Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
None of 'the experts' other than HKFC have come up with a name worth considering that could stick around and bat for some time if needed rather than the T20 rubbish slogging. It is now annoying me what was the name of 2 young openers everybody was raving about last year, I am sure they played for Lancs and also had a couple of test matches.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
That we know of. I note Warner didn't walk when he clearly nicked it. You'd think he'd try to rebuild his reputation and start walking like Gilchrist used to, show a bit of honesty over and above the call of duty given what he'd done. Not a chance.

There's nothing in the rules about having to be a Gentleman. You can be a yob and still play Cricket.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
None of 'the experts' other than HKFC have come up with a name worth considering that could stick around and bat for some time if needed rather than the T20 rubbish slogging. It is now annoying me what was the name of 2 young openers everybody was raving about last year, I am sure they played for Lancs and also had a couple of test matches.

Hameed is probably one of them. Totally lost all form.......then started this season a bit better, getting his first 100 for about 2 years.....

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Keaton Jennings? - Think he got found out by the end of the India series.

Mark Stoneman played some of the tests last year and did OK - He's from Surrey
Dawid Malan also got a few games - Middlesex

Not sure why they have both dropped off the radar, both averaged around 23 or so.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Problem is pretty much every batsman that gets brought into the England test team scores big in county cricket, you just cannot compare it to the hostility and quality of an ashes series, it’s less about run scoring or ability to me and more about mentality of valuing your wicket, so many of these England players don’t even make the bowlers work hard for the wicket. See Roy yesterday, the most ridiculous shot selection you could possibly make.

Even Woakes I thought was symptomatic of this, yeah he came in and scored a few but to me the way he played was selfish, he saw the opportunity to score runs and even though we had no chance of chasing the target he just couldn’t help but try and smash the ball, problem is... how do we fix this embedded one day style mentality? I don’t think we can, not fast enough to save the ashes anyway,

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lets hope Jofra can get through his 2nd XL game today. For those interested he is bowling now:

Well that has been entertaining!!

First the bowler at the other end found the edge which hit first slip straight in the mouth, he appeared to be picking a tooth off the floor before being taken off.

Jofra has just bowled a gorgeous over, taking a wicket and getting the batsmen playing and missing 3 or 4 times with the ball right in the right areas. Quick couple of bouncers too.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Well that has been entertaining!!

First the bowler at the other end found the edge which hit first slip straight in the mouth, he appeared to be picking a tooth off the floor before being taken off.

Jofra has just bowled a gorgeous over, taking a wicket and getting the batsmen playing and missing 3 or 4 times with the ball right in the right areas. Quick couple of bouncers too.

Any idea who is bowling at the other end? Looks like he is getting some decent shape and has picked up a couple.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lets hope Jofra can get through his 2nd XL game today. For those interested he is bowling now:

England may well have Jofra waiting in the wings. But then again the Aussies have Mitchell Starc waiting in the wings also. 2nd test could get explosive! Tho reckon Starc will offer more of a boost to the Aussies than Archer will offer to England. Fascinating stuff.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just don’t know what i’d do for the 2nd test, at least we have 9 days between the tests to try and resolve the issues.

Burns
??
Root
??
Roy
Stokes
Buttler (WK)
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I would go back to Jennings as opener

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So this is now a fixed video where you can watch a bit of Archer's spell. Go to 30:45 to watch first slip lose a couple of teeth missing a catch....ouch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So this is now a fixed video where you can watch a bit of Archer's spell. Go to 30:45 to watch first slip lose a couple of teeth missing a catch....ouch.

And Archer wetting himself laughing at the poor guy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here