Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wolves verdict.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If anyone had been paying attention to Wolves' performances this season Saturday's game was actually pretty predictable. Wolves consistently rack up over 20 chances. game but have only scored 9 times (with 8 different scorers I believe). There is no doubt that they have a fine defence and midfield, but they are utterly toothless upfront. More Gummy Bears than fearsome Wolves.

Whilst I'll admit it was not pretty viewing Hughton had set us up to contain first and then hit on the break, and whilst we should have done better with the little possession we had, the strategy worked. Not pretty but a sound job by the team and management.

Ultimately Murray was the difference, we had a goal scorer and they did not. Should Wolves sort that out in the transfer window they could well be a top eight side, but until then they may have to enjoy a few more 'moral' victories than actual ones.

We had 2 break aways which could / should have led to at least a shot on goal.... at the very least.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Wolves fans really are proper chuckles. Here they are commending their own brilliant support whilst rubbishing ours. Apparently we're all Liverpool/Chelsea fans and NEVER sing. The sort of rubbish you might read on a NigeIs forum: :lolol:

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/our-support-is-great.207359/

Ironically one of the quietest sets of away fans for some time, and apparently they were DOMINATING the game so should surely have been raucous.

Perhaps none of them attended their home game against us a couple seasons back at the wasteland that is Molineux, where half the place was empty and the only thing you could hear were the 3k away fans the whole match.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wolves fans really are proper chuckles. Here they are commending their own brilliant support whilst rubbishing ours. Apparently we're all Liverpool/Chelsea fans and NEVER sing. The sort of rubbish you might read on a NigeIs forum: :lolol:

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/our-support-is-great.207359/

Too cold :moo:
''We were nowhere near as noisy as we can be and have bin.Car put a finger on why it was like that.Perhaps it's the ground.Even the concourse was bad in my opinion,no beer flying about and it war for the fact the beer was nice.A bit on the cold side so maybe that was the reason.''

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No, they have a manager who believes in building an attacking side who will score more than they concede hence the occasional heavy defeat, it’s a very different philosophy to CH. Both managers have been very succesful with different philosophies on how to play but Bournemouth have played that way at all levels every season under Howe. Sure they now have the players to cement a top 10 place but they haven’t changed their style. I doubt we will either.

They've achieved some of that. An average of fewer than one goal scored in each of their first ten games. Loving their attacking intent.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The chat in our little section of WSL was that this kind of rapid rise backed by sudden access to money often ends in tears.

Factor in the super-agent (who sure ain't doing this for the long term benefit of Wolves) and it really does look like a house of cards. I don't want any team to have to face the prospect of total collapse back down the leagues (well maybe one) but have a little self-awareness and humility on the way up please Wolves fans.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought Wolves were excellent to be honest, just missing a decent striker. I would have been annoyed at not at least picking up a point if I was a Wolves fan.

But that's what happens if you don't take chances. There general play was very good though

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
having read through the comments for 5 pages

a) Yes our style is not good but if it keeps us in the PL with further increments of 100million then we will continue to improve as we have this year
b) 'expected goals' WTF use is that
c) They really underrate Murray - don't understand his game and considered his goal easy fluke he made it look easy by passing ball into the net not blasting it
d) we did escape one with Jose arm but second incident would have been very harsh - still got to score if it is given
e) The second clearest chance of the game was probably Duffy's if its on target its in (yes I sound like them )

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

a) Yes our style is not good but if it keeps us in the PL with further increments of 100million then we will continue to improve as we have this year
c) They really underrate Murray - don't understand his game and considered his goal easy fluke he made it look easy by passing ball into the net not blasting it
d) we did escape one with Jose arm but second incident would have been very harsh - still got to score if it is given
e) The second clearest chance of the game was probably Duffy's if its on target its in (yes I sound like them )

If Knockaert was so selfish we would probably have got an easy 2nd late on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My analysis of the game as follows:

We won. Wolves didn't. They never do :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/chris-hughton-tactical-genius.207355/

Would laugh if these pricks went down, aiming for the top ffs. IMO West Ham far more dangerous at the Amex that lot huffed and puffed lack of goals will cost them in the end.

I said in an earlier post in this thread that Wolves reminded me a bit of us under Gus in our first season in the championship. Having read that thread they remind me even more of us. Giddy from the excitement of waltzing your way to the league title playing a brand of football that was light years ahead of your opponents then moving up to the bigger league and competing well and being a top half club sniffing around the top six.

There's a lot of arrogance and rose (gold?) tinted spec viewing going on but I suspect that there was a lot of that going on here too in the early Gus years.

They'll calm down sooner or later and realise that they aren't that good(and probably never will be), that they are one of the also rans regardless of whether they finish seventh or seventeenth and that there is more than one way of skinning a cat. With only nine goals scored in ten games they're a long way from perfecting their own particular way of cat skinning...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Re c) so they don't criticise their 'much better than Dunk' (according to them after Dunk was called up) CB Coady for leaving Muzza totally unmarked on the edge of the 6 yard box ?? I can't believe NES said anything other than 'FFS don't leave Murray unmarked on the edge of the 6 yard box - if you do, he'll score. He ALWAYS does'....................

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
That last 10 minutes felt like forever, my nerves were shredded by the end. We have enough talent in our squad to be more on the front foot, although in fairness we struggled to get the ball off a high-tempo Wolves team who pressed immediately and intensively whenever we had the ball.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I thought Wolves were excellent to be honest, just missing a decent striker. I would have been annoyed at not at least picking up a point if I was a Wolves fan.

But that's what happens if you don't take chances. There general play was very good though

What chances?

Doherty in the first half, Bennett in the second and a long range strike through a load of bodies, at a stretch - 3.

Easily matched and exceeded by Muzza's goal, duffy's inexplicable miss from 3 yards and 2x breakaways that should have been capitalised on.

Possession (mostly passing across your centre backs) doesn't win football matches, thankfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here