Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Those times are long gone. Strategic mistakes and greed then - trying to make too much money from the collapse of the USSR - lead us to where we are now.

Yes, the age old problem. I do wonder just how much Russian money is being laundered in London.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wrong thread.

remoaner

a person who does not get the right result from a democratic vote e.g. the vote from a yes / no referendum to exit or leave the European Union

Remoaner

A person, typically with an IQ below 4, who thinks Brexit will turn Britain into a solitary isolationist country that will deport all foreign people.

Meanwhile, as shown above, firm Brexiteer claims that most British people are thick.

https://uk.reuters.com/.../britons-would-now-vote-to-stay-in-eu-want-second-referend...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Battling a sore throat at Prime Minister's Questions, she said: "I may not have my own voice but I understand the voice of the country."

Yes of course you do. We only have to look back at the election you called where you clearly didn’t understand the nation.

Someone really needs to put her out of her misery and make her stand down. She’s deluded.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Who posted that?

Right, so when ManOfSussex said "Oh here we go again - The EU need us more than we need them", half an hour ago, he was referring to a claim by the Leave campaign over 3 years ago.

It's dumb and dumber :facepalm:

Who posted that?

We're totally up the creek without a *****ing paddle, we're an utter international joke all of our own making and I was referring to you and others pointing out the well known mutually assured damage from no deal, as the straw clutching by leave voters on this thread for the purposes of 'balance' enters the 11th desperate hour.

If anyone's dumb and dumber it you for being sold the the pup in 2016 in the first place.

Last edited:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yes, they had a general election and voted in the pro austerity minister, who realised the only way to get out of the mess, their government had got themselves in to, was to accept the bail out.
It was hard but the Greeks themselves had the choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/world/europe/greeks-vote-in-parliamentary-elections.html

I'm not talking about a GE.

There was a proposed referendum in 2011 on bailout conditions which was cancelled, and an actual referendum in 2015 where the people overwhelmingly rejected the bailout conditions, but this was ignored and heavier conditions implemented. The Greeks did not have a choice (just the illusion of one). They voted against what the EU forced upon them.

Herr Tubthumper previously said the Greeks repeatedly voted to stay in the EU and that the Greek people voted twice on an EU rescue package (incorrect). I had already corrected him before on this. I was just using that to illustrate that both Leave and Remainers are misinformed and spread misinformation.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So PM still says no deal is better than a bad deal. But plans to vote this evening against no deal.

Anyone confused??

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We certainly won't get an extension as the 27 EU countries have to be unanimous. Tory MPs are lobbying countries right now.

[tweet]1105812667384635392[/tweet]
The Extension is now off the table. No point in voting tomorrow on it.

My guess :

*No deal* - 90%
May's Deal (3rd attempt) - 5%
A50 Revocation - 5%

I don't mind for myself - no complaints, there have been plenty of good times. It breaks my heart for my young daughter.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No, and don't jump to conclusions.

I cannot respect a referendum obtained by criminal and corrupt means.

Interestingly I cannot recall any posts from you prior or shortly after the referendum result about criminal and corrupt activity, but there was plenty from you vehemently defending a Remain position, that's fine but then your mask slips and by November 2016 you suddenly find that 'The High Court has said it was an opinion poll and not legally binding', it's a give away you just want your own way at any cost, fess up ......

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What a massive f_ck up. Honestly. A shit show from start to finish.

If we revoke and remain = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look.

If we have a second referendum and remain = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look.

If we have a second referendum and leave with no deal = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look, and what a mess we've made.

If we crash out with no deal = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look, and what a mess we've made.

It's now lose/lose for the United Kingdom. It's just how badly we lose which is the issue....

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Interestingly I cannot recall any posts from you prior or shortly after the referendum result about criminal and corrupt activity, but there was plenty from you vehemently defending a Remain position, that's fine but then your mask slips and by November 2016 you suddenly find that 'The High Court has said it was an opinion poll and not legally binding', it's a give away you just want your own way at any cost, fess up ......

Yes, the Referendum Act 2015 stated it was advisory only. The Court of Appeal recently said that if the referendum had been binding, it would be cancelled for corruption, but ironically because it was advisory, it cannot. I am not saying I haven't vehemently defended Remain when it is obvious that I have.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nothing. But you didn't say that originally. Will you admit that you were wrong?

Implying the EU will not be negatively affected by No Deal? Wrong.

Saying our imports will be zero rated? Wrong.

Ok. :rolleyes:

If I am wrong, then I don't see it or understand why.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
This unprecedented period of division and chaos in our country is entirely the Tories' doing. No-one else's - it is literally entirely theirs. If you are in any way unconvinced I think it's time for a recap.

Firstly, Cameron decided to foist a referendum on us in the mistaken belief that it would settle the Tories' split on Europe once and for all by showing the 'Eurosceptics' that the majority wanted to stay in the EU. He never dreamed for an instant that the slavering bigots of the tabloid press, dark money and the likes of Cambridge Analytica would prove cleverer and more influential than his countless corporate backers when it came to influencing voters. A ghastly coalition of liars won the referendum in a welter of fake news and appalling xenophobia.

Then May called a snap general election in the mistaken belief (re-enforced, let us remember, by 99% of all known mainstream media) that she would trounce the 'unelectable' Jeremy Corbyn and gain the huge majority to complete Brexit in the way she wanted to. Instead she lost her slim majority and could only cling on to power by bribing the unspeakable 17th century boggle eyed rednecks of the DUP.

(An aside here: if you are going to inveigh against 'terrorist sympathisers' then the DUP are as much in that category as Sinn Fein. Of course, one person's 'terrorist sympathisers' are another woman's route to power in a country with a tame right wing press and cowed BBC. Imagine the utter furore if the situation had been reversed, Labour were the largest party and Corbyn then persuaded Sinn Fein to take their seats to give him a majority....)

And then May made the most appalling and yes, disloyal, unpatriotic decision of all the festering, diarrhoea sodden, burst colostomy bag in a leaking bucket of unspeakably crap decisions she has come up with in the past three years....

Instead of recognising the severity of the situation and reaching out to other parties, she put the interests of the Conservative Party above those of the country and allowed her Brexit strategy to be dictated by the appalling Lord Snooty Rees Mogg and the aforementioned DUP.

And that brings us on to the backstop issue. Let us not forget that the DUP are supposed to be representing a province which voted 63% to stay in the EU. Although a huge obstacle which needed to be high on the agenda in any Brexit negotiations, the Irish border issue had no real traction during what was (surprise, surprise) a thoroughly Anglocentric referendum campaign. So when it came up in Brussels the DUP, holding the balance of power in Parliament, could hold the country to ransom on the backstop issue to appease their ghastly followers with no problem at all - in no way reflecting the views of the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland.

If May had reached out to other parties during negotiations and sidelined the slavering bigots on the Tory Right the DUP would have turned against her, binning her majority, and the Conservative Party would have split. As a literally lifelong Tory loyalist apparatchik devoid of empathy, humanity or imagination (those being self evidently the qualities required for that role) she was determined to avoid those eventualities at all costs.

Like Cameron who foisted the filthy referendum on us in the first place, she deliberately chose to split the country in two to avoid the Tory Party falling apart. Families and friendships torn asunder and British citizens literally fighting in streets and pubs is preferable to her than the end of the disgusting organisation to which she has dedicated her life.

I hope the Tory Party self-destructs anyway. I think it will. To coin a phrase, Parliament has to take back control now and save us from the abyss. There will be cross party co-operation and Lord Snooty won't like that. Rot in hell, Rees Mogg. Rot in hell.

And the rest of us? Weep, Britain, weep. And if you care about this country, as I most certainly do, remember what the Tories - no one else, just the selfish, self-obsessed, navel gazing Tory Party - have done to us and never, ever, ever vote for them again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What a massive f_ck up. Honestly. A shit show from start to finish.

If we revoke and remain = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look.

If we have a second referendum and remain = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look.

If we have a second referendum and leave with no deal = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look, and what a mess we've made.

If we crash out with no deal = What a load of idiots we've made ourselves look, and what a mess we've made.

It's now lose/lose for the United Kingdom. It's just how badly we lose which is the issue....
No good outcomes now.

Only the fantasy one of *no deal* crash out, followed by 2 weeks of country collapse, and then emergency joining of EFTA, and arguing the legal case that we never sent the EEA withdrawal letter, giving the required 1 year notice ( deliberate hedging ?, Hammond conveniently 'forgot the postage stamp' ? ).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes, the Referendum Act 2015 stated it was advisory only. The Court of Appeal recently said that if the referendum had been binding, it would be cancelled for corruption, but ironically because it was advisory, it cannot. I am not saying I haven't vehemently defended Remain when it is obvious that I have.

So stop saying that you have ever respected the referendum result, you have either hoped it was some irrelevant opinion poll, not legally binding and more recently criminal and corrupt, it is clear you would be happy to overturn the result by any means and willing to cling on to anything irrespective of its merits to do so, ugly position to me and many others.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here