Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I said blaming a manager for everything. For every Hassenhuttl, there are relegated teams that changed their manager once, twice in the season to no effect. Norwich sacked Hughton with 5 to play, they'll never know if he would have steered them to safety, could they have won at Fulham, and got a draw in one of the others? What was clear is the change made no impact whatsoever.

Solksjear has had a massive impact, he could still be sacked by Christmas though. Was it his management that got the lift from the players, or just the players deciding to play? Funny old thing football.

We do know he wouldn’t actually - something like 8 away defeats in a row and we actually gave a much improved performance at Fulham and very unlucky to lose. So the change did have an impact thank you but not enough and we were doomed anyway when bottom Sunderland who had 2 games in hand won nearly every game after and finished comfortably safe. Also it’s wrong to suggest 4 more points all that were needed because 4th bottom wba were safe with 2 games to go so not exactly busting a gut with everything already decided

At least you guys have a chance to survive and I think you will even if you very likely don’t sack him. You’ve only 1 rival, you have the game in hand, and just 1 more point could easily be enough. The parallels with sleepwalking to relegation and the comments about the style of play, no plan B, strikers and substitutions were striking though!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Funny, I was sure he was screaming at them most of the game Tuesday, he seemed exasperated at times. I think we all see what we want to see.

I saw him mostly with his hands in his pockets only to remove one to throw his chewing gum on the ground...disgusting habit

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m going to call it - everyone’s not very happy. A new caretaker manager may make everyone happier (or may not). But keeping the same one definitely doesn’t.
its a bit obvious to say everyones not happy...they hardly would be wouldn't they ...but for me it would be madness to change now...and anyway its a pointless debate because it isn't going to happen

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
its a bit obvious to say everyones not happy...they hardly would be wouldn't they ...but for me it would be madness to change now...and anyway its a pointless debate because it isn't going to happen

I agree it’s not going to happen. Which is why I think we’ll go down. The madness is to think Hughton has it within him to turn it round - there’s zero evidence of that being likely. A caretaker with a positive attitude could just motivate the players enough to get something out of the next 3 games. If it was my £100m I was about to lose I would make that gamble. But it’s not so it’s Tony’s call. I think he’s making the wrong one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funny, I was sure he was screaming at them most of the game Tuesday, he seemed exasperated at times. I think we all see what we want to see.

Wasn't that just becuase there was an assymetry creeping into the horse shoe?

To be fair, I am in West Upper, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the sound of him chewing gum, screaming like a stuck pig, or yodelling like Frank Ifield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr3PIwln1aE

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree it’s not going to happen. Which is why I think we’ll go down. The madness is to think Hughton has it within him to turn it round - there’s zero evidence of that being likely. A caretaker with a positive attitude could just motivate the players enough to get something out of the next 3 games. If it was my £100m I was about to lose I would make that gamble. But it’s not so it’s Tony’s call. I think he’s making the wrong one.

ok.....well I think otherwise ...so perhaps leave it there ...so lets hope u r wrong and I am right

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The thing that disappoints most of us are the basic lack of skills on display since Christmas. Lack of fight/passion, lack of movement, lack of ball control, lack of accurate passing. I could go on but you get the picture. These are team skills that many championship ( and lower) teams have. Why can't our players get their act together on the pitch. As many have said if our people at work underperform they will be replaced. Shame we can't do the same.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

It’s less down to not trying and more down to not being very good .
To put it another way , I don’t think this squad could be significantly better if managed in a different way.
The quality simply isn’t there

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
To put it another way , I don’t think this squad could be significantly better if managed in a different way.

I can see your point, but they can and have performed much better than they are now. More movement, closing down, passing TO their team mates and so on. If they did those basics and we still lost, then I'd fully agree with you

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I can see your point, but they can and have performed much better than they are now. More movement, closing down, passing TO their team mates and so on. If they did those basics and we still lost, then I'd fully agree with you

I think somewhere in the middle lies the truth . There’s no doubt everything you say about the current playing style is true .
They must do better

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Martin Samuel in the Mail today:

There are many, very plausible, explanations for why Brighton now find themselves in a desperate battle against relegation. Chris Hughton has done a fine job there, but he knows the limitations of his squad, and his tactics are often a hard watch.

Brighton’s players are sent out to doggedly resist, not entertain, and playing negatively is never much fun.

As happened to Tony Pulis at Stoke, after a while, players tire of the strategy and Hughton’s seem to have deserted him late in the season. To win the Brighton way takes work and once commitment drops, results can quickly nosedive, too.

So that’s the logical explanation; but here’s another. They’re Brighton. And being Brighton, like being Burnley, or Huddersfield, or Cardiff, or Bournemouth, everything has to be right or else they’re in trouble.

There are six clubs that right now seem insured against relegation, and the rest have to get it spot on. A spate of injuries, the sale of a good player, bad buys and, yes, an absence of faith in the manager, and the season can quickly fall apart.

Southampton sold one too many and were in trouble. Fulham bought badly and fell apart. It can happen to anyone, even Leicester, even Wolves, even clubs that are seen as success stories now could be in entirely different positions next season, as happened to Burnley.

So there are many good reasons why Brighton are falling but the biggest one will never allow them peace of mind.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I'd have to disagree with you.

Poyet turned a bunch of hopeless, brain-dead cloggers into something of a passing side very quickly. Ugh, I feel dirty praising him.

Hughton's side has looked so poorly coached most of this season. They resemble the cloggers Poyet inherited. I have said many times on here this season that the £35 Million academy has not been used by the look of it. Poorly coached, lacking in fitness, lacking in self belief and lacking in motivation. All comes from the coaching staff and manager. Like many I think it's too late to dump the lot of them now so we're stuck with them. Big clear out in the summer I hope.

For Sale: Prestigious Training Facility located in Lancing, West Sussex. Hardly used. In 'as new condition'. Would suit ambitious professional football club. Offers in the region of 35M.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly this. Our movement off the ball is restricted to very near the play. Our passing is too slow. We take too long on the ball. When we try something more adventurous we simply attempt ill-considered passes that go astray. We seem to have the confidence only to play conservatively (the famous horse shoe configuration). The fact that CH isn't screaming at them from the touchline, or commenting on it post match suggests the team are doing exactly what he's asking them to do. That, frankly, means we are going down.

This is how I see it too. The movement is shockingly lacking (always has been) so it has to be the players following instructions. The wingers will lay the ball off to Stephens, and instead of even occasionally heading at pace down the wing or into the channel, they hover 5-10 yards away waiting for a return pass. If, occasionally, the wingers get the ball in a forward position, we either have one or none in the box, so the cross is wasted (if it’s any good anyway) because none of the midfield ever get up to support forward play. Again, they have to be playing to orders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] if Chailey won't even give you a breather Shirley the dead horse had been well and truly flogged. :lolol: :kiss: :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here