Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So what positives do you see in Webster? I've only noticed negative stuff about him from you so far. Considering he's only played half a season for us, it's his first season in the top flight and he's only just turned 25 (which is very young for defenders), you've definitely come across as harsh hence why I've brought up Barnes and Wood.

Where are my vendetta, deriding or nasty quotes about Webster? I think you’re confusing me with a large array of NSC’ers who simpy don’t rate the player. Post matches where we’ve failed to win and everyone piles in targeting Webster, I can’t recall laying into him at all.

To my mind, Propper, Dunk and Montoya have made telling blunders that have cost us, and I’ve mentioned that.

Webster’s attributes:
Passing
Decent pace
Composure in the opposition box - loved his goal at Arsenal.
Plus an intangible ..... if the club have spent all that money and coveted him, they must see a quality player for the future.

At this moment I have little interest in seasons 2020/21 and 2021/22. I unashamedly want to us stay up, whatever it takes in team selection, tactics and TB investing in new players this month. Going down would be a mini disaster for the club.

It would NOT be the baloney spouted on NSC of one step back, to take several forward.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Where are my vendetta, deriding or nasty quotes about Webster?
I don't usually mention peoples thumbs up contributions so i do apologise but on that very anti webster thread where there's a strong contingency of Webster haters, I've noticed you're thumbing up every negative post about him and not one in his defence. Same as this one too. Why the need?

I think you’re confusing me with a large array of NSC’ers who simpy don’t rate the player. Post matches where we’ve failed to win and everyone piles in targeting Webster, I can’t recall laying into him at all.

Webster’s attributes:
Passing
Decent pace
Composure in the opposition box - loved his goal at Arsenal.
Plus an intangible ..... if the club have spent all that money and coveted him, they must see a quality player for the future.

Websters a defender and yet the only positives you can mention are away from his defending (unless we want to include pace as a defensive attribute which is fair enough)

Have you not noticed some of the terrific blocks he's made this season? I'm pretty sure he made a great one against Muff in the 2nd half , right hand side of the goal, on the corner of the 6 yard box.
I'd say what he offers which Duffy doesn't is the ability to read which way the opposition player is going to go when running straight at him. He doesn't get his legs caught in a twist like we've seen with Duffy. This whole Duffy is great at defending corners isn't enough for me to class him better than Webster. Webster seems to have a much better footballing brain. Yes the mistakes are there but what do you expect from someone who's so new and fresh to this division not to mention the team? and like I said, he's only just turned 25. Give the guy a chance. It's not his fault the club spent big money on him, and that's what I think is the main reason people like yourself are so in support of any criticism of him.

Time to get behind the lad I say. We don;t want to ruin his confidence before he's even hit his peak.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't usually mention peoples thumbs up contributions so i do apologise but on that very anti webster thread where there's a strong contingency of Webster haters, I've noticed you're thumbing up every negative post about him and not one in his defence. Same as this one too. Why the need?

Websters a defender and yet the only positives you can mention are away from his defending (unless we want to include pace as a defensive attribute which is fair enough)

Have you not noticed some of the terrific blocks he's made this season? I'm pretty sure he made a great one against Muff in the 2nd half , right hand side of the goal, on the corner of the 6 yard box.
I'd say what he offers which Duffy doesn't is the ability to read what way the opposition player is going to go when running straight at him. He doesn't get his legs caught in a twist like we've seen with Duffy. This whole Duffy is great at defending corners isn't enough for me to class him better than Webster. Webster seems to have a much better footballing brain. Yes the mistakes are there but what do you expect from someone who's so new and fresh to this division not to mention the team. and like I said, he's only just turned 25. Give the guy a chance. It's not his fault the club spent big money on him, and that's what I think is the main reason people like yourself are so in support of any criticism of him.

Time to get behind the lad I say. We don;t want to ruin his confidence before he's even hit his peak.

Apology accepted, cheers. Webster’s getting a shoeing on that other thread, I don’t join in, my worst ‘crime’ would be to praise Duffy at this time.

I have hope for Burn and Webster. I think they and Dunk, are all suffering from the rigid tactics, plus call me old fashioned but I feel so uneasy with the 40 yard gap between the CB’s and a lack of bodies defending so many times this season. Madness.

McBurnie, Jota, Grealish, Redmond, to name just 4 have revelled in it.

Not for me I’m afraid.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This would make a lot of sense for Duffy with Euro 2020 playoffs coming up.

Loan to buy ( depending on who goes down ).

No doubt his West Ham fan dad is all for it.

I doubt we'd block it - all depends on the fee, and bringing a replacement in, possibly.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I'd say what he offers which Duffy doesn't is the ability to read which way the opposition player is going to go when running straight at him. He doesn't get his legs caught in a twist like we've seen with Duffy. This whole Duffy is great at defending corners isn't enough for me to class him better than Webster. Webster seems to have a much better footballing brain. Yes the mistakes are there but what do you expect from someone who's so new and fresh to this division not to mention the team? and like I said, he's only just turned 25. Give the guy a chance. It's not his fault the club spent big money on him, and that's what I think is the main reason people like yourself are so in support of any criticism of him.

Apology accepted, cheers. Webster’s getting a shoeing on that other thread, I don’t join in, my worst ‘crime’ would be to praise Duffy at this time.

I have hope for Burn and Webster. I think they and Dunk, are all suffering from the rigid tactics, plus call me old fashioned but I feel so uneasy with the 40 yard gap between the CB’s and a lack of bodies defending so many times this season. Madness.

McBurnie, Jota, Grealish, Redmond, to name just 4 have revelled in it.

Not for me I’m afraid.

I think you have this wrong Westander is pointing out his attacking strengths because he does not want to be too negative about the player. He was signed as a defender and to put it bluntly he is making too many defensive errors. Duffy might not be the ball player that Webster is but at times you need to be more agricultural and backs against the wall many and me included would prefer Duffy.

This board is great at turning people's constructive comments into the 'hate press' it's a board to discuss opinions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you have this wrong Westander is pointing out his attacking strengths because he does not want to be too negative about the player. He was signed as a defender and to put it bluntly he is making too many defensive errors. Duffy might not be the ball player that Webster is but at times you need to be more agricultural and backs against the wall many and me included would prefer Duffy.

This board is great at turning people's constructive comments into the 'hate press' it's a board to discuss opinions.

:thumbsup:

I never slag off Webster (but from afar watch the hoards that do), so I'm innocent of all charges!

Plus I never make things personal about an Albion player. Other than Akpom, who stole his wages ... tosser.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I haven't denied Webster's making mistakes but it seems his mistakes are painting the illusion that Duffy was completely error free who gave us the solid back line many are claiming he will offer. I've mentioned some of the spnkings we took over the the last 2 seasons whilst he was defending including losing 5-0 to bournemouth, and coincidently those users who are pushing their opinions that Webster should be dropped for Duffy are completely ignoring those scores in this 'constructive comments' discussion, this include Westander.

Care to discuss any of Duffy's mistakes too if we want to keep this fair? We've only conceded 2 more goals than last season at the same point(i think?) whilst playing much more open, attacking football. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Webster is suffering from a lack of form but he isn’t half as bad as people make out.

Tiny mistakes jumped on..... if he had made that back pass to Ryan on Tuesday from the goal kick he would be getting bucketloads of abuse on here about it..... but as it was Dunky then no problem.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Webster is suffering from a lack of form but he isn’t half as bad as people make out.

Tiny mistakes jumped on..... if he had made that back pass to Ryan on Tuesday from the goal kick he would be getting bucketloads of abuse on here about it..... but as it was Dunky then no problem.
Dunky has a bit more credit in the bank

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

No he really is an awful, awful drfender. Line him up agaisnt some of the crap like Ashley Neal and Joe O'Caeruiell and he isnt far behind.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We defend as a team, our record is inspite of Websters errors and others errors to, not because of him being great.

I'm with [MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] Duffy is by far a better defender right now, full international, much more physical, much better aerial presence, 2 seasons of PL experience

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's a drastic change in the way we play. In a 4-4-1-1 there was always plenty of protection in the middle of the park and Duffy & Dunk formed an excellent partnership dealing with balls into the box. We now have fullbacks who attack more and a central midfield that move the ball further up the pitch meaning our defence is now exposed.

Webster does make some mistakes but so would Duffy if given the game time, equally Dunk has made more this season than last. It's all about progress and Potter is unlikely to change his philosophy because of the odd error

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a drastic change in the way we play. In a 4-4-1-1 there was always plenty of protection in the middle of the park and Duffy & Dunk formed an excellent partnership dealing with balls into the box. We now have fullbacks who attack more and a central midfield that move the ball further up the pitch meaning our defence is now exposed.

Webster does make some mistakes but so would Duffy if given the game time, equally Dunk has made more this season than last. It's all about progress and Potter is unlikely to change his philosophy because of the odd error

Spot on. I'd add that we defend much higher up the pitch under Potter, and it's Webster's pace that enables us to do that. Dunk hasn't got much, and neither has Duffy, but plenty of our fans haven't quite twigged that we're now playing a completely different system to the last three where D&D did a fantastic job while, at the same time, over-protecting our defence made us utterly toothless in attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here