Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Learning to drive

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
(Nope, nothing to do with golf :) )

My lad, in his early 20s, has finally decided to learn to drive. He is thinking about doing one of those intensive courses where you drive for a week or two and take the test at the end of that, rather than the option of one lesson a week for many weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with this approach? Have they done it themselves, or have their kids done it? Any recommendations on good firms (and perhaps more importantly, ones to avoid?)

A secondary issue - I thought it might be useful for him to have an hour or two driving my car off the public road before starting the course, just to get the basic idea of clutch control, gear change, steering, mirror-signal-maneouvre etc. I have no interest in letting him onto the highway in my car! Any thoughts on an area where he might be able to do this for an hour or two, legally? It's almost 40 years since I took my test, so I am out of touch with sites where this could be done. Edit - should have said, somewhere near Brighton would be good.

As ever, the collective wisdom of NSC is eagerly awaited :)

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

My lad, in his early 20s, has finally decided to learn to drive. He is thinking about doing one of those intensive courses where you drive for a week or two and take the test at the end of that, rather than the option of one lesson a week for many weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with this approach? Have they done it themselves, or have their kids done it? Any recommendations on good firms (and perhaps more importantly, ones to avoid?)

A secondary issue - I thought it might be useful for him to have an hour or two driving my car off the public road before starting the course, just to get the basic idea of clutch control, gear change, steering, mirror-signal-maneouvre etc. I have no interest in letting him onto the highway in my car! Any thoughts on an area where he might be able to do this for an hour or two, legally? It's almost 40 years since I took my test, so I am out of touch with sites where this could be done.

As an ex Driving Instructor, I would advise against an intensive course. Unless he has ridden a motorbike and had lots of experience only then would I say the intensive course might be worth it.
Getting to test standard comes from getting experience in driving in various conditions and completing the mandatory manoeuvres. I also remember a long waiting list for a test date.
As for driving off road to get used to all you mentioned.
That's a bit ambitious for a two hour lesson.
Much better to let a professional teach him the basics and you practice with him later once he has learned the basics and worn out someone else's clutch :)

gasbag

Dec 2, 2016
Can't offer any thoughts on the intensive lesson idea, but currently trying to get my lad through the test, so my thoughts on our approach which has worked quite well so far for us (although he hasn't yet passed !.... He had weekly lessons with an instructor to get to grips with the controls to start off with as, like you, he was getting nowhere near the controls of my car ! When he passed his theory test we got him an old car to practice in. The car we ended up with is ideal really - small 1.2l engine (Vauxhall Corsa), low mileage and runs well, and two previous learner driver owners, so is already dented and scratched enough that a few more are hardly going to notice ! It's insured in my name but we pay for an extra, separate, insurance that covers him while learning. So if there's an accident while he's learning, it doesn't show up on my record. The RAC and Marmalade seemed to be the two cheapest companies who offer this type of learner driver insurance, but there are others.

The first few times I went out with him driving were - shall we say - 'interesting', but you soon get used to it ! Having passed my test 30 years ago I've no idea what the examiners are looking for so I can really only offer him practice time with a few words of advice when we go out - just leave all the teaching to the instructor really. We try to find time to visit local industrial estates when they're quiet on Sundays to practice 3 point turns, reversing round corners etc. Good luck !

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I think [MENTION=13309]maltaseagull[/MENTION] has pretty much nailed it mate. You need experience.
I'd advise against an intensive course

Jul 7, 2003
I took an intensive course but that was back in 1990! The one I used had two pupils in the car with the instructor and we took turns of an hour each to drive between 9am and 5pm if I remember correctly. The great thing was we got to drive all over Sussex and experience different types of road. Driving up Bury Hill to get used to steep inclines, pulling out into traffic from a layby on the A23 were all things most people wouldn't get a chance to experience in a 1 hour lesson but are needed when you are on your own.

Oh, and I passed first time as well.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
I did an intensive course a few years ago and failed. It's tough to pack so much in and you feel the pressure if you're making mistakes early in the week.

Took my time over it a couple of years later and aced the test.

I understand the motivation behind taking an intensive course. But slow and steady wins the race.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Can't offer any thoughts on the intensive lesson idea, but currently trying to get my lad through the test, so my thoughts on our approach which has worked quite well so far for us (although he hasn't yet passed !.... He had weekly lessons with an instructor to get to grips with the controls to start off with as, like you, he was getting nowhere near the controls of my car ! When he passed his theory test we got him an old car to practice in. The car we ended up with is ideal really - small 1.2l engine (Vauxhall Corsa), low mileage and runs well, and two previous learner driver owners, so is already dented and scratched enough that a few more are hardly going to notice ! It's insured in my name but we pay for an extra, separate, insurance that covers him while learning. So if there's an accident while he's learning, it doesn't show up on my record. The RAC and Marmalade seemed to be the two cheapest companies who offer this type of learner driver insurance, but there are others.

The first few times I went out with him driving were - shall we say - 'interesting', but you soon get used to it ! Having passed my test 30 years ago I've no idea what the examiners are looking for so I can really only offer him practice time with a few words of advice when we go out - just leave all the teaching to the instructor really. We try to find time to visit local industrial estates when they're quiet on Sundays to practice 3 point turns, reversing round corners etc. Good luck !

It has been a long time hasn't it :)
3 point turn is no longer a requirement ( as many turns as it takes)
And reversing around a corner has been axed and replaced with following a sat nav.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Drive lorry for living and gave the daughter a couple of 2 hour basics on clutch control in my car in a friends field,we did not get out of first gear for the first hour,this was all after i had shown her a you tube video on the theory of clutch control..

She barely slipped my clutch and rarely stalled the car..

She had about 30 hours (can't remember now) and these were two hour lessons-to my amazement she had driven about 15 miles on her first lesson (don't think i ever did) anyway,she made some errors but i was against having intensive courses as it could put pressure on her and there is the risk of repeat mistake making when doing something in a tight times span.

Driving instructors? think she had 3 because some had other commitments etc and originally we went with the AA,that's who i passed with,but it was good she had different instructors in a sense.

I said to her i will teach you clutch control,the rest is down to the instructors...she passed first time aged 18..the lessons were spread over about 4 or 5 months and she had different times of the day and weather conditions,it all helped..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It has been a long time hasn't it :)
3 point turn is no longer a requirement ( as many turns as it takes)
And reversing around a corner has been axed and replaced with following a sat nav.

Think you will find it was never a 3 point turn, just a turn in the road using forward and reverse gears. It was like that when I took my test in 1980. Think it is called a 3pt turn in other parts of the world though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

A secondary issue - I thought it might be useful for him to have an hour or two driving my car off the public road before starting the course, just to get the basic idea of clutch control, gear change, steering, mirror-signal-maneouvre etc. I have no interest in letting him onto the highway in my car! Any thoughts on an area where he might be able to do this for an hour or two, legally? It's almost 40 years since I took my test, so I am out of touch with sites where this could be done. Edit - should have said, somewhere near Brighton would be good.

I'm also an instructor and never do intensive courses. Maltaseagull is correct. Got to remember that driving for long periods isn't really recommended and throw on top that you are actually trying to learn as well makes it counterproductive. A few years ago there was a government white paper that was considering banning them although it never went through. Where ever you practice, make sure you are fully aware of insurance requirements.

Agree about getting an instructor to go through the basics and get them driving. We have dual controls so far safer. However, no problem if you just sit in the car and go through the controls with him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here