Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham V Brighton And Hove Albion bigger boys 15.00 K.O The EBB Stadium

el punal

Reading that, we're in trouble, big trouble. Potter could be a victim of his success elsewhere... Repeating the trick of being competitive with a small budget time and time again is a hard thing to do. I wish him well, but I suspect this is going to be his toughest gig to date.

He's an intelligent man, and clearly a very astute coach, but our squad is looking rather thin on the proven quality front... indeed it's not just thin, but almost entirely bereft bar two or three players.

It'll be a monumental achievement if he keeps this squad up. Monumental.

Monumental - huge, colossal, gigantic, massive, mammoth, gargantuan, Herculean, titanic, staggering, stupendous, etc.

Wow! Most of us will probably come up with one description if we end up in 17th place - relieved. :drink:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Is there anyone who saw today's game who has anything positive to say?

I've just watched Shoreham in a pre season friendly, not a polished performance in every respect, but after much upheaval some positive performances and a good result.

Yes - Locadia actually looked pretty sharp and I was far more impressed with his attitude than what I've seen before. Also Murray, for all his years, put himself about well and I know many on here will disagree but I suspect he will again be the focal point of our front line.

On the negative side I thought Trossard in the 2nd half was pretty anonymous and had no joy against the physical aspects of Fulham's game. Maybe he like Ali J will need a season or two to develop to us and the Prem.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Wasn't there today, last night we were camped behind the dugout, a few seats away from Sir Bruno.
'Not over animated is he, old Potter? ' I offered.
'So long as it's not another Hyypia, he was like that' came the learned response.

Keep the Faith, roll on Watford.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes - Locadia actually looked pretty sharp and I was far more impressed with his attitude than what I've seen before. Also Murray, for all his years, put himself about well and I know many on here will disagree but I suspect he will again be the focal point of our front line.

On the negative side I thought Trossard in the 2nd half was pretty anonymous and had no joy against the physical aspects of Fulham's game. Maybe he like Ali J will need a season or two to develop to us and the Prem.

If we keep buying ‘project’ players that need a season or two to settle in we will eventually come unstuck, at the moment with the current squad, I feel this season could be it.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think that the key for Potter and us this transfer window is to replace Stephens... not because Stephens isn’t good enough, but because he was completely instrumental in Hughtons team, with his tactics, he slowed the game down and set the tempo.

Potter seems to play much quicker which doesn’t seem to suit Stephens, much as Bridcutt was absolutely key to Poyet back in those days, but when we changed manager their style didn’t suit him and he left soon after.

Stephens may be able to adapt, and I hope so, but if not then we need a quick thinking destroyer to play alongside Davy as a no 1 priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Bridcutt was a mainstay in Oscar’s team, Bridcutt left because Poyet offered him, and us, millions to move to the Premier League with Sunderland.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
It would be astonishing. The club must shirley be ready to announce some key signings.

Don’t hold your breath because all the noise coming out of the club is about evolution not revolution so if we don’t invest in at least a new striker and a couple of other FIRST team signings then we’ll be going down- simple

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It would be astonishing. The club must shirley be ready to announce some key signings.

Obviously this could be the case, I'm just not getting the 'feeling' . . . indeed I'm getting an altogether different feeling of, well, not much really. As you were Mr P... time to prove last season was literally all down to CH... hmmmmmmmm.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Pretty sure Bridcutt was a mainstay in Oscar’s team, Bridcutt left because Poyet offered him, and us, millions to move to the Premier League with Sunderland.

11 Championship games before being sold to Sunderland in January 2014... not really a mainstay...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No thanks. Completely out of his depth in the prem.

Astonishing how many people only remember ‘Championship Cairney’.

Actually, I distinctly remember Premier League Cairney, coming on at Craven Cottage, against Premier League Brighton, and turning the game from 0-2, to 4-2 in his side’s favour.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just back from the game. Observations on today’s showing.
Duffy and Stephens are too slow of thinking for Potterball. But they can learn!
Gross Propper and March better not get injured - easily our best players. After just 2 friendlies!
Steele is not our No.2 keeper. And in other news?
Trossard is very small. And in other news?
Glenn is still Glenn with all his magnificence and frustrations And in other news?
Locardia could come good. And in other news?
Jury still out on Ali J and Andone. And in other news?
I've added my thoughts to your comments. Look forward to your insights after the next friendly.

boik

Time will tell.

In the short term, the club have 19 days and £50m to spend on fees, to create a competitive PL first team, otherwise it’s essentially the players who stunk the PL out last season, plus Trossard. Whilst the likes of Norwich, Villa, West Ham and Leicester have spent the last 2 and a half months investing on the playing side.

Then over a longer term, if Bloom does invest in real quality in the next 19 days, some of those players we’ve just mentioned will deservedly fall down Potter’s pecking order.

Did the players really stink out the PL in the first half of last season? I think the players proved they could play, even in the second half of the season. Battered Watford for 90 minutes and Fulham for 45. Most of them have the skill, so something else was missing.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Did the players really stink out the PL in the first half of last season? I think the players proved they could play, even in the second half of the season. Battered Watford for 90 minutes and Fulham for 45. Most of them have the skill, so something else was missing.

This. I love the way everyone is giving up before the season has even kicked off. I'm confident the players are good enough if played in an effective manner suitable to their skillset, something that we appeared to avoid doing the second half of the season where we allowed ourselves to be pulled back from a respectable position into the mire.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This. I love the way everyone is giving up before the season has even kicked off. I'm confident the players are good enough if played in an effective manner suitable to their skillset, something that we appeared to avoid doing the second half of the season where we allowed ourselves to be pulled back from a respectable position into the mire.
And, yep.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Glorified training I think the season we went up we lost most of the pre season games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here