt solve these core problems, which hybrids do.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I looked at getting an EV this year but they’re just too expensive. Even with the government grant (which has been reduced in the last few years) a brand new EV was still costing upwards of 23k. Second hand models are obviously cheaper but the battery deterioration on models pre 2015 is frankly appalling meaning that some of the cars we looked at had a range of 80 miles and under. I like the idea, I like the eco friendly side but not enough resources are being put into pure EVs to make them cost effective at the moment.

Also worth mentioning that a lot Think Tanks’ findings should be take with a pinch of salt. Who knows who funded the research...

The new Taxi TXE is the thick end of 70k and only capable of 60-70 electric miles before the petrol engine is needed. I would consider one if I was a full time cabbie as loverly to drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The current Golf TDI (Diesel) emits 140g CO2/km on average over its entire life cycle, while the e-Golf reaches 119g CO2/km.

In the vehicle with an internal combustion engine, most of the emissions occur during the use phase—i.e., in the supply chain of the fossil fuel and the combustion. Here the Diesel reaches 111 g CO2/km.

A corresponding vehicle with electric drive emits only 62 g CO2/km during this phase, which results from energy generation and supply.

In contrast, most emissions from the battery-powered electric vehicle are generated in the productions phase. According to LCA, a diesel here generates 29 g CO2/km, while 57 g CO2/km were determined for a comparable e-vehicle.

The battery production and the complex extraction of raw materials are responsible for this. These emissions account for almost half of the CO2 emissions of the entire life cycle.

During the use phase, CO2 emissions depend on the sources of energy production. They decrease all the more, the more regenerative energies are available.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I’ve just ordered the new BMW 330e plug in hybrid, mainly to save a load of tax rather than save the planet.

It will cost me £165pm due to a 16% BIK rate. I could have a gone with a 520d and ended up paying £475 pm month in tax.

Absolute no brainer.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
No. Maybe in 20 years when it is easy to charge anywhere, quick to charge, does 500 Miles to a charge and are much cheaper.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
We own 2 fully electric cars in our household and both cars travel to Eastbourne and back on a daily basis. Never ran out of charge in the 3 years since we have owned a electric vehicle and recently drove up to warrington and back. Would never go back to a petrol car now.

Infrastructure does need to improve, many of the chargers in Brighton are old now and don't always work and there is a complete lack of charging points in Hove. Having said that this will change as some of the large petrol companies are investing in charge points so its probably only a matter of time before they start cropping up in petrol station forecourts.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Collected my Tesla Model 3 last week and so far am very impressed.
Reasons I switched from an ICE:
The environment- have 100% renewables from Good Energy at home. Also with Zappi charger will charge from my solar panels for free (when sun shines).
Range is 250 miles with Standard Range model or 350 with extended range.
Have a drive so just plug in whenever home.
Still expensive £38k but compare that with BWW ICE for example. Much cheaper to maintain and run.
About the safest car ever tested.
Acceleration is instant 0-60 in just over 5 secs (3.5 secs for Performance model).
I am a convert.

Stumpy Tim

We own 2 fully electric cars in our household and both cars travel to Eastbourne and back on a daily basis. Never ran out of charge in the 3 years since we have owned a electric vehicle and recently drove up to warrington and back. Would never go back to a petrol car now.
How did you manage the Warrington trip? What's the range of the car you took, and is it a Tesla with the fast charging battery?

Stumpy Tim

Currently there is little detail on the residual value of the car. Given that the battery is a huge cost and has a life of 7/8 years? Does the value of an electric car plummet the closer you get to the end of the battery life. Or will pricing models from manufacturers develop where you buy the car but lease the battery or similar,

I lease my car as it makes sense for me, but I'm pretty sure that when you buy an EV the battery isn't owned by you - so when it becomes worn out you get a new one for free. I've certainly heard that mentioned by another EV car owner

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Will definitely look at getting one when we next purchase in about 3-4 years, hopefully the improvements will be fantastic in that time scale, range mostly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here