Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2019

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure if I've mentioned it on this thread, but UFOF by Big Thief is charming, and Terminal Paradise is a candidate for track of the year.
This thread has gone a lot quieter in the last year or two, in no small part due to an ending of or downturn in activity from two of its better contributors, but I haven't come across too much in recent months to rave about. But in order to generate a bit of activity, here's Resident's Aot(1/2)Y (apologies for the format):

As Summer has finally arrived (hopefully to stay this time), we’re here to celebrate the fact that we’re already half way through the year. We’ve got to say, the 1st half’s been pretty action packed & if the musical output of 2019 keeps up this kind of quality, we’re going to have some serious trouble putting together a list of just 100 albums for ‘The Resident Annual’ this year.

We’ve each picked our Top 4 albums of the year so far - in no particular order as we just don’t want to be pinned down to that kind of commitment this early in the year. We all submitted our picks individually but to look at them you’d think we’d all conferred to make sure there was as little crossover in our choices as possible! As you’ll see below, although we all apparently get on, musically we continue to walk many different paths.
Hope you enjoy scrolling through the lists below. hopefully it'll remind you of some albums to return to help you discover a gem or 2 that passed you by in the constant flurry of releases. We’d love to hear what your picks to date are too, so please share your fave sonic tipples of the year so far when we post our mid-year round up on our socials.
Love The Residents. x

D E R R Y

W. H. Lung
Incidental Music

"Worth the 2 year wait since first seeing the best new band in the country"

Rustin Man
Drift Code

"'Blackstar' meets 'Spirit Of Eden', a world weary classic from the edge of time"

JULIA JACKLIN
Crushing

"Jacklin pares it all back to possibly even greater effect than on her debut"

Gia Margaret
There’s Always Glimmer

"Probably the most beautiful album in the singer songwriter genre since Julie Byrne’s ‘Not Even Happiness’"

J A M E S C A N H A M

BIG THIEF
U.F.O.F.

"As close to a perfect album since they released ‘Capacity’.
Like their previous albums, I found it took a few listens to get into, then it was near impossible to take off my turntable"

Aldous Harding
DESIGNER

"this and Big Thief have made most other music pale in comparison this year. Like ‘Capacity’, it feels to me a defining album of the last few years, whatever that means in the boundless world of music in 2019"

lower slaughter
Some Things Take Work

"this isn’t my sphere so I can’t tell you what bands this 4 piece sound like - I’m told Big Business & Shellac - but there’s something about their ferocious energy & direct political edge over this and their previous record I’ve not connected with other bands in their same world. Plus they’re great live"

FONTAINES D.C.
Dogrel

"I spent the first half of this year reading Sally Rooney books and listening to Fontaines paint two very different perspectives of Dublin through eyes of people in their early 20s. A really great, really vivid and poetic “punk” record that I still love despite them stealing all our silver sharpies when they came in to sign records earlier this year"

N A T A S H A

W. H. Lung
Incidental Music

"Euphoric dance grooves, downtempo melodies & infectious motoriks - not since LCD Soundsystem or Hookworms have a band done things this wild to my brain!"

Little Simz
Grey Area

"3 albums in & she's nailed it. A banging set of fresh, funky & filthy beats with piercing lyrics & slick MC skills. she deftly moves between energetic beats & a languid, retro flow"

BLACK MIDI
Schlagenheim

"Hype can make me dismissive, resistant & defiant. Sometimes however, resistance is simply depriving oneself of the finer things in life. it's like The genius sonic clatter of Kiran Leonard crashing into girl Band's dark dynamics.
Just go with it."

cosey fanni tutti
Tutti

"I keep coming back to this one. It's the imaginary soundtrack to the slow deterioration of my brain throughout the day. I absolutely love the glithces, beats, crackles & warped sonics that ripple through this album - her 1st solo output since 1983"

J A M E S C O O P E R

FACS
Lifelike

"i don't know what words to use to describe it - it's just really good epic-industrial-postpunk"

lower slaughter
Some Things Take Work

"They've taken the raw energy of the first record and expanded it into a multi-layered stoner-punk riff assault"

Gum Takes Tooth
Arrow

"It just ticks all the right boxes for me. Big bass + heavy drums + mind melting effects = YES!"

PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
SINCERELY, THE P

"P.U.T.S. sign off in style. Mellow beats & flows, perfect for long summer nights"
S E B

Little Simz
Grey Area

"Smart lyrics + great beats = top class album.
Little simz has truly ****ed with my heart"

Sharon Van Etten
Remind Me Tomorrow

"After every listen I’m finding something else to love about this album.
Just stunning!!"

The National
I AM EASY TO FIND

"Eight albums in and these guys are still making great albums. Matt Berninger's vocals sound incredible next to all the amazing female talent on this album. I cannot wait to hear these tracks live"

Better Oblivion Community Center (Conor Oberst & Phoebe Bridgers)
Better Oblivion Community Center

"Two great singer songwriters working together, what could go wrong? Well luckily nothing this is just a cracking gem of an album and one I can not stop listening to"

F E R G U S

human leather
succulent / getting to spend time in the canoe

"A giant adrenaline shot to the chest, made out of bone crunching basslines & lightning drums; no record has excited me more, this year"

PRIESTS
The Seduction Of Kansas

"A satisfying blend of sinewy post-punk & sugary pop hooks that's showing no sign of leaving my subconscious playlist any time soon"

JAKE XERXES FUSSELL
Out Of Sight

"Having had jackson c frank & townes van zandt on hard rotation recently, i fancied something similar but uplifting: Easygoing, unfussy & rife with sumptuous melodies, Fussell's bucolic americana the ultimate spirit-lifter"

Madonnatron
Musica Alla Puttanesca

"They've let their musical play time take them where it may &, as a result, the album is a kaleidoscope of genres & packed with some absolute bangers"
M A R K

Brutus
Nest

"Powerful from the first note, huge otherworldly like choruses. The whole thing skirts between emotional soundtrack-esque beauty & 'ripping at your chest' blast beats, probably the best album i've heard for the past ten years"

The National
I AM EASY TO FIND

"Masters of softcore quickly follow up their 2017 effort with an album & accompanying film that deals with feeling alone in a busy, always connected world"

AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS

"Come for the riffs, stay for the hooks. Amyl & Co bringing venom fuelled punk rock hits. And all done in under 30 minutes - how records should be"

bad breeding
Exiled

"One Little Indian have done right giving this lot a voice. 12 tracks of compassion fueled fury & anger taking a stab at the deliberate construction of suffering. An absolute power fury of anarcho-crust punk not seen since the golden days of Crass Records"

J U L I E T

billie eilish
WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

"I didn’t really get Billie Eilish until someone said she was like Avril Lavigne for people born after 2000 and I’m into it"

Sigrid
sucker punch

"Same Christine and the Queens big dick energy"

Carly Rae Jepsen
Dedicated

"Julien is just Juliet with an American accent so this is just on repeat so I can get serenaded by CRJ all day every day mmmmhmm"

Joep Beving
Henosis

"Makes me feel a kind of way"
B A R N E Y

TEETH OF THE SEA
Wraith

"A unique & mesmerising blend of dystopian, industrial acid-rock & euphoric, cinematic electro bliss! Nothing has come close for me since…"

Jayda G
Significant Changes

"An absolutely infectious blend of old skool disco & Chicago house, with a modern slant – wouldn’t sound out of place on a New York-disco-era Arthur Russell retrospective!"

BLU & OH NO
A LONG RED HOT LOS ANGELES SUMMER NIGHT

"An instant hip-hop gem, that’s as classic sounding as it is experimental & forward-thinking. With shades of J Dilla & The Roots, this a deep musical snapshot of the City Of Angels"

COCAINE PISS
PASSIONATE AND TRAGIC

"Imagine a cross between Pissed Jeans & Bikini Kill, & crank it up to 11! Total bad-ass, fun & exciting noise-rock from Belgium that’s both confrontational & tongue-in-cheek, in equal measure!"
D A N

Joep Beving
Henosis

"A truly beautiful album, that had me hooked from my first listen. Neo classical, minimalist magic, of the highest order. If you haven't listened to it yet, then what are you waiting for?"

Beth Gibbons & The Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
Henryk Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs)

"A stunning album that sends shivers down my spine. Beth has such a beautiful voice, and this album shows it off perfectly"

Vanishing Twin
The Age of Immunology

"I've been a fan of these guys since their stunning debut album, and their new album is a modern psychedelic classic. Catch them live if you can, in case they disappear!"

slowthai
NOTHING GREAT ABOUT BRITAIN

"Slowthai's instore was one of my highlights of the year so far. He blew the roof off Resident and raised hell. Epic. If you don't agree, then GTFOMF!"
J O N

sunn 0)))
life metal

"Thee lords of doom stepped out into the light for this one.
It's uplifting and verging on euphoric. Utterly exceeded all expectations"

Silk Road Assassins
State Of Ruin

"Soaring grime instrumentals that deftly flash from futuristic electronics to the type of melancholic beats that Holy Other was dropping a while back"

NIVHEK (liz harris)
AFTER ITS OWN DEATH / WALKING IN A SPIRAL TOWARDS THE HOUSE

"Grouper’s Liz Harris delved into a thick haze for this project.
Choral arrangements drift along in wonderful serenity before flooring it with hench drones. Top stuff"

My Disco
Environment

"Ghastly noise construction from confrontational Aussie types.
This one throbs and crashes around like the dismantling of a squat. Big Raime vibes"
J A M I E

The Cinematic Orchestra
To Believe

"By album, 6, you can forgive a favourite band for treading the same steps, but 'To Believe' delivers fresh terrain while walking you down a familiar path to greatness. Root's Manuva's ode to meditation is a must listen"

Bibio
Ribbons

"This is your new favourite cosy, woven jumper of modern folk seamlessly knitted with retro soul, funk and electronic strands on the timeless Warp label. A winter warmer to slide you into summer"

Jamila Woods
LEGACY! LEGACY!

"With each track name a nod to past masters, Woods has curated a vault of treasures which celebrate black culture cemented on neck snapping and rootsy production. The UK Garage inspired closer to the album is an essential!"

Alfa Mist
STRUCTURALISM

"As the UK Jazz scene matures at a rate of a child prodigy, Ldn beat maker and pianist Alfa takes the gritty heart of the city and transforms it into a beautiful, introverted landscape of instrumentation. One for the rad dads and hood rats alike"
I A N

lorelle meets the obsolete
De Facto

"Lush Mexican shoegaze released very early in January and still my favourite of the year so far"

earth
Full Upon Her Burning Lips

"Didn't think they could get any more minimal in their approach to slow-motion desert blues, it happened, and i like it"

lower slaughter
Some Things Take Work

"Gig of the year so far and this one is even better than 'What Big Eyes' - it's a wee beastie"

AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS

"The perfect livener after you've been listening to Earth all day"
K E V I N

The Cinematic Orchestra
To Believe

"Occasionally an album comes along which you know you will still be listening to for many years to come. This is one of them"

Mercury Rev
Bobbie Gentry’s The Delta Sweete Revisited

"Let's re-work a fairly obscure Bobbie Gentry album and have a different guest singer on each track - whose crazy idea was that? But boy does it work! Great arrangements and a fabulous selection of female vocalists"

KEVIN MORBY
Oh My God

"It's hard to put into words what I find so great about this record. Thought provoking, moving, musically brilliant doesn't really do it justice. A slow burner that now has me firmly within it's grip"

Josefin ohrn + the Liberation
Sacred Dreams

"A heady mix of fuzzy psychedelia, driving electro- beats and woozy, dreamy vocals. The perfect soundtrack for a hot summers day and it will cheer up a rainy cold one too - a record for all seasons. I love it!"
S A M

We Never Learned To Live
The Sleepwalk Transmissions

"My favourite Brighton band. Their second full length takes their melodic-post hardcore to experimental new levels"

Health
VOL. 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR

"Harsh & jarring industrial noise-pop with that perfect balance of sweet & sour moments"

pup
Morbid Stuff

"Equal parts ridiculously fun & emotionally crushing. </3. I feel like this is exactly what the band have always been trying to & this time the nailed it!"

USA Nails
life cinema

"Another slab of noise-punk excellence filled with on-the-nose sarcastic life observations"
K U R T I S

Aldous Harding
DESIGNER

“Spooky and magical. Harding’s 3rd is a real thing of beauty”

Little Simz
Grey Area

“A real coming of age album, intense and inventive"

Nilufer Yanya
Miss Universe

"somewhere between 90s PJ Harvey and king Krule. Incredibly hard to pin down”

Stella Donnelly
Beware of the Dogs

"A cracking story teller both brimming with anger and humour in equal measure”

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Fyi for anyone interested, my First World War concept EP (ooh, get me!) 'The Yeoman's Tears' is now available on Bandcamp as a 'name your price' download.

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/the-yeomans-tears

Here's watch Richard Foster had to say about it

"Another release from the mysterious Damselfly, still writing sonic incantations for the dead of the Great War, adding another small paragraph in the logbook of British remembrance culture. The sounds on this EP - as with his most recent releases - float inexorably towards a form of Gothicke library music, the lost Studio G soundtrack to The Signalman, maybe. A form of electronic hauntology. Those who need words to guide can take the following on board. We have the fog-bound plod of the title track. And the claustrophobic rasps and bumps found on ‘Chimes for Constance’ that contrasts sharply with the Rodelius-like minimalism of follow-up track Blue Mourning Suit and its uplifting reprieve, ‘He Still Speaks To Her’. Four tracks of hard tack, but he packs it all in."

Richard James Foster (Louder than War)

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-47/

Track list
1. Pinch Points - Spelt Out
2. Amyl & the Sniffers - Some Mutts (Can't Be Muzzled)
3. Hearts & Rockets - Feelings
4. The Exbats - Kill Yr Boyfriend
5. Soleima - STFU
6. Aisha Devi - Uupar-Theory
7. Yikii - Guillotine Lament
8. Glaring - Bury Me
9. Marissa Nadler & Stephen Brodsky - For The Sun
10. Wooden Whales - Nedovolynia Kis
11. YACHT - (Downtown) Dancing
12. Tree House - Head Up High
13. Perel - Karlsson
14. Miss Red - Shut In Your Head
15. Judith Juillerat - Between You, Me And The Gatepost

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A fantastic Dub remix of my favourite album from last year is out.

Great listening, turn the bass up and open your windows.

04196411-559A-4097-8221-BBD83BA29665.jpg

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If you like fairly noisy post-prog-shoegaze-metal (?) feel free to check out my new band thing's four track EP 'Fin' out for preorder today (physical release 26th July). It's released via the TQN-aut label on Bandcamp at £0.50 (or more if you're feeling generous) download and £4 for the CD. The CD's are a very limited edition and selling well already, so possibly a case of snooze and you lose in this regard (depending on what you consider as 'loss' that is of course).

https://tqzine.bandcamp.com/album/fin

Cheers,

Darren

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=19321" target="_blank">Pogue Mahone</a></u>

I know you’re a fan of a certain type of British rap so here’s one for your diary.

Kano - Hoodies All Summer. August 30th.

He’s released two singles off it combined together in a short film. The two tracks are called trouble & class of deja if you want to find them individually.

You could make a very strong case for him being the best rapper this country has produced. He’s already got 3 classic albums under his belt if you want a back catalogue too (Made In The Manor, London Town, Home Sweet Home).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=19321" target="_blank">Pogue Mahone</a></u>

I know you’re a fan of a certain type of British rap so here’s one for your diary.

He’s released two singles off it combined together in a short film. The two tracks are called trouble & class of deja if you want to find them individually.

You could make a very strong case for him being the best rapper this country has produced. He’s already got 3 classic albums under his belt if you want a back catalogue too (Made In The Manor, London Town, Home Sweet Home).

Wow, that was something.

Powerful, poignant and positive.

Thanks. I will be spending some time catching up with his back catalogue.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I see he is playing at The Dome in October - may get a ticket for this, too.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This is out now and the limited edition CDs have nearly sold out, just in case any of you NSCers fancied bagging one but were hanging back (yeah, right). I'm really proud of it and hope if any of you do listen to it that you enjoy the experience. Cheers.

If you like fairly noisy post-prog-shoegaze-metal (?) feel free to check out my new band thing's four track EP 'Fin' out for preorder today (physical release 26th July). It's released via the TQN-aut label on Bandcamp at £0.50 (or more if you're feeling generous) download and £4 for the CD. The CD's are a very limited edition and selling well already, so possibly a case of snooze and you lose in this regard (depending on what you consider as 'loss' that is of course).

https://tqzine.bandcamp.com/album/fin

Cheers,

Darren

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A few months old, but this is summery beauty.

Shana Cleveland from La Luz...a miniature masterpiece of an album.

download.jpg

See her at The Latest Music Bar, Brighton in October.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-48/

Tracklist
1. Pharmakon - Self-Regulating System
2. Qualiatik - Discarnate II
3. Sadaf - Guttermoon
4. Good F**k - What Day Is It?
5. Carla Dal Forno - Took A Long Time
6. Omen - Mr. Freedom
7. Tomorrow Syndicate - Captain, I Am Fading
8. Aldo - Trembling Eyelids
9. Black Marble - One Eye Open
10. Magdalena Bay - Turning Off The Rain
11. House of Suns - Wane
12. Yikii & Daschyra - Faerie Circus Waltz
13. Gafacci ft. Amaarae - Like Water
14. Cocaine Piss - Body Euphoria
15. Drinking Boys and Girls Choir - She's Sitting In The Blue Chair
16. Knife Wife - The Dentist
17. Parsnip - Lift Off

Streetlight

May 16, 2016
New Marika Hackman album dropped over the weekend. 'Any Human Friend 'is pretty decent but doesn't match the heights of 'I'm Not Your Man' for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here