Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That is a HUGE insult from The corrupt EU,Gibraltar is NOT a colony it is British, goes to show the outright contempt with which the EU hold us.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ignorant EU dummies.Part of Great Britain just as much as Ceuta and Mellila are of Spain.And by right of treaty,not of conquest.Hypocrites all!

It's a British Overseas Territory though and not part of Great Britain.

As per Gibraltar, Menorca was also given to us by right of the Treaty of Utrecht by we subsequently lost it back to Spain after the American War of Independence. Perhaps when Jacob Rees-Mogg is PM he'll see this injustice righted and reclaim it and also take back Calais from the French too to alleviate customs checks in Kent?

For what it's worth and despite their administrative status, Spain, Morocco and everyone in Africa refers to Ceuta and Melilla as 'colonies' too, so this turn of phrase has merely been lost in translation. Don't take offence or have nightmares.

On our way.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It's a British Overseas Territory though and not part of Great Britain.

As per Gibraltar, Menorca was also given to us by right of the Treaty of Utrecht by we subsequently lost it back to Spain after the American War of Independence. Perhaps when Jacob Rees-Mogg is PM he'll see this injustice righted and reclaim it and also take back Calais from the French too to alleviate customs checks in Kent?

For what it's worth and despite their administrative status, Spain, Morocco and everyone in Africa refers to Ceuta and Melilla as 'colonies' too, so this turn of phrase has merely been lost in translation. Don't take offence or have nightmares.

On our way.

We are indeed....

On our way.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We are indeed....

On our way.

You seem like a very well informed leave voter, so just out of interest, when the economic damage of Brexit takes hold in Ireland and a whole generation of young, working class Irish, some of whom will be well into their 20s that can't remember, let alone have any concept of, the Troubles back in the 70's and 80's start to feel the ill effects and subsequently and rightly blame the British, how do you feel this resentment and ill feeling may manifest and present itself?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You seem like a very well informed leave voter, so just out of interest, when the economic damage of Brexit takes hold in Ireland and a whole generation of young, working class Irish, some of whom will be well into their 20s that can't remember, let alone have any concept of, the Troubles back in the 70's and 80's start to feel the ill effects and subsequently and rightly blame the British, how do you feel this resentment and ill feeling may manifest and present itself?

Not sure the troubles have ever really gone away. It's always simmering under the surface not helped by either side. These issues have been around for 100s of years because of different religious beliefs. Both sides have arms caches stashed away

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1091018568899223552[/TWEET]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not just them. This is only going to fuel the anger of the younger generations against the mkre wealthy older ones. They have, yet again, looked after themselves and screwed us over!

More old person hatred from you then Plooks ! Blaming your own failings on previous generations.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/01/theresa-may-redcar-austerity-brexit

For nearly a decade my constituents have been told to put up with austerity in the name of the national interest. We were told the nation was broke, so grandmothers had to be forced out of their family homes by the bedroom tax, council workers had to lose their jobs, crimes had to go unsolved, disabled people had to lose financial support, NHS walk-in centres had to close, wages had to flatline with workers reliant on Redcar’s new food banks, and our steelworks had to close with no government bailout. These measures alone are enough to make us angry and resentful, particularly while other areas seemed to prosper and government investment continued to flow elsewhere.

Yet we learned yesterday that there is, after all, money magically available for a “programme of national renewal” for areas like mine – on the condition I vote for Theresa May’s Brexit deal. It’s amazing how much money, which should have been distributed on the basis of need and fairness, can suddenly be found to bribe MPs to vote for a deal that was dismissed by the largest parliamentary margin in history.

Considering the oft-levelled Tory charge that Labour likes to “throw money at a problem”, the prime minister seems to have become reliant on using bungs to get herself out of a fix. First the £1bn to the DUP to buy their support after an unnecessary election. Then billions of pounds thrown at preparing for a “no-deal” scenario. Now she has found money to bribe areas like mine, too. This government is not just lost and in a mess over Brexit; it is totally bereft of a moral compass.

It also confirms what many of us knew all along. That austerity was not an economic necessity but a political choice, and that those areas and communities that suffered the most were the ones that were the lowest priority for this Tory government. Offering MPs a few baubles for future election leaflets after a decade which saw £6bn taken from public spending in the north is grotesque, and no self-respecting MP with any integrity should allow this offer to influence their vote.

It’s quite common in countries such as the US for “pork-barrel” politics like this to have a role – but we don’t do that sort of thing here. If Brexit is about Britain taking back control and a return of our great democracy and sovereignty, then I’m afraid this is not what British democracy should look like. It’s squalid and grubby and demeans our politics. For the prime minister to have the audacity to say another referendum – a means by which to check whether the public really want to go through with the greatest economic and constitutional change this country has faced since the war – would undermine democracy is especially laughable when she treats our democracy as something that can be bought and sold.

The critical argument against accepting her bribe is that a short-term bung will not fix the structural and economic problems in areas like mine. The solutions require long-term investment in economic development, skills, industry and manufacturing. Yet the government’s own impact assessment showed that it was areas like mine, and the north-east region in general, which would be the hardest hit by Brexit. Accepting Theresa May’s deal will actually mean selling out the areas that we represent as well as the wider national interest. No one should do that for the vague promise of a short-term fix.

It is clear that austerity was not a necessity but a political choice. MPs now have to decide whether to make it worse with a Tory Brexit or go back to the people and ask them to put an end to this madness.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How is it my failing that we are trying to leave the eu? How is it my failing that humans have destroyed the environment for decades!? How exactly?

Hate to point it out to you but one of the reasons leave won was because your generation were too lazy to get off their backsides and vote .... and then whined like pathetic whimps that the result wasn't fair.

As for the environment, well your generation have done more damage than the previous generations - what with the expectations.of owning a car at 17 and demanding better and better tech.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Good idea, stick with arguments you think you have a chance of winning and stay well away from Brexit :thumbsup:

Or 'no deal'

Or Ireland

Etc, etc

You know he's blaming people like you for his situation yes ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You know he's blaming people like you for his situation yes ?

It's got f*** all to do with the complete lunacy of Brexit :shrug:

And you've picked the wrong person. I'm a great believer in the radicalism of youth. It's how we move forward as a society.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Are we talking about the Republic or Northern Ireland here?
I firmly believe The United Kingdom will flourish and prosper after we have left the EU, The EU is knackered, it is in real trouble, the economy in the EU is about to pancake and to make matters worse for them the second largest net contributor is about to cancel it’s direct debit payment.
As a common market with the initial seven or eight nations it was a very good idea, over the years it has become an all consuming, German/Franco 4th Reich,look at the Gilet jaune movement in France, generally not being reported on in the main stream media, France is almost on its knees, there will be a Frexit within the next few years,
People all over The EU zone are waking up to the corruption within it.
I don’t dislike Europe, I have lived and worked in Europe, Europe is fifty nations, the EU is twenty six sub servant nations coming to heel at the behest of Germany, I’m just glad we’re off out of it.
As I stated earlier the United Kingdom will flourish, it will be a rocky road for a year or so maybe. It we will be good.

On our way

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not sure the troubles have ever really gone away. It's always simmering under the surface not helped by either side. These issues have been around for 100s of years because of different religious beliefs. Both sides have arms caches stashed away

and that is entirely fair enough portslade. I agree with you. It's just the rest, you've helped to make happen. As as May.

This was never mentioned in 2016, but perhaps 'Lets **** over the Irish instead!' should have been put on the side of a bus.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Are we talking about the Republic or Northern Ireland here?
I firmly believe The United Kingdom will flourish and prosper after we have left the EU, The EU is knackered, it is in real trouble, the economy in the EU is about to pancake and to make matters worse for them the second largest net contributor is about to cancel it’s direct debit payment.
As a common market with the initial seven or eight nations it was a very good idea, over the years it has become an all consuming, German/Franco 4th Reich,look at the Gilet jaune movement in France, generally not being reported on in the main stream media, France is almost on its knees, there will be a Frexit within the next few years,
People all over The EU zone are waking up to the corruption within it.
I don’t dislike Europe, I have lived and worked in Europe, Europe is fifty nations, the EU is twenty six sub servant nations coming to heel at the behest of Germany, I’m just glad we’re off out of it.
As I stated earlier the United Kingdom will flourish, it will be a rocky road for a year or so maybe. It we will be good.

On our way

Thanks. Good effort, but world war 2 references, supremacy of Germany...................you're a a **** as I suspected.

On our way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here