Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Johnson or Hunt?

Who would you vote for as next leader of the Tory party and Prime Minister?

• Boris Johnson

Votes: 86 41.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 123 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Democracy huh?

I think you need to look up the word in the dictionary. Democracy is about having a voice and a say. It’s not about getting behind someone because they “won.”

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
His a man of the peopel and his funny and uses long words so must be cleverer so his got my vote

Regards
DR

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I live in the North East - an area, generally speaking, where a lot of the population are at the polar opposite end of the scale to Boris is virtually every way it is possible to be. And yet, if you speak to a people around here, he commands more positive sentiment than Corbyn does. It's really quite odd.

People are always going to relate more to a ****ed up man no-one likes because of presumed PC reasons rather than one where you actually need to read up on the issues to take a stance. People are secretly sick and tired of moralist shit and will go for the buffalo whenever they can, as shown in multiple nations across the world, not least the US. Having the establishment against you because you are ugly/stupid/nonmoral just gives you plus points among people who feel like mistreated, boneless underdogs in their own society.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Ridiculous statement wasn't it ? ( and [MENTION=5238]Brian Fantana[/MENTION])

Only it's a cut and paste from 2007.

Using Boris Johnson's exact words and substituting the Labour references with Tory ones......

:ffsparr:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well he's played the long game well to get the job he wanted. Poked the right wasps nests to get the tiny majority needed which in turn got rid of the PM, hid away pulling the strings when the EU deals were failing and when the current incumbent had had enough jumped back out of hiding to beat a bunch of useless MP who were left to fight for leadership. He knew what he was doing 4 years ago when it was clear a referendum was coming.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He doesn't have a plan.
He doesn't have any values, policies or principals. Its all done on the hoof to suit the moment.
He'll blurt whatever comes into his head, regardless whether its (a) true of (b) completely contradictory to a previous statement.
He believes that being "blindly optimistic" and glossing over serious deficiencies with some affable posh bluster will win people over. Well, thats worked with 92,000 chinless wonders who have voted for him, but it patently will NOT work when he has to be in a room full of grown up politicians.

Worrying, depressing, embarrassing, all at the same time.

They voted for him because the alternative is Jeremy Hunt.
The Conservatives just about remained in power, because the alternative was to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.
Trump managed to get in because so much of America can't stand, and don't trust Hiliary Clinton.

Whenever you have a poor, weak, ineffective Government, part of the problem is going to be the state of Parliament as a whole, and who they were up against when people last voted.

I've never known anything quite like it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In a non footballing sense, bedwetters.

Calling shit things shit isn't bedwetting. Statements of fact aren't bedwetting.

If I say the sky is blue outside my window right now, that in your eyes makes me a bedwetter.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The only option I can see possibly working is Boris re-badging May's deal and fooling people into thinking it's a better deal.
..which is what he did with Ken Livingstone's bikes and the Olympics. Things he did himself (new Routemasters, teh Garden Bridge) were vanity projects and failures. God help us.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't see how he can operate. How many cabinets members are resigning in order to vote against him? 6? Bye bye majority.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No one has been asked to vote Tory (in a meaningful election) for a while, but every suggestion is they'd still beat the Corbyn shitshow.

Every suggestion except the actual polls, which say Labour would gain more votes than Conservatives. Let me guess, "fake news"?

Also, nice bit of whataboutism. I've said in this thread I won't be voting Labour next time I have the chance.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you need to look up the word in the dictionary. Democracy is about having a voice and a say. It’s not about getting behind someone because they “won.”

I don’t like Boris in anyway at all, and as you well know I am a firm remainer. But it seems the left, which I believe you are part of, are starting to think that democracy is not for them if it does not suit their agenda. Hence my ironic reference to your ‘whatever it takes’. Same kind of noises came out of Germany in the early 1930’s, extreme left can sometimes sound very much like so called extreme right.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
“I have never voted in my life... I have always known and understood that the idiots are in a majority so it's certain they will win.” - Celine

Is that one of her album tracks? I only know the one from 'Titanic'.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I don’t like Boris in anyway at all, and as you well know I am a firm remainer. But it seems the left, which I believe you are part of, are starting to think that democracy is not for them if it does not suit their agenda. Hence my ironic reference to your ‘whatever it takes’. Same kind of noises came out of Germany in the early 1930’s, extreme left can sometimes sound very much like so called extreme right.

This isn't democracy though is it?
First May, then this ****.
It's not democracy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Calling shit things shit isn't bedwetting. Statements of fact aren't bedwetting.

If I say the sky is blue outside my window right now, that in your eyes makes me a bedwetter.

No, calling something shit is an opinion, end.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How is this any different to Blair handing over power to Brown without a GE?

It's not different, it's how politics in this country works. We don't have an automatic GE when a leader changes, even if they are the leader of the ruling party. Always has been the case as far back as I know, and all sides play by the same code on this.

It's slightly odd how irate people get about it, but especially odd when people criticise a particular party for it, ignoring that they are the rules, and every party does the same.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thatcher (I hated her), Blair, Major.......none were perfect, but they were all decent. Doesn’t fall in with your over the top apathy with politics though does it? How old are you?

Calling Thatcher decent is just taking a piss on everyone below the middle class. Most issues the poor man got in UK is created by Thatchers neoliberal bullshit. Major & Blair gets a free pass because they ruled in a time of (relative) societal optimism, its a global phenomenon - the 90's leaders always seem "decent" wherever you go.

As for political apathy, its true that I've generally stopped caring - its just a theatre, The whole democracy thing is a scam, everything is decided behind closed doors. I have the same feelings about politics that I have about the "Cats" musical - its interesting and I can read up on it, but ultimately wont get involved as it is scripted with no part for me.

I am 30 years old.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This isn't democracy though is it?
First May, then this ****.
It's not democracy.

Yes it is. Get your FACTS straight. You, or anybody else, do NOT vote for a Prime Minister, you vote for someone to be a local MP. Numbers of MPs added up etc etc and you get a Government, who is the leader of that entity in the future is entirely immaterial at the point you place you vote into the ballot box. Do you get it yet?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here