Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham V Brighton And Hove Albion bigger boys 15.00 K.O The EBB Stadium

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Just back from the game. Observations on today’s showing.
Duffy and Stephens are too slow of thinking for Potterball
Gross Propper and March better not get injured - easily our best players
Steele is not our No.2 keeper
Trossard is very small
Glenn is still Glenn with all his magnificence and frustrations
Locardia could come good
Jury still out on Ali J and Andone

Was there a noticeable difference in pace then? Feared for those two....
Nothing positive from Ali J?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Was there a noticeable difference in pace then? Feared for those two....
Nothing positive from Ali J?

Yes I would say the game was played at a much quicker pace than usual especially in the first half. I’d like to see Dunk and Clarke start v Birmingham. Ali J still getting pushed off the ball too easily but not really on for long enough to judge. On today’s showing I’d put Steele at maybe No. 5 :)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yes I would say the game was played at a much quicker pace than usual especially in the first half. I’d like to see Dunk and Clarke start v Birmingham. Ali J still getting pushed off the ball too easily but not really on for long enough to judge. On today’s showing I’d put Steele at maybe No. 5 :)

Bloody hell. You'd be scared of telling Duffy he was dropped!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
......... and yet there's still some on here who pour scorn on the idea that strengthening CM is our number 1 priority.

I think that the key for Potter and us this transfer window is to replace Stephens... not because Stephens isn’t good enough, but because he was completely instrumental in Hughtons team, with his tactics, he slowed the game down and set the tempo.

Potter seems to play much quicker which doesn’t seem to suit Stephens, much as Bridcutt was absolutely key to Poyet back in those days, but when we changed manager their style didn’t suit him and he left soon after.

Stephens may be able to adapt, and I hope so, but if not then we need a quick thinking destroyer to play alongside Davy as a no 1 priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that the key for Potter and us this transfer window is to replace Stephens... not because Stephens isn’t good enough, but because he was completely instrumental in Hughtons team, with his tactics, he slowed the game down and set the tempo.

Potter seems to play much quicker which doesn’t seem to suit Stephens, much as Bridcutt was absolutely key to Poyet back in those days, but when we changed manager their style didn’t suit him and he left soon after.

Stephens may be able to adapt, and I hope so, but if not then we need a quick thinking destroyer to play alongside Davy as a no 1 priority.

Replacing the defensive midfield sitter (the Makelele role), won’t give:
1. Propper and Gross pace.
2. Montoya the ability to defend against gifted PL leftwingers.
3. Jahanbakhsh and Locadia the confidence and technique to create and score at PL level.
4. Curb Andone’s temper.

Our problems laid elsewhere.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Every season!
Let's break the bank for Berge, get Grimes in and be done with it.

Rick Grimes. :eek: Now you're talking.

rick-grimes.jpg

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
We've played 3 friendlies, given most of the players a chance to prove themselves and now need to make decisions about what we need to strengthen and who we can afford to let go. There's now 3 weeks to get in some new blood. I would assume we're not finished in the transfer market just yet.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
3. Jahanbakhsh and Locadia the confidence and technique to create and score at PL level.
4. Curb Andone’s temper.

1. Neither Gross nor Propper need pace, they both think far quicker than most other players in the team, that’s the key... Gross in particular creates chances all the time from the no 10 role (which he hardly played last season due to injury and change of formation). From DM it is not about pace with feet, it’s quick thinking and making quick passes - both Gross/Propper can do that.

2. I don’t think he was that bad, but yes a RB is certainly a priority, but not key to the way Potter is going to play.

3. Both need a chance in a new system with a new manager.

4. Well yes, maybe some of that was down to frustration at not playing much last season... maybe he will get more playing time this time around?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
4. Curb Andone’s temper.

Reading that, we're in trouble, big trouble. Potter could be a victim of his success elsewhere... Repeating the trick of being competitive with a small budget time and time again is a hard thing to do. I wish him well, but I suspect this is going to be his toughest gig to date.

He's an intelligent man, and clearly a very astute coach, but our squad is looking rather thin on the proven quality front... indeed it's not just thin, but almost entirely bereft bar two or three players.

It'll be a monumental achievement if he keeps this squad up. Monumental.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1. Neither Gross nor Propper need pace, they both think far quicker than most other players in the team, that’s the key... Gross in particular creates chances all the time from the no 10 role (which he hardly played last season due to injury and change of formation). From DM it is not about pace with feet, it’s quick thinking and making quick passes - both Gross/Propper can do that.

2. I don’t think he was that bad, but yes a RB is certainly a priority, but not key to the way Potter is going to play.

3. Both need a chance in a new system with a new manager.

4. Well yes, maybe some of that was down to frustration at not playing much last season... maybe he will get more playing time this time around?

Time will tell.

In the short term, the club have 19 days and £50m to spend on fees, to create a competitive PL first team, otherwise it’s essentially the players who stunk the PL out last season, plus Trossard. Whilst the likes of Norwich, Villa, West Ham and Leicester have spent the last 2 and a half months investing on the playing side.

Then over a longer term, if Bloom does invest in real quality in the next 19 days, some of those players we’ve just mentioned will deservedly fall down Potter’s pecking order.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Interesting game.

We were comfortably better in the first half and Fulham were generally chasing for 45 mins.

Locadia as earlier, was the pick of the players for me, Bernardo literally lost every 50/50, and the left side did look weak.

Duffy as well, perhaps obvious to say, but just not great with the ball at his feet, plus easily pulled out of position.

Second half, was poor. Trossard started and looked so much weaker than Locadia, contributing little.

Propper who had done good and bad things in the first half, then gave a sloppy pass, Duffy completely sold himself and they were away. Great finish by Cairney.

We then looked really ordinary for the remainder of the game. The midfield disappeared, AJ and Andone both came on and looked awful, and really we look d vulnerable every time they attacked.

Steele saved us 2 or 3 times and prior to that Stephens and Bernardo had a misunderstanding, which allowed them through. Dunk was outpaced, then Steele, Duffy and Dunk blocked before Cairney slotted home.

We offered very little offensively in the last 25 mins, with no obvious plan. The first half we were higher and won the ball higher up and more purposefully.

I think we need a Murray replacement (no surprise there), and someone like Cairney though perhaps Alzate can step up (but he is very young).

Cheers. Potter looked about 2 years older in this afternoons interview but at least he now understands the enormous task in hand just getting to know what he has really inherited. Not a lot of time to get ready but will be fascinating watching the team learn in real time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reading that, we're in trouble, big trouble. Potter could be a victim of his success elsewhere... Repeating the trick of being competitive with a small budget time and time again is a hard thing to do. I wish him well, but I suspect this is going to be his toughest gig to date.

He's an intelligent man, and clearly a very astute coach, but our squad is looking rather thin on the proven quality front... indeed it's not just thin, but almost entirely bereft bar two or three players.

It'll be a monumental achievement if he keeps this squad up. Monumental.

It would be astonishing. The club must shirley be ready to announce some key signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here