Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Is Australia a continent?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Certainly more reliable and authoritative than wiki! That will do for me. I am persuaded (having believed for decades that Australia was a country on the continent of Australasia)

Oceania it is.

National Geographic are bucking the old trends there then, because geologically Oceania is not a continent - it's a geographical region. The reality is that all of those thousands of little islands are not actually included in any continent. However, from a usage / political / human perspective, the term Oceania is probably the best one we have so that everyone gets included. And it's becoming much more widespread than any of the other terms, so I think it's probably right to back the favourite here.

Or I WOULD have if we hadn't earlier settled on the eighth continent of 'Leftovers'

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I was always taught there were five continents, as with the 5 Olympic rings, of America, Australasia, Asia, Africa and Europe when I was at school. Seems to have changed since, so they have split the American continent and added the two poles. What do I know?

Nothing changed, just the teaching. There are still various ways to cut 'what is a continent' - 4, 5, 6 or 7. Note that the arctic circle is not a continent - there is no landmass there, it's just frozen sea. The antarctic on the other hand is a proper old school continent. Definitely one of the seven you'd want on your side in the tunnel.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's moved to Europe, as it sees the enormous advantages of being able to join the European Union! :)

And before anybody complains that this should be on the BREXIT thread(s), it is intended as no more than a JOKE.

Maybe we could all vote for a leader to 'make (the) Continents great again' and bring them all back together as the super-continent Pangaea like in the good old days

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
2b038752312419c9d073e76b75320f40a0b777807a78271566819bfeacc26588.jpg

I was always taught there were five continents, as with the 5 Olympic rings, of America, Australasia, Asia, Africa and Europe when I was at school. Seems to have changed since, so they have split the American continent and added the two poles. What do I know?
They split it with the Panama Canal since you went to school. The Arctic isn't even land, let alone a continent!

Australia must be a fake continent. After all, according to some flat-earthers it doesn't even exist.
Do some Aussie flat-earthers believe that we don't exist?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Kangaroos don't hop. Even after a while on a cruise to Turkey.

They do when you are not looking

Australia must be a fake continent. After all, according to some flat-earthers it doesn't even exist.

Look at the picture of Earth….where is Australia clever clogs? Of course Australia is fake.

flat-earth-cover.jpg

Kangaroos don’t exist either…..apart from the hopping ones, which only exist when you are not looking.

The Arctic isn't even land, let alone a continent!

BBC just said wildfires are ravaging the Arctic because of climate change.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49125391
Bloody climate change fake news

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
They do when you are not looking

Look at the picture of Earth….where is Australia clever clogs? Of course Australia is fake.

View attachment 113458

Kangaroos don’t exist either…..apart from the hopping ones, which only exist when you are not looking.

BBC just said wildfires are ravaging the Artic because of climate change.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49125391
Bloody climate change fake news

Artic? Whatever happened to the good old reliable BBC?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
In fairness i am loosing track of my own argument in defence of a flat earth and hopping Kangaroos

It's also a little-known fact that kangaroos in other countries can climb trees, so not only are they not as uniquely Australian as the convicts like to claim, but they get cleverer the further away from Sydney they get.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's also a little-known fact that kangaroos in other countries can climb trees, so not only are they not as uniquely Australian as the convicts like to claim, but they get cleverer the further away from Sydney they get.

The bog standard Kangaroo is uniquely Australian though, even the hopping ones that only hop when you are not looking. Tree kangaroos in other countries are a sub species.
Everyone gets cleverer the further away you get from Sydney.......Darlinghurst Road being ground zero for standard stupidity and all that.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Ok on a similar note, where is the line drawn for north and south America?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Maybe we could all vote for a leader to 'make (the) Continents great again' and bring them all back together as the super-continent Pangaea like in the good old days

Jacob Rees-Mogg would probably appreciate that. The further back the better.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here