Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Liam neeson

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Actually - Thats very true

But let's say you were scouting at a Brighton football match and you saw two players you were going to recommend to someone

1. Lewis Dunk

2. Yves Bissouma

I guarantee most would not include the word ''white'' when making reference to and recommending Lewis Dunk

BUT

Most would use the word ''black'' when making reference to and recommending Yves Bissouma

That sort of thing is very harmless but it is in itself a very mild form of racism.

I remember being at a Millwall v Derby match many years ago and recommending a very young player to someone and described the as tall slight blond ''white'' guy - - Even though I am white, I still think it is important to ensure that every race is treated in a similar way, good or bad. So when I describe someone you I feel there needs to be conformity. Either you use skin colour in every instance OR Never use skin colour at all.

Will Hughes was who I was trying to describe at the time.

What if the scout was black?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What if the scout was black?

I wasn't actually scouting. I was just making reference to a good footballer

Same applies though. You either use it all the time or don't use it at all. That's just my own personal take on things and that's what makes me comfortable on how I treat people - I learned that from my mother who never suffered any form of Racism but she suffered Religious Bigotry. She taught all her family that everyone is the same no matter what creed, colour or religion.

Either use it in all instances or not at all

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But let's say you were scouting at a Brighton football match and you saw two players you were going to recommend to someone

1. Lewis Dunk

2. Yves Bissouma

I guarantee most would not include the word ''white'' when making reference to and recommending Lewis Dunk

BUT

Most would use the word ''black'' when making reference to and recommending Yves Bissouma

I agree, but then reverse it and go to an NBA game in a very black part of America and reverse the above. I'm confident the outcome would be the same

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Either use it in all instances or not at all

All instances.

It'd be bloody stupid, and indicative of the 'frightened to say anything in case it could be misconstrued' world we live in at the moment. I've said before, blatant racism is bad - but we've swung the pendulum too far the other way, to the point we're all crapping ourselves as to wether to even acknowledge wether someone is black or not. I was at college in the 80's in Bradford - with more races and cultures than you could shake a stick at, and we all got brilliantly because we talked about race, religion and beliefs freely. Having no 'ooh you can't say that!' moments opened up discussion more than you could ever have imagined.

The more we make it a thing, the more of a thing it'll become. Resentment will bubble under the surface, hidden away, and before you know it a large swathe of people will vote for the UK to leave the EU 'to keep bloody foreigners out' - dark or light skinned.

Oh.... too late.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
1.If a friend had been raped the things that would spring to mine are height, age and hair. Skin colour wouldn't be the first thing to spring to mind.

2. That will never justify looking for the first black man he came across to be murdered, not ever.

Point 1) I think when describing someone properly, skin colour is just as important as height, age and hair, isn't it? Do the Police have a 'do not include' section for skin colour when it comes to e-fits?! If it was the first question he asked, then it's fairly clear he is racist, or at the time was racist.

Point 2) I agree with you. Nobody in their right mind would disagree in fairness.

It might depend on the make up of the neighbourhood too I think.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1.If a friend had been raped the things that would spring to mine are height, age and hair. Skin colour wouldn't be the first thing to spring to mind.
We don't know for sure that it was the first thing that came to mind. I also don't know when or where it was, and how common crimes were there at the time. It used to be common for the police to ask victims what race their attacker was, so it's not really that shocking that he did the same.

2. That will never justify looking for the first black man he came across to be murdered, not ever.
He wasn't looking for the first he came across, he was hoping someone attacked him. So no person innocent of any crime was going to attack him, or be attacked.

I'm not justifying his plan, it was clearly nuts, just clarifying a couple of points.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

1. Lewis Dunk

2. Yves Bissouma

BUT

That sort of thing is very harmless but it is in itself a very mild form of racism.

I remember being at a Millwall v Derby match many years ago and recommending a very young player to someone and described the as tall slight blond ''white'' guy - - Even though I am white, I still think it is important to ensure that every race is treated in a similar way, good or bad. So when I describe someone I feel there needs to be conformity. Either you use skin colour in every instance OR Never use skin colour at all.

Will Hughes was who I was trying to describe at the time.

Yeah, bit like the gay people who are questioned when they came out to their parents, who reply 'when did you tell your parents you were straight?'

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This was 40 years ago and needs to be taken in context with the times. It was a wrong view to take and he has said as such. Everyone will be shouting RACIST ! and only he knows. What possessed him to say it now, only he knows. Seems a bit unwise to me. Still as to his career I doubt it will make any difference as long as he is bankable and as the Clamp said his target demographic is probably not going to be bothered. He peaked with Schindler's List 25 years ago, that was his Apex, never to be repeated but since he reivented himself with Taken, a very decent thriller in his mid 50s he has made a string of ok action films. His latest Cold Pursuit has had very good early reviews. He has £ 75 m in the bank so he is not going to be homeless after this lack of judgement

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
My initial reaction when I read it was "was he drunk when he did this interview?". Beyond that I haven't given it much thought.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For context, he was trying to answer a rather obtuse question: "Why would a man whose son been killed go on a revenge spree? Why would he not just grieve"?

He should have answered "Because that's not the film we made" and moved on.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What is the world coming too

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Amongst my close circle of friends I'm the only white one, not one of them gives a monkeys what Liam Neeson says or not. Im wondering if some of you actually know any black people, because you mistake them as people who are as precious as some of you. The vast majority are like the rest of us, who just get on with life and don't let things people say bother them. Then again I realise time has moved on and you must now tell social media how virtuous and right on you all are.
Stop being offended by words.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amongst my close circle of friends I'm the only white one, not one of them gives a monkeys what Liam Neeson says or not. Im wondering if some of you actually know any black people, because you mistake them as people who are as precious as some of you. The vast majority are like the rest of us, who just get on with life and don't let things people say bother them. Then again I realise time has moved on and you must now tell social media how virtuous and right on you all are.

Has one person on this thread indicated they're offended? Not seen it. :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Who on here is speaking on behalf of black people? Nobody that I can see. Except you of course.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry should have said...Stop pretending to be bothered or offended by words.

Why are you posting then, if you're not bothered or offended by words? You've even discussed it with your mates, asking them what they think....and you're not bovvered....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here