Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Minutes silence before every game?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's the club who decide. Well they already have to deal with probably 100 pointless complaints from people pretending to be outraged at something every game so, why take a controversial decision of not observing a silence when some other clubs do and invite another 100? We end up in this mess.

I'd have it standardised as much as possible ....

Someone acknowledged to be club legend, eg when Mullery or Knight go = minutes silence
Someone associated with club, eg a prominent fan or former player = moments reflection
Someone acknowledged to be a legend of Football, eg Banks, Best, Pele = minutes applause
Someone who isn't a legend and has no Albion connection, but is respected in the game, Eg Regis, Ray Wilkins = moments reflection
Someone associated with other club, but hasn't achieved greatness or particularly affected most people = eg Sala, nothing
Someone not involved with football = nothing. Though possibly a minutes silence for someone exceptional, eg the Queen
Remembrance day = I'm not trying to be controversial, I know, but I don't see why this happens at the football, so i'd say not observe it. I think I may have observed about 6 silences last year, most in pubs waiting for some sport to start. There are public parades especially for this sort of thing.
Someone who has died before their time and is "in the football family" or strongly associated with the club, eg the Shoreham aircrash victims or Bradley Lowry = minutes silence.

To be fair this is a bit of a minefield

Precisely why we need consistency, which in today's world that necessitates grieving openly about everything means we should probably do each week shouldn't we? That way, no one feels like their grief is marginalised or somehow misplaced. We all support different causes, are affected by different events after all - why should we be told what we ought to respect by the club, which is inconsistent to say the least. And there's the rub.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the club who decide. Well they already have to deal with probably 100 pointless complaints from people pretending to be outraged at something every game so, why take a controversial decision of not observing a silence when some other clubs do and invite another 100? We end up in this mess.

I'd have it standardised as much as possible ....

Someone acknowledged to be club legend, eg when Mullery or Knight go = minutes silence
Someone associated with club, eg a prominent fan or former player = moments reflection
Someone acknowledged to be a legend of Football, eg Banks, Best, Pele = minutes applause
Someone who isn't a legend and has no Albion connection, but is respected in the game, Eg Regis, Ray Wilkins = moments reflection
Someone associated with other club, but hasn't achieved greatness or particularly affected most people = eg Sala, nothing
Someone not involved with football = nothing. Though possibly a minutes silence for someone exceptional, eg the Queen
Remembrance day = I'm not trying to be controversial, I know, but I don't see why this happens at the football, so i'd say not observe it. I think I may have observed about 6 silences last year, most in pubs waiting for some sport to start. There are public parades especially for this sort of thing.
Someone who has died before their time and is "in the football family" or strongly associated with the club, eg the Shoreham aircrash victims or Bradley Lowry = minutes silence.

To be fair this is a bit of a minefield

I'd agree with all those comments apart from remembrance day. Out of all of them that is the one that most warrants being observed as there is probably no greater sacrifice than losing your life whilst serving to protect our nation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, you were just rude so I brushed off. You’re still smarting at that evidently.

That was rude!? :shrug:

I merely suggested given you've hardly been happy with the actual football lately, that a minutes silence at the end of the game might suit you better. I thought it was quite funny, hardly rude, unless I've missed judged your online sensitivity levels?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly different take? Eh? You’ve said precisely what I’ve said several times in this thread! Idea ‘thief’ ;)

Allow me to confer FULL attribution. :bowdown::thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That was rude!? :shrug:

I merely suggested given you've hardly been happy with the actual football lately, that a minutes silence at the end of the game might suit you better. I thought it was quite funny, hardly rude, unless I've missed judged your online sensitivity levels?
You should know its my time of the month...all 28 days of it...:tantrum:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, have a minute's celebration before every match - they can announce over the PA who it's for, and then ask the crowd to celebrate in their own way - a minute's silence, a minute's clapping, a minute quietly talking to each other, or a minute's cheering, whichever people feel is most appropriate for them. And then, after the 60 seconds is up, have another announcement over the PA to let the crowd know that the minute's celebration is over. Everybody happy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If its related to BHA, England or someone else truly exceptional Yes, everyone else No

Shoreham Air crash - Yes
Leicester owner - No
Player that was going to play for Cardiff - No
Gordon Banks - Yes

Agree with you on this. The Leicester owner and the Cardiff bloke had no relevance whatsoever to us. Shoreham we couldn't have overlooked. Banks maybe. You've got to draw a line somewhere. Wasn't there TWO things for the Cardiff bloke, one after the crash and black armbands when the body was found. Too much.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Danny Baker has suggested a better tribute for Banks would be for all goalkeepers to wear a Banks-style blue jersey with a big white 1 on the back, which would be a much better tribute than a minutes silence / applause IMHO

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Albion legends yes. But I remember a November game in pre premier league days when a young man who'd lost both legs in Afganistan was welcomed on the pitch to applause folowed by another round of clapping for the Spurs player who'd nearly died (but didn't) on the pitch at White Hart Lane. I sat down at that point - I'd never heard of the guy and whilst it was all very sad it was not, I felt, anything to do with me.. And surely that's the point? - you don't have to clap or cheer or whatever unless you want so to do. Salah had never played in England and no-one had heard of him until he was unlucky enough to get killed. Very sad, but surely not worthy of the collective attention of a large football audience, who presumably and probably endure enough tragedy and sorrow in the ordinary course of life

I run a pub. Long ago we banned collections for customer or staff birthdays, deaths or leavings. (the pub pays for funeral flowers as needed) Otherwise you wind up in exactly the same situation, where people who really don't want to get involved feel obligated to follow a course of action. That surely isn't right?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My favourite's minutes applause was for Muamba who hadn't even died. I sat there confused.

I didn't join in on the Sala one eiher, mainly because it's one sad death (unlike the 10 youngsters in Brazil) and the teams hadn't even come out so they weren't bothered.

Unless there's a tragedy lets wrap it all up into Remembrance day or a Christmas moment. Then the editors can get to work and do a montage to sad music.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Danny Baker has suggested a better tribute for Banks would be for all goalkeepers to wear a Banks-style blue jersey with a big white 1 on the back, which would be a much better tribute than a minutes silence / applause IMHO

How exactly is that much better? Genuine question.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
How exactly is that much better? Genuine question.

Allows the club to make a pointless gesture to appease the mawkish nutters - and everyone else are able to get on with their lives without thinking about it.

Of course a better scenario would be for the mawkish nutters to not exist, but, as long as they do, and as long as they have the red tops to go and complain to, the pointless gestures of 'respect' will continue.

There is a good Twitter feed related to this: mascot's minutes silence.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here