Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is CH the clubs greatest ever manager?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Only if he wears white shoes at the Wembley final.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not necessarily, no.

- He has had more money to spend on transfers & wages (relatively speaking) than any other manager
- He has worldy training and medical facilities than no other manager has had

For the level we're at, he's only spending the amount it takes to be competitive so the first one is a bit unfair. It would be interesting to see how his spending compares as a proportion of the money that's come into the club in recent years (i.e. not from Tony Bloom). And almost all the clubs we're up against have great training and medical facilities - back then, next to nobody did. Most physios were still bucket and sponge men.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hughton and Mullery are hard to separate for me.

If we stay up, that’s another great accomplishment for CH, as we really are in the basement group for both squad cost and player payroll costs. Which is on top of the brilliant Championship counter attacking football served up for 2.5 seasons, with a countless stack of goals scored, wins, and some annihilations of highly rated teams along the way. Finally, add the bloke’s class - CH never slags off players or the Board’s transfer budget, unlike many of his peers in football management; he simply works positively with the resources to hand.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
At the moment I would say probably not , but by the end of the season I would say Yes.

Still has some work to do to win over many of the "bore brigade" who insist we should play like Fulham week in week out but IF we were to stay up and win the cup by boring one nil wins I am sure they will change their minds

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
He's taken us to the prem, kept us up once and probably will a 2nd time and has lead us to an FA cup semi final for the first time since 1983, especially with the jump in skill difference and money in the modern age of football is it fair to call him the greatest manager to represent the Albion?

If we do not get relegated this season then he is clearly TopMan

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Maybe, but Frank Scott-Walford had the greatest moustache...

FrankScottWalford.png

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
CH is almost there once we start playing the type of entertaining football Mullery teams used to , he will be there

There is no way that teams like us can play entertaining football against the super sides in this league,however in the Championship we could, so there would be some compensation should we be relegated

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Mullers for me; I know things have changed, but I like a bit of fire and brimstone.
C.H. has done well well and I am pretty certain we will stay up this season.
The test for me is can he improve our abysmal away form next season and be just a teensy weensy bit more aggressive/positive on the odd occasion?
I don't think that is asking too much.
Perhaps it is an age thing, but I just can't summon up the level of excitement that I did when Mullers was in his pomp.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The greatest manager we ever had was Brian Clough, although obviously not for anything he did during his stint with us! Thread title says greatest manager ever, so probably Charlie Webb when you take into consideration contribution to the club.

I take your point, but one thing is clear, if there was a poll for the biggest c--t to ever manage our club, my vote would be there for Clough.:wanker::tosser:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mullers for me; I know things have changed, but I like a bit of fire and brimstone.
C.H. has done well well and I am pretty certain we will stay up this season.
The test for me is can he improve our abysmal away form next season and be just a teensy weensy bit more aggressive/positive on the odd occasion?
I don't think that is asking too much.
Perhaps it is an age thing, but I just can't summon up the level of excitement that I did when Mullers was in his pomp.

It’s an age thing. I’ve calmed down quite a bit in watching football, sitting there fairly philosophically, at tense PL chess matches. I still go berserk when we score, but that’s a bit of a rarity in PL matches, especially against the top 6.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here