[Albion] Potter's presence influential in latest signings

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
giphy.gif

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Two Championship players, a League 1 player and a bloke from Genk?
Gosh. Yes. We've reached for the stars.

Are you a bit simple?

Why would we buy Championship players? or League 1 players? We are in the Premier League. We need and have bought Premier League players, and we've bought them from the Championship and League 1.

Also I don't really see why you would refer to Trossard as "a bloke from Genk". It's like you want to make him sound like something other than a technically gifted footballer?

Looking at your sig and avatar etc, you are clearly bitter and upset about recent changes at the club, but I think talking down our new signings, almost seemingly with the hope that they will fail in order to vindicate your unhappiness, is a little childish IMO.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Two Championship players, a League 1 player and a bloke from Genk?
Gosh. Yes. We've reached for the stars.

Are you a bit simple?

I was surprised to see posters projecting an anti-CH slant on this thread, certainly some divisive views which is what a good discussion relies on.

Clearly we won't know how this window would have developed with CH. We also know Dan Ashworth's influence is also significant but what we also know now is that it must be reassuring from the club's point of view that the new signings are willing to vindicate the boards decision for change.

Makes a good press release anyway..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was surprised to see posters projecting an anti-CH slant on this thread, certainly some divisive views which is what a good discussion relies on.

Clearly we won't know how this window would have developed with CH. We also know Dan Ashworth's influence is also significant but what we also know now is that it must be reassuring from the club's point of view that the new signings are willing to vindicate the boards decision for change.

Makes a good press release anyway..

The only real test is May next year. Potter probably hasn't got any further signings than Hughton would have got, and the core group is the same. We can probably make a like for like comparison with the previous 2 seasons.

If we finish on 41+ points, score 36+ goals, finish 15th or above, we know Potter has made a difference and the team has kicked on.

If we don't, we know it was less about the managers and more about the squad.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Do the contingent still lamenting CH's departure honestly think we would have been able to bring the same players in had he stayed?

Webster referenced the new gaffer directly, Maupay hasn't in the initial interview but the clean slate and progressive ideals must have held weight for these players.

Ooo. Let’s slag off CH a bit more
Tw*t

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was one that was relieved that CH left, nothing against the man, but the team were desperate. That said, I doubt there would have been much difference with the recruitment programme whether or not he stayed. I would suspect the recruitment team have been tracking all the players long before any decision to sack CH was made by Bloom and that would imply that he was involved in the process. Potter no doubt had the final say on whether he wanted them once he was in post but Brighton don't seem to work on impulse when it comes to buying players.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I thought we had a huge recruitment team and scouting network now. I imagine it’s the same as it was with Chris;

Recruitment team: “GP we’ve identified these players who are available and we can convince to sign for us, which one(s) do you want?”

GP: “thanks for the selection, I’ll have that one”

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Ooo. Let’s slag off CH a bit more
Tw*t

Not at all, Chris was and still is a top manager in my opinion. You won't find any trace of me "slagging him off".

The new signings have all now publicly stated Potter was key in their decision to sign. A convenient PR line from the club or genuine weight in finalising these transfers?

Too many in this thread are predisposed to the defence of CH rather than looking forward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many would have signed for Roy up he road? :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think it’s interesting that we’ve gone with lower division players rather than moneyball signings from overseas. Is that GP’s influence?

I'll hazard a guess Trossard is the very definition of a 'Moneyball' signing.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If you are an attack-minded player looking to get plenty of chances for assists and / or goals, weighing up more than one club who've shown interest, then I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that GP's BHA may be a more attractive proposition than CH's. I don't think that is in any way being disrespectful to CH, it's just the way it is. Do people genuinely believe that players only look at the money on offer and not the style of football (which could make or break whether they get noticed enough to maybe get a move to a bigger club later on)? Footballers, like most people, still want some level of job satisfaction. Hell, even Murray has intimated he's looking forward to this season under the new philosophy, and a more respectful PL footballer you'd be hard to find.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I was one that was relieved that CH left, nothing against the man, but the team were desperate. That said, I doubt there would have been much difference with the recruitment programme whether or not he stayed. I would suspect the recruitment team have been tracking all the players long before any decision to sack CH was made by Bloom and that would imply that he was involved in the process. Potter no doubt had the final say on whether he wanted them once he was in post but Brighton don't seem to work on impulse when it comes to buying players.

You may be right but the signings seem to be I line with how GP wants to play as if CH had stayed I doubt we would be in the market for as many centre halves and the latest additions do seem to indicate we are supporting potters 3 at the back.

That’s what baffled me with some of the signing for CH as Locadia, Ali J and Andone looked far from players who would fit Hughtons system which was pretty much 1 back to goal striker up front every week.

I would hope we have learnt our lesson this summer and are more in tune with signing players for the managers preferred system which evidence to date suggests we are (albeit from a pool of pre scouted players)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Nobody is saying CH was a failure as far as I can tell.

But the reality is that when he left we weren't a club playing good football, we weren't a club looking good for next season, we weren't a club where the players (or the fans) seemed to be enjoying the football. This wasn't a particularly happy or confident camp, and that was coming across even to the casual observer.

CH was a success here, and we were a success under his charge for the most part. But our form, our morale and our reputation were all dropping like a stone, and this window was either going to come with the club in the midst of an unresolved descent, or it was going to come with the club at the beginning of a fresh start.

I think we could have seen a more difficult transfer window had it not been the latter.

There was a hint in something that Barber said in a live interview when answering a question about how Hughton was being supported and he said something like "he was always available for Hughton to call after games, but he never took him up on the opportunity". I think Hughton probably liked being trusted to get on with it but also never discussed games, his philosophy or did postmortems of games with anyone above.

Potter is a much better communicator so will naturally have more influence in signing players and can probably sell himself to targeted players better than Hughton too.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Not at all, Chris was and still is a top manager in my opinion. You won't find any trace of me "slagging him off".

The new signings have all now publicly stated Potter was key in their decision to sign. A convenient PR line from the club or genuine weight in finalising these transfers?

Too many in this thread are predisposed to the defence of CH rather than looking forward.

B*llocks

Your thread is all about CH not being able to attract the likes of player that CH had.

Utter tosh

Why can’t you leave Hughton alone

Tw*t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here