Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The main difference between the 1st & 2nd half against Huddersfield

View from the Pier

Feb 27, 2019
Agree Andone was game changer but against a very poor Huddersfield defence, can't see him getting much from the CP defence which is let's face it been very efficient recently. More important we defend well but with their forward players in form it could be a long afternoon

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, it would be that simple to many a person, but this is Chris Hughton that puts Bong before Bernardo and any of the midfield before Bissouma, so it isn't really that simple.

Apart from the multiple times this season that he hasn't. Bissouma started 10 games out of 28 this season and 10 further apps from the bench. The other games he was injured.
And likewise Bernardo had a run of 9 games in a row in Nov / Dec (then he was injured) ahead of Bong and is now back , fit.
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
PS: Bissouma is still yet to score in a premier league game and alongside some flashes of brilliance (the cup games especially) has had below par performances, including on Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For me it was a combination of Stankovic going off, which gave the midfield a lot more freedom, and Andone coming on who offered so much more (pace, movement and beating defenders) than Murray

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have no idea why we didn't switch on yesterday. The worrying thing is, if you play like that - for at least 30 minutes - you are diminishing your chances of a win by a third of the game. I couldn't understand it at all. Home against the worst team in the Prem and treating them as if we were playing against Man City away. I really felt uncomfortable about the first half. That feeling that if they get a draw or win, we are really in the shit. And by half time we had no idea what way this game would go.

But I think about things like this, was this CH's instructions or were the players just basically tight and scared about conceding at home in front of the North Stand? Whatever it was, it was like watching Frank Bruno going up against Mike Tyson and seeing the fear in his eyes.

If they weren't playing to CH why were they disregarding him? If they weren't, why was CH playing like that? There is a huge chasm between a supporters view of playing and the professional coach. But we do question the reasons, and have every right to. So... if we were playing a coaches game plan in the first half, why? It was absolute dross. If they weren't playing to instructions then they were quite clearly not doing their jobs.

I think the crowd played a huge part yesterday in their dissatisfaction, not by booing but by an atmosphere of this is not good enough emanating from every corner of the stadium at half time. Why does the manager only pick them up at half time and not from KO? Or conversely, why do the players decide not to perform until they have to? We, once again, it has happened many times this season, have not seen our team perform until the second half. This really needs to be addressed, and I am sure they do behind closed doors, but I for one find it quite baffling how the same team can turn out different performances from one 45 mins to the next. If players can't understand in their full time role during the week what to do at the weekend what is happening?

I'm just confused as to the Jekyll and Hyde that we have become.

It's our normal game plan, nullify any early threat and frustrate the opposition by not conceding an early goal. Then when in possession make sure we always have men behind the ball incase we loose possession and get exposed, this leads to a slow build up of play and our players only making simple passes until we run out of ideas and hit a ball forward to either an offside striker or an on rushing goalkeeper. We are always hopeful of a bit of luck or a set piece that pays off but never really open ourselves up during the 1st half.

The same mentality is often in place when we do score first with the emphasis being on not conceading, this can frustrate the crowd as we want more goals... We like to start the 2nd half a little differently so we show a little more energy and urgency to get players forward in the hope that the opposition are still in half--time mode. Then around 70minutes when our opposition are tiring we hope to score.

Not always a successful game plan but one that gets us enough points to be out of the relegation zone

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apart from the multiple times this season that he hasn't. Bissouma started 10 games out of 28 this season and 10 further apps from the bench. The other games he was injured.
And likewise Bernardo had a run of 9 games in a row in Nov / Dec (then he was injured) ahead of Bong and is now back , fit.
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
PS: Bissouma is still yet to score in a premier league game and alongside some flashes of brilliance (the cup games especially) has had below par performances, including on Saturday.

I think 'below par performances' has to be your opinion and not fact. Propper scored his first goal in two seasons a week ago, are goals what it's about when being an effective midfielder?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think 'below par performances' has to be your opinion and not fact. Propper scored his first goal in two seasons a week ago, are goals what it's about when being an effective midfielder?

Bissouma has had disappointing performances and some excellent performances but yes thats subjective.
But Hughton either, according to you, hasn't played Bissouma ahead of any other midfielder when clearly he has. So what is it ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bissouma has had disappointing performances and some excellent performances but yes thats subjective.
But Hughton either, according to you, hasn't played Bissouma ahead of any other midfielder when clearly he has. So what is it ?

When he has a fit Gross, Stephens and Propper, Bissouma rarely gets a look in, am I wrong?

No. But then neither technically are West Ham and the 11 other teams below them.

I think you know differently, silly reply.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When he has a fit Gross, Stephens and Propper, Bissouma rarely gets a look in, am I wrong?

I think you know differently, silly reply.

There's no clear pattern for Bissouma and this hasn't really been tested as Hughton hasn't really had all three fit players at his disposal this season for any long period. He appeared ahead of a fit Gross for example at beginning of this season (Liverpool (A). But you were absolutely equivocal about it. Never happened apparently.
And yes. agreed. We're not out of relegation trouble . you could just as equally argue that Huddersfield or Fulham aren't down yet.
but thats not your point , really is it ? - you just want to have a unfair dig at Hughton. Fair enough.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There's no clear pattern for Bissouma and this hasn't really been tested as Hughton hasn't really had all three fit players at his disposal this season for any long period. He appeared ahead of a fit Gross for example at beginning of this season (Liverpool (A). But you were absolutely equivocal about it. Never happened apparently.
And yes. agreed. We're not out of relegation trouble . you could just as equally argue that Huddersfield or Fulham aren't down yet.
but thats not your point , really is it ? - you just want to have a unfair dig at Hughton. Fair enough.

I was not equivocal about anything, I merely said he is not picked ahead of those three, ok you pointed out a game, well done you. One in around 30, not bad huh?
You seem to have a large chip on your shoulder. I am pointing out that we have a fantastic midfielder that doesn't get used as much as he should be and all of a sudden I have a Hughton agenda. Well thought out :ffsparr:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Bissouma has all the attributes to be a top midfielder which is why the fans have warmed to him. He can tackle, pass, shoot, go by players. But to date his end product has been patchy. Two assists against Derby, a goal against Bournemouth. He's still young and learning.

We need to get away from the eternal 'brilliant or useless' narrative on NSC. (This isn't aimed at you Jem as you are more nuanced than most). One reason the club has progressed so much in recent years is because we don't get too high or too low whatever the outcome of games. We have a consistent philosophy we fine tune, led by the gaffer. It has served us well.

We all get frustrated by poor periods of play, up and down form of players. But we owe the team and the gaffer not to judge by the knee-jerk.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
But we're not out of relegation danger, are we?

Never said we were I said out of the relegation zone...But considering the bookies and experts start each season with us as a relegation certainty its not bad to have not been in the relegation zone at any point during our Premier League era

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Our midfield three really struggled with attacking in the first half. We know that Stephens is better placed protecting the back four as he offers little going forward but Bissouma and Pröpper should have been bombing on but were sitting back with Dale marking space with little Huddersfield threat. This was probably because we were caught once or twice on the break and the players lost confidence as relegation threatened teams sometimes do.

So much this. The midfield three in the first half were just in a flat line all the time, with no one prepared to break and get forward to support Murray or get their defence backpedalling. It also made it very easy for a careful through ball from Huddersfield into the space behind them to cause a few anxious moments. I just cannot believe that this is what we worked on in training and deliberately set ourselves up to play against the bottom team. It was just completely rigid.

Second half it was much better as Stephens sat a little deeper allowing Propper and Bissouma to get forward. Also we moved the ball a lot quicker and Andone was superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here