Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] English sparkling wine

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Having never drunk piss, I cannot compare but bow to your superior experience.

But please share why you drank piss and if it was yours.
Does the taste vary depending on whose piss it is?

PS I love wine :)
When I was 18 me and my mates dared each other to drink our own piss on a train..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
I love our local Sussex sparkling wines but my favourite is still Camel Valley, also available from Waitrose.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't need to. I understand the denomination system, and used to work in the wine industry.
So you're too arrogant to believe there's something related to wine that you don't know?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I believe a famous Champagne house is growing grapes somewhere in Kent.
Climate now the same as Champagne, don't know when the first bottles will be ready.
The problem with English sparkling wine is the name Champagne.
I think people seem to forget that Champagne is only sparkling wine,but for any celebration or present people will buy champagne and not English sparkling, which is about the same price as decent champagne but, in my opinion as good, if not better than French NV, but I don't think England will ever reach the heights of Dom Perignon or Krug.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to the French the grapes that grow champagne must be grown in Champagne, for it to be given that name.
I believe a famous Champagne house is growing grapes somewhere in Kent.
Will they be allowed to call it Champagne? Bit pointless if they can't.

Climate now the same as Champagne
I've read it's better here now.
I think people seem to forget that Champagne is only sparkling wine,but for any celebration or present people will buy champagne and not English sparkling, which is about the same price as decent champagne but, in my opinion as good, if not better than French NV
I stopped using Champagne (for celebration) a long time ago. I've found English sparkling wine to be better value for money. I'm not referring to the really expensive ones, as I wouldn't spend that much.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Will they be allowed to call it Champagne? Bit pointless if they can't.

I've read it's better here now.
I stopped using Champagne (for celebration) a long time ago. I've found English sparkling wine to be better value for money. I'm not referring to the really expensive ones, as I wouldn't spend that much.

I wouldn't have thought so, I believe the thing about 'Champagne' is true, bit like Cornish Pasties.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't have thought so, I believe the thing about 'Champagne' is true, bit like Cornish Pasties.
So a famous Champagne house is going to start selling English sparkling wine?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So is the cheaper English Sparkling better than Cava or Prosecco?
Certainly our Expensive sparkling is at least as good as French NV.
Actually one thing I do know (having been on a tour of English vineyards in Cornwall and Sussex) is that they bought in Champagne experts from France to help them along a bit, in fact a lot.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So is the cheaper English Sparkling better than Cava or Prosecco?
Prosecco tastes a lot different. Like is an ale better than a larger?
Actually one thing I do know (having been on a tour of English vineyards in Cornwall and Sussex) is that they bought in Champagne experts from France to help them along a bit, in fact a lot.
It would be silly not to. All industries employ experts from abroad to help.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So a famous Champagne house is going to start selling English sparkling wine?

Apparently, the conditions in the south east and the soil is that good now for wine grapes, hence the success of Sussex wine, Camel Valley down here and many others dotted around.
Whatever happened to Lamberhurst vineyards, they have been around for a very long time, I know they produced still white that was almost identical to German wine like Liebfraumilch, but don't know if they produce sparkling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
IMG_5339.jpg

I ended up buying these from Waitrose. Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let us know what he thinks of them (and what you think, if you get to try them).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can also get Californian Champagne.

No you can't

Yes you can. You've been able to for well over 100 years. Look it up.

Don't need to. I understand the denomination system, and used to work in the wine industry.

So you're too arrogant to believe there's something related to wine that you don't know?

Arguing about champagne. Modern football eh? :lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Arguing about champagne. Modern football eh? :lolol:

Just for info, Moet & Chandon (who I personally do not rate at all) have massive vineyards here in Victoria. They produce massive amounts of bubbles which are lapped up by many, sparkling wine is seriously popular here. I don’t think France produces sparkling wine any better than anyone else unless you start talking about the expensive staff. And when you start doing that the game changes, as said before, I don’t rate Moët, but that is based on the NV stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just about for pop the cork. Happy Fridat!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Just for info, Moet & Chandon (who I personally do not rate at all) have massive vineyards here in Victoria. They produce massive amounts of bubbles which are lapped up by many, sparkling wine is seriously popular here. I don’t think France produces sparkling wine any better than anyone else unless you start talking about the expensive staff. And when you start doing that the game changes, as said before, I don’t rate Moët, but that is based on the NV stuff.

Over there isn`t it called just "Chandon"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here