Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Frank Lampards Derbys ground

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is this allowed under FFP?
Surely the ground has been sold for double its worth, now that's a good bit of business. But a sponsor or director can only pay into a club the true value of an item. For instance, sponsorship of the shirts. The FA already have a guide price (let's say £1million) and so Derby cant 'sell' sponsorship for £10million just to get money laundered into the club.
I believe Man City are in trouble over this at the moment.

It's been signed off by the EFL so one would assume so - It's £80m 'independent valuation' vs £40m on the club's books that has allowed the 'profit' to be recorded.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
What it does is allow him to have a crack at the PL for another few years without having to invest any more funds personally

That's definitely not true! Someone still has to stump up any losses the club incurs.....

Edit - I don't really know this! I shall keep my trap shut on matters that could be construed as 'accounting' :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That's definitely not true! Someone still has to stump up any losses the club incurs.....

Edit - I don't really know this! I shall keep my trap shut on matters that could be construed as 'accounting' :)

Nah - Your entitled to your opinion mate; however, the Club now have another £80m in ''working capital'' and the owner didn't need to invest it from his own pocket. He walks away with the ownership of a Football stadium for which he can charge rent as long as he chooses

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Can't see that being the case.

The Amex cost circa £93m, the training ground a couple of years on cost around £36m IIRC. There's a lot more infrastructure involved in building a stadium thats used by 30,000 people every other week I should think.

That's not how Mel is going to value it Easy. It's got to be on square footage of football pitches. If he uses any other measure he's not going to have any funds for the playoff push next season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's not how Mel is going to value it Easy. It's got to be on square footage of football pitches. If he uses any other measure he's not going to have any funds for the playoff push next season.

Can he just arbitrarily decide on what basis he's going to value it at then ? I'd have thought there would be existing parameters and regulations in place that dictate the valuation of a stadium and training ground.

I might want to inflate the value my house based on the enormous square footage of my back garden, whilst putting less emphasis that I'm in a 1 bedroom bedsit with shared bathroom / toilet facilities, next door to a plutonium disposal facility. But shirley a surveyor would have a rather different valuation.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Can he just arbitrarily decide on what basis he's going to value it at then ? I'd have thought there would be existing parameters and regulations in place that dictate the valuation of a stadium and training ground.

I might want to inflate the value my house based on the enormous square footage of my back garden, whilst putting less emphasis that I'm in a 1 bedroom bedsit with shared bathroom / toilet facilities, next door to a plutonium disposal facility. But shirley a surveyor would have a rather different valuation.

Indeed Easy. But if Mel Morris wants to buy your house for £15 million, then who are we to argue? The EFL and perhaps organised crime unit might have some questions, but frankly what do they know about the opportunity Mel has seen for your lovely property - with plutonium views.

I'm just trying to help Derby out with options to fund next year. And the training ground looks like a gold mine to me. Mel could buy it for a few hundred million and that should keep Derby in with a chance for a few more season. Beautiful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here