Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If I was desperate to move, and the club said they'd reject offers and keep me, I'd hand in the transfer request long before the last day of the season.

Unless he knows we cannot or won't get that extra special striker we all seem to think we are missing therefore thinking we can't make promotion.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Personally i think Stephens is a better player than Hendrick and that is also the option of a Derby supporting mate who has a season ticket, so Burnley better up the ante significantly. I still think they will come back in January if we hold our nerve.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It doesn't need to be his money to hold an opinion though, does it?
I didn't say he wasn't allowed the opinion, I just pointed out that rotting in the reserves wouldn't be good for Tony's wallet, and therefore not good for the club.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't think Stephens will be going to Burnley now, having tapped him and his agent up all summer with derisory bids, I don't think the club will sell to them. I imagine it's Hull or another. But is there a way back for Dale with us now that he has handed in a transfer request?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
The worst thing for us fans to do now is Spam his twitter account with angry and insulting tweets and messages.

Oh too late... I've already seen people doing that FFS! :facepalm:.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unless he knows we cannot or won't get that extra special striker we all seem to think we are missing therefore thinking we can't make promotion.
If he said to the club a couple of weeks ago 'I'm happy to stay if you get a top striker', the club would have told him their view if we don't get the striker (ie, you're staying regardless) - he could then have handed in a request to leave.

I think it's unlikely he's done this on the last day purely because we haven't got a striker in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect he will now be gone to the highest bidder today. Hull sounds more likely than Burnley though if the reports of Hendricks medical are correct. We have already replaced Stephens with Sidwell & Norwood coming in. I think Dack is a more realistic addition today if Dale does leave. It would be a shame to see him go as i have very much enjoyed watching him play. Can't blame the guy for trying to improve his career though. Onwards and upwards.
That's not entirely true about a replacement.

Sidwell replaced his own expiring loan, and Norwood replaced Crofts.

We'd still need a replacement for Dale.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] You are of course correct - it's not. I'd still quite like us to play that level of hardball though. The way this story ends though is the way it always does - he'll be gone by the end of the day.

You rather have an unhappy player in the reserves than a £7m cheque ?? Hmmmm really

Yep. Might send a message out we're not going to be bullied by players at such a ridiculous time. I'd feel differently if he had done this a week ago.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have no inside knowledge but I don't subscribe to this view.

I can't believe that neither the club nor his agent hadn't let the club know they'd quite like to head off to pastures new/greener/richer/Match-of-the-Day-er and gave the club the opportunity to do what they felt was the right thing. And they probably felt that c£7m for a Championship midfielder with less than a year on his contract was decent enough compensation.

The club have not played ball, as is their right of course, so there is only one course of action available to him.

If he sees this as his chance to get to the promised land of the Premier League, what is he going to do? He's not an Albion fan, he'll have little loyalty to the club but he will very much want to progress his career and secure the future of his family.

Don't get me wrong, it's far from brilliant for the Albion, but if I put myself in his shoes, I imagine I'd be doing the same.

In 9 months time he can cash in on a free transfer somewhere. I don't think its unreasonable for him to play out the final season of his contract here and help us try to reach the PL. He's 26, if he maintains his performances he'll easily get a lucrative move to a PL club next summer, he might even get there with us.

I appreciate he doesn't "owe" us anything, but to slap in a transfer request 12 hours before the window shuts leaves a very sour taste. Now if he doesn't get his move, it looks like we're stuck with an unhappy player for the rest of the season. He could have buttoned it, knuckled down and been welcomed back into the team. Instead he's issued the "come and get me" plea at the last minute. Now if he stays and his performances drop (entirely feasible), then how forgiving are the fans going to be ? And what effect could this have on the dressing room.

Shitty move by Dale. I hope he goes now, I sincerely hope he goes.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
If I was an agent, I'd probably suggest doing this, as I could probably get a larger cut of the transfer fee, and my client could probably get higher wages from the club if no bids are accepted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bridcutt and Buckley anyone?
They've not exactly been world beaters since they moved on, after throwing wobblers about getting moves a couple of years ago have they? ???

No, I think it's more Elliott Bennett, who did stay until the end of that season, before going to Norwich.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In regards to why people wonder why players only now put in requests to leave, many contracts are now structured that the leaving player has an agreement that they will receive a fee when they leave if they didn't put in an official transfer request.

This may be an agreed lump sum or a "loyalty" calculation. I.e 10% of their annual wage if they leave (without a transfer request) after 2 years or their deal, 15% if they played 3 years before leaving etc etc.

The incentive to not put in a request is financial. End of.

Of course, the buying club may turn to, in this case, Dale and say "we will cover the money you are losing by handing in a transfer request". This is why you often see requests put in on the last day.

It's all behind the scenes wrangling. This is why I take ANY reporting on transfer with a pinch of salt. We probably see less than 1% of what is actually happening.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] Might send a message out we're not going to be bullied by players at such a ridiculous time.

I'm not sure this message would be welcome to potential signings (mystery striker X) whom may wish to progress his career to the top (Prem club & international caps).

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I would sell him now, highest bidder, should get at east £8m. Try and then get in this decent striker we are after if one is available, and spend over the odds if needed. We were prepared to spend 4m on Pritchard, so we could spend big.

Easier said then done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here