Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Slavery Museum

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This, the Arabs have as much to answer for as us, they however won’t be as liberal in their stance the fascists.

Edit forgot to say nice excrement mixing Crodo..... Just when people were starting to feel positive about the Albion and people generally being nice to each other eh?

We reflect on our past and own our inhumanity. Others who enabled it reject their part and want us to be responsible for slavery in its entirety.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I suspect it will be a UK bank. But who knows - I assume it was in the form of government bonds which can be traded? I don't know enough about how such things work in practice to venture a guess!
I was only joking.

However, seeing as GS have their grubby little fingers in virtually every dirty financial pie on Earth it wouldn't surprise me to find that they've somehow profited from retrospective slave trade compensation. By selling CDS's against the claims or something.

The *****.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We reflect on our past and own our inhumanity. Others who enabled it reject their part and want us to be responsible for slavery in its entirety.
For once we are in complete agreement (football aside, I often agree with you on that).

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Good idea, as long as it includes, for balance, a bit on the West Country villagers who were rounded up and taken as slaves by the Barbary pirates in the 15th and 16th centuries.

It should include all forms of slavery in this country. Roman through to the modern day. I wouldnt be surprised if there are more slaves now than there ever have been at any one time. It should also include forms of slavery such as tied workers, debtors prisons and workhouses. They werent pleasant times if you had no money so the majority of people.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I suspect it will be a UK bank. But who knows - I assume it was in the form of government bonds which can be traded? I don't know enough about how such things work in practice to venture a guess!

it was gilts, so anyone buying gilts for general government debt - banks, pensions, insurers - would have been involved. it wasnt specific to the slavery abolition.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am not against it. Like any memorial it reminds us of our history, the mistakes made and what we have learned from it. Unfortunately it’s still happening in this country and I would personally like to see resources directed at combatting this before anyone starts celebrating its end.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Or spend the money in Africa rather than a project in mega wealthy London. The money would be far more useful in countries that have so little.
Waiting for someone to come along and say it's all our fault their economies are up the shoot because we stopped buying slaves from them.....................!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]. This thread hasn't gone exactly as you planned, innit??? :rolleyes: :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No doubt it has changed. When I did GCE History Wilberforce hadn't even been invented - not as part of the GCE syllabus anyway! As my daughters went through school (several years apart) the emphasis on slavery (along with the holocaust) increasingly dominated their history courses. In fact, by the time the youngest went through the system, you could almost be forgiven thinking that 'history' was actually 'slavery and the holocaust'.

5 years of GCSE History lessons on slavery and the holocaust is certainly extreme but will prepare them for the next decade, if they hadn’t already listened to Dad.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No doubt it has changed. When I did GCE History Wilberforce hadn't even been invented - not as part of the GCE syllabus anyway! As my daughters went through school (several years apart) the emphasis on slavery (along with the holocaust) increasingly dominated their history courses. In fact, by the time the youngest went through the system, you could almost be forgiven thinking that 'history' was actually 'slavery and the holocaust'.

Looking at the GCSE syllabus it doesn't seem to just be about slavery and the holocaust. Strange that. https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/history/gcse/history-8145/specification-at-a-glance

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think the idea of the museum is fine as long as it does strike a true balance. Every society that has dominated another one has made slaves of them and that goes from Ancient Egypt through to modern day. Some of those slaves lived in chains most were enchained by economic means. So in the context of Britain as a whole we were certainly victims at some point due to Romans, Vikings and Normans but pretty much anyone who was not pretty rich was in fact a slave to a master who could do as they wished.

Ireland and the Highlands had sets of people were treated as disposal items less than 150 years ago and a lot of us are related to these people.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I didn't know that - but I'm glad to hear it. Our kids get it drummed into them at school all about the wicked British building wealth on the slave trade (with comparatively little detail about the wicked British role in the abolition of the slave trade) - it is only fair to remember that it was not only the British (or the white man in general if you prefer) who were involved in profiting from slavery.
A slavery museum in the UK would be more appropriate in Bristol or Liverpool than in London anyway (if they haven't already got one).

British schools do LOADS about the abolition of slavery, including the role of white British campaigners.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It should include all forms of slavery in this country. Roman through to the modern day. I wouldnt be surprised if there are more slaves now than there ever have been at any one time. It should also include forms of slavery such as tied workers, debtors prisons and workhouses. They werent pleasant times if you had no money so the majority of people.

Estimated 40.3 million currently. 5,000 referred to UK authorities as victims of slavery in 2017. Estimated that the UK could have tens of thousands suffering through modern slavery. 1% chance of prosecution. https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/

On a lighter note, I would presume that it would be part of the Museum of London's wider expansion plan - if you have ever visited any of their sites you would know not to worry about quality. Fair and honest treatment of history presented in an accessible way.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If done right it will be excellent. I'm not sure there is one balanced and fair opinion in the middle that can be pitched at though. Hope it's comprehensive and not just about White, English, Men.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
World Wars aside, There are very few of these major flashpoints / events in history where we have done the right thing or not covered ourselves in shame.

You really really believe that ? 'We' have done nothing but cover ourselves in shame throughout history. Wow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here