Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Bournemouth example of succeeding?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've seen a lot about how well Bournemouth have done in the Premier League

BUT have they really?

2015/16 Position 16th Points 42
2016/17 Position 9th Points 46
2017/18 Position 12th Points 44
2018/19 Position 12th Points 41 (4 games to go), maybe 46

Their record is good up to a point, but successful? It's arguable. Reportedly they have spent more money than a fair few clubs and in four seasons their highest number of points is 46. Not much sign of the progression that people seem to expect from our team and Hughton?

That said, would I rather watch their brand of football to ours even if it got similar results? definitely yes.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That's solid mid table and as far as I recall never really been threatened by relegation ... that's pretty successful imo

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For a club their size it is wildly successful.

Just goes to show that sometimes, cheats do indeed prosper.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I've seen a lot about how well Bournemouth have done in the Premier League

BUT have they really?

2015/16 Position 16th Points 42
2016/17 Position 9th Points 46
2017/18 Position 12th Points 44
2018/19 Position 12th Points 41 (4 games to go), maybe 46

Their record is good up to a point, but successful? It's arguable. Reportedly they have spent more money than a fair few clubs and in four seasons their highest number of points is 46. Not much sign of the progression that people seem to expect from our team and Hughton?

That said, would I rather watch their brand of football to ours even if it got similar results? definitely yes.

Blimey I think 99% of Brighton fans would consider Bournemouths league position each year and their style of football light years in front of our expectations. They may have achieved this on a higher players budget and higher wages but they have done so well. We seem to berate Bmuff on this board but good luck to them I say, we would love to be in their position.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Blimey I think 99% of Brighton fans would consider Bournemouths league position each year and their style of football light years in front of our expectations. They may have achieved this on a higher players budget and higher wages but they have done so well. We seem to berate Bmuff on this board but good luck to them I say, we would love to be in their position.

And yet, they managed 4 points more than us last season.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'd say that the Bournemouth approach of playing to win rather than ours of playing not to lose is a breath of fresh air and clearly shows there is another way.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Four seasons in the Premier League safely navigated and they'll be looking forward to their fifth. Sounds successful enough to me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That's where we want to be.

The difference between us and Bournemouth (they hate it when we say this, but it is true) we have the modern infrastructure to push on from that.

They've done very well to get to where they are, and particularly how they've done over the last three seasons - credit to their manager, recruitment team and youth development for that. We should look to do similar. At the moment we are falling way short of it.
Push on to where? To the next level? We're not supposed to be wanting to move up to the next level according to many on here.

Surely that's what the infrastructure has been put into place for? If not, why did TB bother spending all that money? Tax relief?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Could you see us sticking 4 past Chelsea like they did ???
We'd still play 1 up front against a Chelsea Pensioners 11.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
All this and a ground 1/3 the size of ours. Well done Bournemouth. They seem to be making up the difference with bigger prize money from a consistently better league position.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Boring and stay up I can stomach. Dull and relegation is, well, what anyone deserves.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I like the way they recruit, quality young and hungry players, very little of this players from the Dutch League but fringe players at big clubs. Bournemouth also seem happy to give young players game time, if Brooks was on our books would be have had the same opportunities.
Out of curiosity anyone know the Bournemouth wage bill in comparison to ours?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd say that the Bournemouth approach of playing to win rather than ours of playing not to lose is a breath of fresh air and clearly shows there is another way.

Hard to argue with that

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
they've lost 17 times this season. So have the Albion.

I am willing to lay money that they were all far more entertaining games than most of our 17 defeats and isn’t entertainment most fans want. Nobody expects us to do better than we have done but we have seen some really turgid tactics and football apart from an enjoyable spell mid season when we lost with style.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Solanke @ £19m 8 appearances, 2 starts, no goals, couldn't even score against us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here