Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - FA Cup Semi Final

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Hardly surprising.....possibly worrying about Sterling (and he did a fantastic job keeping him relatively quiet)

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Sure, but I don't rate my fullbacks solely on their defensive performance. I might also be mistaken but he seemed to give the ball away a fair amount.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Cityfan

Jul 1, 2018
Popped back in to see the replies to my post to your Bernardo thread re the daily mail article. My post wasn't allowed. So i doubt the mods will allow this one.

I thought Bernardo kept Sterling quiet and yes if the full backs did progress to far forward to early in the 2nd half, city would have broken the lines on the counter.

It was interesting to watch Houghton screaming orders to his full backs. His tactics were right but also flawed, i didn't think you had the pace to counter until you played the team and formation 4 4 2 at the end. BUT, that formation and team would have taken too many chances in the 1st half and the loss would have been greater.

Thanks for the cheese. Good luck in staying up. See you next year x

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This /\

This is my exact take on the incident. I feel that without VAR present, the ref MAY have issued the red himself. With the 'safety net' of the video review, he can think 'I'll play safe and go yellow. If there's enough in it, the VAR will up it to red". Such thinking would be okay, if the VAR officials had a genuine free reign to judge what they see. As it is, with the ruling to only overrule a very clear mistake, they are always going to support the original call. As you rightly say, if he had given a red, there's no way the VAR would have over-ruled it - on the very same evidence.

Genuine question - can VAR downgrade a judgement - i.e. from Red to yellow if they think the red not justified? I presume not, but it can reverse goals and give offside or whatever instead.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm listening to the Wolves game via the Beeb website when up comes a link for rating the players.

I was curious so looked at our game yesterday, and can see why Kockeart got Man of the Match. Apart from De Bruyne, who got 6.20, no other City player got above 6.
Brighton on the other hand, Knockaert 7.04, and every player above 6.0.

Either a lot of voters just hated City or a lot of neutrals did rate our players. I'll leave you to decide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47839217

I suspect it's more a comparative with expectations - City were awful by their standards, Brighton did what Brighton do. Most people will have expected a far more comfortable win for City so are probably giving Brighton their deserved credit.

All that said, anyone that managed to watch it to the end deserves a medal....

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Genuine question - can VAR downgrade a judgement - i.e. from Red to yellow if they think the red not justified? I presume not, but it can reverse goals and give offside or whatever instead.
Not my belief VAR can recommend but all decisions are down to the match Ref.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Genuine question, did you just rate a manager a 9 after we lost a game?

Yes I did, because (a) it wasn't his fault nor the result of any of his actions and (b) he deserved a 9. Unless you're expecting him to rush onto the field and go in two-footed in de Bruyne just as he picked out a cross?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes I did, because (a) it wasn't his fault nor the result of any of his actions and (b) he deserved a 9. Unless you're expecting him to rush onto the field and go in two-footed in de Bruyne just as he picked out a cross?

By your logic (for point B), it's never the fault of the manager and only ever the fault of the players as no manager can ever "rush onto the field and go in two-footed in de Bruyne" ("in De Bruyne" sounds filthy by the way). And yet managers regularly lose their jobs ahead of players, so clearly many within football regularly blame managers for continued poor performances.

Personally I think you're being incredibly generous. We lost the semi final and all this nicey nice stuff about us working hard is great and all, but it's another game where we've lost without scoring and where we've barely looked like scoring. Were City at their best? Absolutely not, but they were incredibly comfortable for the majority of that game. It's on our manager to do enough to try and change that, which he really didn't do. So how anyone can rate him anything above average is beyond me. But then again I suppose a lot of people have such low expectations that managing a side to a loss in a semi final is apparently worth a near perfect rating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here