Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kitchen electrical advise

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm planning on installing a cooker extractor hood into my kitchen, and am questioning if I need anything like an isolation switch in between the power supply from the rear of a twin plug socket to the fan. I was going to wire in a cable out of the cooker socket and switch but was unsure if I could go direct to the appliance.

Any electricians that can share their thoughts...

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Needs to go into a fused switch spur
Do not take the power from the cooker socket and if that’s your thoughts, maybe you should leave it to a professional.
What is the KW of your extractor?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Love these thread car breaks down people go to a mechanic, working with electricity something that can potentially kill you or burn your house down seems fair game to just have a go. No offence It’s something I just can’t get my head around comes from being a sparks I guess.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm planning on installing a cooker extractor hood into my kitchen, and am questioning if I need anything like an isolation switch in between the power supply from the rear of a twin plug socket to the fan. I was going to wire in a cable out of the cooker socket and switch but was unsure if I could go direct to the appliance.

The fact you are asking the question to NSC, regarding the real basics to wiring a fan, I'd say ELECTRICIAN.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/electrical-diy/

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Love these thread car breaks down people go to a mechanic, working with electricity something that can potentially kill you or burn your house down seems fair game to just have a go. No offence It’s something I just can’t get my head around comes from being a sparks I guess.

This - Although I do change sockets and light switches myself, I see that as the same a changing a tyre, to use your analogy :) I found my nadir with an intermediate switch, that defeated me. It defied all logic.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm all for the DIYers.....have a bash

tenor.gif

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Did 3 years of City & Guilds sparks training which can be encapsulated in one post on NSC on how to do it... And with no come backs if it goes t1ts up and kills or injures someone.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Well it’s only 194w so will be pulling less than 1A
So 3A switched fuse spur is required.
I’d prefer to see the spur taken off your power circuit as it’s in the kitchen but you could take it from the lighting similar to a bathroom extract fan.
If you’re going to attempt this yourself and you need advice you’re welcome to pm me

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Well it’s only 194w so will be pulling less than 1A
So 3A switched fuse spur is required.
I’d prefer to see the spur taken off your power circuit as it’s in the kitchen but you could take it from the lighting similar to a bathroom extract fan.
If you’re going to attempt this yourself and you need advice you’re welcome to pm me

Moggy, I'm going to run it off a power socket and put it through a 3A switch spur unit mounted above the wall cabinets in the kitchen. This is also what I did for the fridge freezer and washing machine 5+ years ago when I moved in. The advice I was given regarding the extractor fan by a tradesman seemed incorrect so I thought NSC would be able to provide me with some clarity about if I was wasting my time with a fused unit but it appears to be the safest option

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Moggy, I'm going to run it off a power socket and put it through a 3A switch spur unit mounted above the wall cabinets in the kitchen. This is also what I did for the fridge freezer and washing machine 5+ years ago when I moved in. The advice I was given regarding the extractor fan by a tradesman seemed incorrect so I thought NSC would be able to provide me with some clarity about if I was wasting my time with a fused unit but it appears to be the safest option

it's the only option to be fair :clap2:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

What advice were you given that you think was incorrect?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

5zgMGEC0U7pschQD3QcTPIi3FTC.jpg You know it makes sense!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What advice were you given that you think was incorrect?

I was told simply to wire it direct into the back of a plug socket by a handyman. This didn't make sense to me and NSC have confirmed that wouldn't be safe

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Problem with cars is that too many people break their cars even more trying to not go to a mechanic, usually misdiagnosing the problem and only trying to rectify the end problem.

Having said that I’ve seen enough “qualified” mechanics I wouldn’t trust to work on a wheelbarrow.

It’s quite right that to be a sparks or work with gas the industry is regulated yet so wrong that as a whole the motor trade really isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I was told simply to wire it direct into the back of a plug socket by a handyman. This didn't make sense to me and NSC have confirmed that wouldn't be safe

Absolutely wrong. Take it you didn’t employ this handyman to do any other jobs round your house ��

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

it's the only option to be fair :clap2:

Have you not contacted [MENTION=12852]pauli cee[/MENTION] yet to put this in?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here