Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Oh bollocks off.

How about a sumptuous volley being scored, nothing coming up on the big screen, unbridled celebrations in the stands, and then just as the teams are lining up for the restart a minute or so later, THEN the big screen declares a review....and its chalked off.

It might be fine and dandy from an armchair, but thats not what I go to a stadium for. Whether the decision is ultimately correct or not, you can stick that RIGHT up your arse mate.

Anyone who believes VAR adds to the drama in football needs their head checking

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh bollocks off.

How about a sumptuous volley being scored, nothing coming up on the big screen, unbridled celebrations in the stands, and then just as the teams are lining up for the restart a minute or so later, THEN the big screen declares a review....and its chalked off.

It might be fine and dandy from an armchair, but thats not what I go to a stadium for. Whether the decision is ultimately correct or not, you can stick that RIGHT up your arse mate.

Seconded the posters being a turnip

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
VAR killed The Amex - crowd and players - after that was overturned in the first half today and having just watched Laporte's 'handball' in the pub just now - this is just total and utter ****. That's the there 'The English Premier League' is it?! Ruined bulll**** more like.

It was noticeable that the var decision not only helped west ham in the obvious way that they were not behind in the game, but also it helped give them an enormous boost when they'd been under the cosh for a good part of the game. We had built up a head of steam but unfortunately, var handed the impetus back to them. Yes I know we'll benefit, but it all seems so clinical and that isn't what the beautiful game is about.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It was noticeable that the var decision not only helped west ham in the obvious way that they were not behind in the game, but also it helped give them an enormous boost when they'd been under the cosh for a good part of the game. We had built up a head of steam but unfortunately, var handed the impetus back to them. Yes I know we'll benefit, but it all seems so clinical and that isn't what the beautiful game is about.

Thank-you, if I were you I'd be more disgusted about the state of Eastbourne town centre on Airbourne and a match-day. If I was from Eastbourne I'd be f****** embarrassed today, frankly.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There's far too much money involved in football to leave decisions down to 3 men in black.

The 3 men in Black did not see the offside, neither did the 11 west sham players on the pitch at the time.

What I don't understand is that after celebrating the goal and the ball back on the center spot, it was over a minute to get the decision, why was only 1 minute added at the end of the first half.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A firm NO in its present form. A review system maybe. The present arrangement really ruins the flow of the game. I want to celebrate a goal when it's scored, not wait two minutes. Not working.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The 3 men in Black did not see the offside, neither did the 11 west sham players on the pitch at the time.

What I don't understand is that after celebrating the goal and the ball back on the center spot, it was over a minute to get the decision, why was only 1 minute added at the end of the first half.

Spoke to a few West Ham on the way back and they had no clue either. Farce.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't get the huff.

The goal went in and I celebrated wildly. It was a beautiful, well taken goal and it was thoroughly deserved.

And then VAR erased it. It hurt. But I accepted it.

Last season I'd have watched the highlights on MOTD and gone "phew, we got away with that".

Adjustment period required but it'll just become part of the game.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thank-you, if I were you I'd be more disgusted about the state of Eastbourne town centre on Airbourne and a match-day. If I was from Eastbourne I'd be f****** embarrassed today, frankly.

Why? I almost never go into town which I understand has a lot of work being done on it anyway at the moment. I think being embarrassed about the place I live is not really relevant. I have lived in some of the scariest postcodes in the country and Eastbourne is a cake walk in comparison.

Have you had a few too many? I was agreeing with your post btw! ???:drink:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yesssssssssss....great goal.....god knows how many minutes later..nooooooooooooo
image1.jpeg

Yesssssssssss....equaliser...oh hang on let’s wait around for what seemed ages for VAR ...oh it’s a goal ...i’ll sit back down
image1 2.jpeg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yesssssssssss....great goal.....god knows how many minutes later..nooooooooooooo
View attachment 114393

Yesssssssssss....equaliser...oh hang on let’s wait around for what seemed ages for VAR ...oh it’s a goal ...i’ll sit back down
View attachment 114394

If those pictures are genuinely in the correct chronological order, then they pretty much tell the whole tale of why var should be abandoned.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Goal line tech is almost 100% accurate, I cannot see how offside can be as it doesn't categorically show when the ball is played forward.

Re Man City, how can a hand ball decision be different for an attacking team compared to a defending team. Had the same ball brushed a Spurs player it wouldn't have been a penalty so how can it be a free kick the other way around.

Why can't you 'categorically show when the ball is played forward'? Seems pretty easy thing to identify with video technology.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Does anyone know what the players think about VAR?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If those pictures are genuinely in the correct chronological order, then they pretty much tell the whole tale of why var should be abandoned.

Why? Because it correctly identifies offside goals?

It was offside. VAR caught it. It sucked. One day we'll benefit.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The game as we know it is over. The disallowed goal, did West Ham appeal, did anyone appeal? If it was offside the the lino should have flagged, that's why he's there. Having seen it on TV it was very very close but was off side, but the lino missed it so one nil to us. Had it been a Hammers goal I don't think anyone would have screamed 'Off Side' because it was so close. As for our second goal, we'd celebrated, Ryan had run his 100 yards and run back again, everyone was ready to take the kick off and yet still the Ref had his hand in his ear checking. This must have been a full two to three minutes and still checking. At this point it was as if they were looking for a reason to chalk it off.
I'm on the fence. Let's check only if the lino puts his/her flag up (or introduce the yellow flags as per US sports).

This

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's a stupid comparison when the objective of football is to get the ball over the oppositions goal line. Goal line technology is hardly required plus it's so much faster to a decision .

The offside rule is there to keep the play in shape preventing tactics such as goal hanging. The obsession with the importance of a correct offside decision goes too far with football especially when you're supposed to play to the whistle. You'd think beating the offside trap was the meaning to the game the way we've brought in var for it.

Why do people get so upset with incorrect referee decisions is what I can't understand? We have a thing called human error. This will occur plenty of times for any human being.. Why not just accept that and allow it to be part of the game? Besides, it's only really the Sky sports football pundits who seem to actually get upset by these human errors made by the refs. Did it really bother any of us that much? Has there ever been a decision where it screamed out for var to your memory? Lampard's England goal and Mendes's Spurs goal against United definitely raised the case of introducing goal line technology, but has there really been a time in the past which has stood out and made you see the needed benefits of something like var? I haven't and that's what makes this var introduction looks like an idea brought forward by people who don't understand the game.

Give it a decade, we'll see a player in the last minute whacking it from 35 yards, a wonder shot which has winner all over it, it flies into the top corner straight into the back of the net, the goalscorer turns around and runs straight towards the big screen and then stands there all eyes on the screen, everyone in anticipation, some fans with their eyes shut, others praying to the sky, and then, the screen reads up "Goal. Correct decision" and the stadium erupts.

I remember the vitriol spilled by a fair few Albion fans when Sol Bamba scored an injury-time winner against us. The reason: it was offside.
I agree with you about humans making erring. We're fallible beings.
In answer to your question, how about Henry's handball goal that took France to the World Cup, thereby depriving Ireland a place?

I think goals will still be celebrated, as will the VAR decisions (which the West Ham fans enjoyed celebrating today).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here