Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyway I received a mail today saying I should be more helpful to our colleagues and not have told them to call senior people to get things done....THIS IS HOW IT WORKS FFS

should ask if this is implied promotion, and you have authority to sign off such matters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some idiot at work today forwarded an email to colleagues who were obviously not intended to read the email because some of it concerned their dubious teaching practices. I then got pissy responses, ccd to all (a small group of 7 or 8) from one person concerned. Background: the mess we are in involves 8 students found guilty of plagiarism out of 14 in the class, due to some software called Turnitin, that acts like VAR but, unlike VAR, Turnitin is used to check for common words in every bit of written work done by a student against the whole of the internet; instead of seeing the 'hits' were random bollocks the committe has ****ed over 8 students, most of whom are guilty of nothing, but that's another story.

I emailed my colleague to say this was poor and he should have checked with me before forwarding my email. His response was that it fits the 'You said, we did' agenda'.

The utter plank. The 'you said we did agenda' means encouraging students to ask for changes to teaching and assessment processes, via the staff student liaison committee etc ('you said'), and for staff to not only respond but publicise the response on the uni's web pages ('we did'). It doesn't mean forwarding obviously confidential emails to all the 'stakeholders', as he put it. That's like saying that 'inclusion' in society means eating goat as well as pork.

Meanwhile one of my colleagues commented she wasn't surprised at the plagiarism as some of the students are Chinese and their English is poor. FFS. Like that explains why 8 students, including white British students (at least one) have been identified and punished.

When I did my PhD my supervisor said to me that when he became an academic he thought 'thank **** I have left all those wankers I was at school with behind, the Mail readers, the tossers in waistcoats, the dirty ******** who didn't wash, the racists, and the budding rapists and pig-****ers that made sixth form so ****ing depressing. Then pretty soon I realised that all those ***** are now my academic colleagues. FFS'.

He was right.

I need to retire soon, I suspect. Before someone gets seriously ****ing maimed.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No. If one person in the office stinks then where I work an email will be sent to all 45,000 employees, asking them to register for an online human envornment training course and assessment, with compulsort bi-yearly 'refreshers'.

Same with us, you know the culprit but rather just go and have a quiet word a mail will be sent to the whole office in case it offends so the original issue is never dealt with

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My wife and I were brave enough to negotiate the city centre yesterday around 4.30pm without being caught in the stampede of senior management dashing from the office to be able to “work from home” today. Lucky escape.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some idiot at work today forwarded an email to colleagues who were obviously not intended to read the email because some of it concerned their dubious teaching practices. I then got pissy responses, ccd to all (a small group of 7 or 8) from one person concerned. Background: the mess we are in involves 8 students found guilty of plagiarism out of 14 in the class, due to some software called Turnitin, that acts like VAR but, unlike VAR, Turnitin is used to check for common words in every bit of written work done by a student against the whole of the internet; instead of seeing the 'hits' were random bollocks the committe has ****ed over 8 students, most of whom are guilty of nothing, but that's another story.

I emailed my colleague to say this was poor and he should have checked with me before forwarding my email. His response was that it fits the 'You said, we did' agenda'.

The utter plank. The 'you said we did agenda' means encouraging students to ask for changes to teaching and assessment processes, via the staff student liaison committee etc ('you said'), and for staff to not only respond but publicise the response on the uni's web pages ('we did'). It doesn't mean forwarding obviously confidential emails to all the 'stakeholders', as he put it. That's like saying that 'inclusion' in society means eating goat as well as pork.

Meanwhile one of my colleagues commented she wasn't surprised at the plagiarism as some of the students are Chinese and their English is poor. FFS. Like that explains why 8 students, including white British students (at least one) have been identified and punished.

When I did my PhD my supervisor said to me that when he became an academic he thought 'thank **** I have left all those wankers I was at school with behind, the Mail readers, the tossers in waistcoats, the dirty ******** who didn't wash, the racists, and the budding rapists and pig-****ers that made sixth form so ****ing depressing. Then pretty soon I realised that all those ***** are now my academic colleagues. FFS'.

He was right.

I need to retire soon, I suspect. Before someone gets seriously ****ing maimed.

As I’m regularly told by colleagues, “Those that can research, those that can’t lecture” and I’m of course on a pure lecturing contract.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I’m regularly told by colleagues, “Those that can research, those that can’t lecture” and I’m of course on a pure lecturing contract.

That's outrageous. Have they not heard of your brilliant research results in the field of tracking down obscure German DVDs long thought obsolete by even the most dedicated adult entertainment devotees? :angel:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Partner works in IT in a Uni - dodgy Turnitin matches caused them to stop using it - but the replacement (that I can't remember the name of) is possibly even worse. There was at least one court case for defamation and lost qualifications settled before it made it public.

Relying on computers to try save a few quid against giving human markers more time is a ****ing awful idea.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Ref “Yammer” A bit of self inflicted Bell Cheese here. It’s a MS Office chat board and a PITA. My company now has this along with Skype, the phone (desk and cell) sms and good old walking to someone’s desk and having a chat. Oh and don’t forget Twatter & Farcebook etc. All in the name of being more efficient. My arse! :tantrum:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Partner works in IT in a Uni - dodgy Turnitin matches caused them to stop using it - but the replacement (that I can't remember the name of) is possibly even worse. There was at least one court case for defamation and lost qualifications settled before it made it public.

Relying on computers to try save a few quid against giving human markers more time is a ****ing awful idea.
Turnitin, or something similar, is essential.

Interested by anecdote that "dodgy matches" caused a uni to stop using it as a tool for identifying suspected misconduct.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ref “Yammer” A bit of self inflicted Bell Cheese here. It’s a MS Office chat board and a PITA. My company now has this along with Skype, the phone (desk and cell) sms and good old walking to someone’s desk and having a chat. Oh and don’t forget Twatter & Farcebook etc. All in the name of being more efficient. My arse! :tantrum:

We started using Yammer a while back. I say "we" but all I did was unsubscibe from all the groups I'd been automatically signed up to.

Anyway I'll not have any more of this as I took early retirement last week and I probably won't bother getting another job.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yesterday we got an email about our new "Odour-free Workplace Policy"
I reckon someone just complained about a person with bad BO.

"It is the policy of XXXX to provide a healthy environment for staff, clients and visitors to our offices. XXXX realizes that an increasing number of people have developed sensitivities to certain chemicals and strong fragrances or odours, and has adopted this policy to address potential health concerns and other sensitivities related to strong odours in the workplace.

XXXX supports the creation of an environment that is free from strong fragrances or other odours that may cause adverse physical effects or otherwise threaten the ongoing health and safety of individuals. Excessively strong or pungent scents & odours caused by fragrances or poor hygiene can reflect poorly on our company and may have a detrimental impact on company culture & morale.

We ask for everyone’s cooperation in trying to minimize strong fragrances/odours and body odour in support of our efforts to accommodate health concerns of staff and visitors and the avoidance of unnecessary workplace health and safety hazards.

Potential Health Hazards
Strong fragrances and odours may adversely affect a person’s health, and some or all of the following symptoms may occur:
 Headaches;
 Dizziness;
 Light-headedness;
 Nausea;
 Fatigue;
 Weakness;
 Insomnia;
 Upper respiratory symptoms;
 Shortness of breath;
 Difficulty with concentration; and
 Skin irritation.

Allergic and asthmatic patients, as well as those with other conditions, report that certain odours, even in the smallest amounts, can trigger an attack.
The severity of these symptoms can vary. Some employees may experience mild irritation while others are incapacitated or must give up many activities (such as going to public places) in order to avoid more severe reactions."

When you say "we got an email" are you quite sure that you weren't the only targeted recipient?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Wouldn't it have been better management to tell those responsible for whatever smell to do something about it, or would that be politically incorrect and infringe someone's human rights?

As per my previous post above, maybe they were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here