Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Maybe it was me but I thought that was totally not funny and pretty poor.

The Martin clunes sitcom was a million times better!

IMHO

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It felt like a pilot epsiode to me. Some good bits that I would keep but a lot of so-so stuff that just padded out the 28 minutes. It also lacked any atmosphere. I don't know if this is because we were supposed to be viewing it as the production crew would - as opposed to the 'at home' audience - but it just felt very flat.

Disappointed, as I drove home from Dorset today and was looking forward to this all the way up the M3.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Both myself and Mrs Nose have agreed it'll take some getting used to. We were big fans back in the day, so are prepared to give it a chance on the back of that.

It's seems to be a slightly PC'd up version of the old one, in fairness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoyed the little Partridgeisms, like slightly missing the first cue when walking to Tim Key, and the giant steps behind the sofa, which was then slightly overplayed by the extended cue miss.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Loved it. Some cracking lines. Still good after all these years.

And Susannah Fielding is rather easy on the eyes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loved it. Some cracking lines. Still good after all these years.

And Susannah Fielding is rather easy on the eyes.
I have a thing for Cariad Lloyd.
Which is quite handy because she's easily interchangeable with Lucy Porter and Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

At least I'm not fickle. :lol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Other than the toilet Demo I thought it was poor.

His day to day interactions were what made it funny! Really weak in my opinion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thought it was decent, and has a lot of potential.

As others have said, the format takes getting used to but I like that they’re taking risks and keeping Partridge fresh. It’s going to all go horribly wrong for him again, on live TV.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That graph of the Decreasing Effectiveness of Chocolate on an Angry Wife was pure The Day Today and had me nearly crying with laughter. Tim Key is also a comic genius.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was twice as funny watching it back a second time, lots of little bits I missed first fime around.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's a little bit strange seeing differing posts. We have a total affinity with Alan Partridge because he is cringing. We loved David Brent for being the same. It's great comedy and it gets your spine tingling, it's like ... nooooo don't go there. But I am like watching a comedian that has lost his way now. Tonight, I did not find funny. But I hope it gets better. Armando not writing this is a big thing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Armando not writing this is a big thing.

He stopped writing a while back, in fact there is more "non-Armando" Partridge. Mid Morning Matters, The Books, The Film, Scissored Isle all done without Armando.

They had taken the character has far as it could go - then these two brothers stepped in. In my opinion (and it is only that) he moved away from simply being another sitcom character and got much much better.

Scissored Isle (if you haven't watched) it probably the funniest and cleverest thing Partridge has ever been in.

I had to watch this twice, I liked it much more the second time.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'll be watching it again.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He stopped writing a while back, in fact there is more "non-Armando" Partridge. Mid Morning Matters, The Books, The Film, Scissored Isle all done without Armando.

They had taken the character has far as it could go - then these two brothers stepped in. In my opinion (and it is only that) he moved away from simply being another sitcom character and got much much better.

Scissored Isle (if you haven't watched) it probably the funniest and cleverest thing Partridge has ever been in.

I had to watch this twice, I liked it much more the second time.

Do you know what, such a cultured response, I may just do that, watch it again.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This time with Alan Partridge seems as if it's more David Brent hosting a tv show than Partridge. It was more about all the anxiety and awkwardness Partridge was putting himself through rather than his 'i'm in charge' approach he usually portrays.

Hopefully through the episodes, he starts to relax and be more his brutal self.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That graph of the Decreasing Effectiveness of Chocolate on an Angry Wife was pure The Day Today and had me nearly crying with laughter. Tim Key is also a comic genius.

Yes, I think that was my favourite bit. The Day Today graphics and presentation combined with Alan using an ill-judged, out-dated metaphor.

On first viewing I'd give it 7/10, enjoyable but I think it will take a couple of episodes to really get going. I'll definitely be watching it again though, as other people have said I'm sure there are bits I missed.

I would love to see another I'm Alan Partridge series, as [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] says his best stuff is following his day-to-day life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here