Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So are we going to make another first team signing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's not the manager I thought if he's thinking of dropping one of the biggest clubhouse leaders as soon as he arrives at a new club.... would be positively suicidal.....but he won't....

That's an odd take on it.

That would be the first player I would drop if I were creating MY team, esp as you've not made any reference to on the pitch ability.

For the record I'd keep them both as starters.
I'm not convinced by Kayal, in principle, then he plays and I realise I'm being a ninny.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That's an odd take on it.

That would be the first player I would drop if I were creating MY team, esp as you've not made any reference to on the pitch ability..

You'd lose the dressing room instantly if you dropped him. Not a good start to your managerial career

Remember all the players praising him to the nines a season ago when he was up for player's player of the season, as the guy who does all the hard work for everyone else. He's Charlie Oatway reincarnated as a premier league player.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
What strengths? I thought he was useless and a libility in the Championship. Transfermarket (yes I know) value him at £2.7m. Montoya is £7.2m.

As GP wouldn't have seen him train yet, I seriously hope he is not plan B.

His energy, his willingness to go forwards are all perfectly suited to wingback play and, with three at the back, his defensive frailties won’t be as exposed. He hardly got a run under Hughton and wasn’t being played to his strengths as a wingback, a position he played at his previous club, so it's hardly surprising we haven’t seen the best of him yet.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Amuses me that people think a new CM would oust Stephens from the team when its far more likely to be Propper

Yep, it's going to be enjoyable listening to the thickos losing their shit about Stephens remaining in the starting lineup for the majority of our games.

They won't be able to quite get their head around the fact that yet another manager seems to rate him as a quality PL midfielder.

The narrative will be "We just need Bissouma back to replace sideways Stephens!!11", only to find that Bissouma replaces someone else and Stephens keeps his place.:lolol:

Having said that, I do think we need genuine competition for DM.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I do wonder if all the talk of a new CM is to replace Pröpper if he goes to Ajax.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Neither Alzate or Baluta have gone on loan yet which might suggest we are going to rely on them for Midfield cover. We have Bernardo, Bong and now march as RWB/RB but only Schellotto as cover for Montoya so seems to me that position is the most urgent.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A good quality (premier league experience) central midfielder would transport us from being likely bottom six to mid table in my view. If we get that I would be very happy, but I'm not expecting it to happen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Neither Alzate or Baluta have gone on loan yet which might suggest we are going to rely on them for Midfield cover. We have Bernardo, Bong and now march as RWB/RB but only Schellotto as cover for Montoya so seems to me that position is the most urgent.

100% this. With bells on. And a mixed-metaphor cherry on top! ;-)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No need for a like for like replacement as we no longer require a striker to play on his own without a team-mate within 40 yards. So, we probably won't be getting one.

Agreed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tough crowd! New to the country, first appearance in the PL, played out of position and a team performance that stank and yet he gets singled out :smile:

Yes but when it’s a new signing, naturally you are expecting more, apparently the manager agreed as he didn’t make another PL appearance for some time.

He was a 3 amongst a lot of 4/10’s, IMO....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Much like Scheloto at Palace and Locadia at Huddersfield :lolol:

(Or was it the other way round?)

The difference being Bernardo learnt and recovered, whereas to date for the others in the main it has been the norm.

Locadia I’m more hopeful post pre-season, and even have him in my Fantasy team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here