Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'll hear no more talk about this Brexit malarkey not being worth it ....

Screenshot-2019-08-19-at-13.16.39.jpeg

... shame about the colour though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
parliament didnt pass it because enough people fell into "isnt leave enough" and "if we vote against we can remain" camps. i'm wondering if the current bravado from Johnson isnt so much to get changes from EU, but to move the second camp to vote for the WA, as they would prefer that to hard exit.

Not beyond the realms of possibility as it stands at the moment, doubt anyone can predict what is coming next in Parliament though.
It is indeed entirely possible to put the WA up for a parliamentary vote again and give those MPs who are opposed to leaving on no deal one last chance to stop leaving with no deal from happening and vote for leaving with the deal on the table instead.

Every poll, bar one has the Tories ahead since Boris became PM, some giving them a double-digit lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Interesting set of stats and good each one has a clickable link to the original polling statistics,(couple of broken links though) stops silly people implying its edited for bias.

Considering the big spend advantage, the government machine, UK, European, global political establishment, the vast majority of big business all backing remain it's quite frankly pathetic to whine on about how unfair the referendum was.

PA.jpg

Also a bit rich for someone who parroted the taxpayer-funded bullsh*t by HM treasury about an imminent Brexit recession immediately after the vote, to complain about misleading people.

Those figures from the electoral commission don’t even include the £9 million spent by the gov on their pro- remain household leaflet.
The Electoral Commission has a breakdown of the updated and revised totals £32,642,158 (Remain: £19,309,588 +Leave: £13,332,569) here

https://www.electoralcommission.org...eu-referendum/campaign-spending-eu-referendum

That's 11%to many , roll on 31st October
regards
DR

UK law: What proportion is influenced by the EU?

“An estimated 13% of Acts and Statutory Instruments have an EU influence, whereas that rises to 62% when EU regulations are included in addition to Acts and Statutory Instruments.”

“Estimates range from 13% to 65%, although all have problems”

“while leaving EU regulations out of the count of ‘UK laws’ is likely to underestimate EU influence, including them is likely to overestimate it.”

“Counting them all would give you a figure of around 62% over the past 20 years. Business for Britain says this figure is 65%, but that analysis includes corrections to laws.”

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-law-what-proportion-influenced-eu/

Indeed…..quite a significant influence on UK law.

that would work better if we stay in the EU. the timetable is set by article 50, the timing of the event set by politicans who expected to win. its seems a contrived idea, borderline conspiracy, that the motivation to leave is new tax laws targeting internal market avoidance.

It really is bordering on conspiracy nonsense, usually from the uninformed who frequent twotter.
Most of the measures contained in The EU Anti-Tax Avoidance Directive targeting internal market avoidance or as the legislation refers 'Hybrid mismatch arrangements' are already covered by existing UK law and those existing UK laws already “meet or exceed the minimum standards of the directive”.
Two changes are needed to UK law, these are not even required to be completed by 2020 as the conspiracy nuts claim, they have a separate clause in the directive which is implementation in 2022.
It is one of the more bonkers theories out there that the motivation to Leave is a Tory rush to escape impending new tax avoidance laws from the EU when most of the measures are in existence in UK law already.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...other-mismatches-anti-tax-avoidance-directive

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Somebody remind me what those elections for which we took part in May were?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

good question because a lot of people did not understand what the elections were for and voted for brexit party rather than people who might improve the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am not trying to get a justification of why you voted, it was a free vote and people made their decisions. What I would like from you or any leavers is some thoughts on what you perceive as benefits. I am worried about the future as I can't see them if they are there then it should be easy to state a few.

But you wanting leavers to state to you now, 3 years after the vote why they had a preference for deciding to vote being out of the EU doesn’t do or change anything.
You knowing why Leavers believe its better to be out of the EU doesn’t change the decision given by the vote, it doesn’t change where we are now on deciding how to Leave whether with or without a deal.
If you are simply curious, you could look up various threads yourself on NSC, to find leavers opinions as to why they believe its better to be out of the EU,
You could start with this one
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-The-Brexit-Thread

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But you wanting leavers to state to you now, 3 years after the vote why they had a preference for deciding to vote being out of the EU doesn’t do or change anything.
You knowing why Leavers believe its better to be out of the EU doesn’t change the decision given by the vote, it doesn’t change where we are now on deciding how to Leave whether with or without a deal.
If you are simply curious, you could look up various threads yourself on NSC, to find leavers opinions as to why they believe its better to be out of the EU,

As a public school saddo who's never had a girlfriend, how does no deal play out in your view?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1163496735341256707[/TWEET]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Pathetic! I don't 'seem' to be saying the leave campaign was a waste of money (though undoubtedly large sums of money were wasted by both sides) because I didn't. I stated the simple fact (unfathomable to remainers) that 17 million people didn't suddenly vote leave because of the leave campaign. Many were always going to vote leave anyway (as were many with blind faith in the EU who were always going to vote remain, regardless of how arrogantly over-confident the remain campaign was).

Here, have one of these:
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/fiesta-gr..._63901012986_321523756681_pla-603336430732_c_

:)

By using the figure of 17 million, when describing people that didn't suddenly vote leave, just because of the campaign, you are making it seem to me that you think very few if any were persuaded by the campaign, as 17 million is pretty close to the total that voted leave.
From memory I think the polls were holding steady in favour of remain early in the campaign at about 65%, then leave decided to open up on immigration, and starting gaining ground.
I perfectly understand there were a lot of people that were likely to vote leave, whatever was said in the campaign, I had heard of UKIP. I knew that they had pulled 5 Million votes across the UK at the previous General Election, there would have been no need for a referendum if there was not a considerable number of people voting for an Anti EU party. But you must understand that the campaigning during the referendum gained the votes of more of those who approached the decision with a more open mind.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
By the way I have already suffered, when my wife got made redundant 2-3 years ago. We where a month away from not being able to pay our mortgage. We are OK now, and we will be OK after Brexit, because at the end of the day nobody will stop us going out to work and earning money, that's the key. I would even go out toilet cleaning, if it meant bringing in a few extra pounds.

Sorry, are you saying Brexit cost your wife her job?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

You would make a great (Tory) MP you keep avoiding questions that require simple answers.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The public, in the majority, are not thick. The vote should be respected.

But leaving with no deal is a bit dumb. This country needs to think about its future and not the agenda of a few frothy mouthed PPF xenophobes.

There is no hurry.

As a majority in some polls say they want no deal, we may have to face the fact that the majority of the public are thick, or at least not using their heads.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The blind panic out there from the likes of Lord Adonis and co is unreal using things like self-harming and cliff edge, guys like him are doing far more harm for this country.
The problem is the all the doom monger sheep believe all these t+ats.

He is creating divide and hate and spreading it like a disease and the other remoaners are just visionless to believe it all.
He should be stripped of his title and castrated, that's if he has any balls at all.

I will not waste my energy any more on the remoaners, but if it comes down to us not leaving the EU on October 31st the remoaners will have caused an issue which will not subside for decades to come.

Can they not see the damage that they are doing by trying to reverse a major decision, kids will think they can demonstrate at everything they don't deem as fair.

The long term situation is frightening, their kids and grandkids look up to them for guidance and they are acting like teenagers. :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

They are ripping the country apart, the decision was made by the PUBLIC and it MUST be delivered on October 31st.

LEAVE means LEAVE.

It's true I lack the vision to see how this pans out well for the UK, maybe you could describe it to me?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Those figures from the electoral commission don’t even include the £9 million spent by the gov on their pro- remain household leaflet.
The Electoral Commission has a breakdown of the updated and revised totals £32,642,158 (Remain: £19,309,588 +Leave: £13,332,569) here

https://www.electoralcommission.org...eu-referendum/campaign-spending-eu-referendum

JCFG's figures did include the £9 million spent on the leaflet, your figures and his are less than 300,000 apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here