Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] People who clap off an Albion player for rightly being sent off

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the only time I've applauded one of our players off the pitch after they've received a red card is Ashley Barnes v Burnley. I didn't see anything wrong with his challenge (certainly no worse than the Burnley player) and was astounded that the Burnley player that put his hands around Ashley's throat while he was prone on the ground hadn't been sent off.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Simply, why?

So confused by this. Knockaert puts in a disgusting and brainless challenge, completely robbing us of any last chance to get back in the game. What the **** is there to clap about?

Surely by this logic, you also clap Brighton scoring own goals?

Because they didn't see it properly, obviously. Loads of people round me thought it shouldn't have been red. What a pointless, brain dead thread.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because they didn't see it properly, obviously. Loads of people round me thought it shouldn't have been red. What a pointless, brain dead thread.

If you don’t see an own goal properly, do you clap incase the Brighton player was actually trying to a heroic clearance and was unlucky?

Not brain dead at all - if you’re not sure what happened, why the **** would you clap one of our players getting sent off? Bizarre.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Simply, why?

So confused by this. Knockaert puts in a disgusting and brainless challenge, completely robbing us of any last chance to get back in the game. What the **** is there to clap about?

Surely by this logic, you also clap Brighton scoring own goals?

In the big scheme of being an Albion fan right now this is utterly irrelevant. Crap tackle by Knocky that has, and may still more, cost us dear. Probably his last game for us I expect. Do I give a flying toss if some others clapped him off or not? No. That said, at least he showed some passion unlike Stephens.

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
I think the only time I've applauded one of our players off the pitch after they've received a red card is Ashley Barnes v Burnley. I didn't see anything wrong with his challenge (certainly no worse than the Burnley player) and was astounded that the Burnley player that put his hands around Ashley's throat while he was prone on the ground hadn't been sent off.
How about Ashley re the away trip to Shed Wednesday![emoji16]

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I didn’t clap it as I couldn’t see it. But a lot of people around me were rightly still furious about Mepham not being sent off for a headbutt and I’d imagine that meant that their loyalty to the club took over and skewered their perception of the situation.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Happened more or less in front of us in the North. In real time, it looked very much like the Bmuff player was travelling at speed out towards the touchline, Knocky just clipped him and the player's forward momentum sent him crashing out. Certainly looked to make a bit of a meal of it once he'd gone to ground, maybe just a bit out of puff. Not seen any replays yet tho, so may well be wrong.

LOL.

I put my head in my hands the second he did it, before the Bournemouth had even hit the deck.

Was absolutely astonished to hear one normally very sensible chap a few seats along go “oh what? It wasn’t even a foul. Is he booking him for diving?!”...naturally his tongue was firmly in cheek.

Appalling, embarrassingly bad moment.

Also think Andone (who was arguably the worst player on the pitch) was very lucky to stay on.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In the absence of VAR (and any serious input from the linesman?) then the ref probably had little option but to send Knocky off. Definitely one that needs to be seen again.

Is this a parody account? You’re blaming VAR for the fact you clearly missed the incident? In a thread full of Brighton fans who are saying what a horrible tackle it was?

el punal

He will never learn.
He has been allowed to make critical mistake after critical mistake at this level but has been indulged by manager and fans. He is a walking liability. He refuses to adjust his style to PL demands, continually overplays and regularly loses the ball.
Championship player at best. Lets get rid now and find a more solid, more consistent replacement. Leicester were right. They said he wasn't good enough at this level and they were right. Two or three cameos a season is simply not enough and is more than offset by the string of critical mistakes he makes.

I wish you were wrong, but in all honesty you’ve hit the nail on the head. It is such a shame that a player who was once magical and adored by us Albion fans has now turned into a sullen and spiteful figure.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
In the absence of VAR (and any serious input from the linesman?) then the ref probably had little option but to send Knocky off. Definitely one that needs to be seen again.

Reddest Red Card you’ll see.

Have you seen it again yet?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It was a violent act by a petulant player. But he was singularly the only Albion player yesterday who showed any passion after the first 22 minutes.
It was an absolutely shocking performance by 9 players (and a poor performance by Yves). We all know Knocky wears his heart on his sleeve and responds directly to the crowd and visa versa.
He made a really terrible mistake and will pay for it by being excluded for the remainder of the season (in ban and backlash) IMO, but he lives and breathes Albion, just like the fans and without support he will self-implode. He has been through hell over the past couple of years and still given us his all. A little respect even though he made an absolutely awful mistake yesterday is the least he deserves.

Should he have stayed on the pitch... Absolutely not.
Should he stay in the squad... Probably not.
Does he need some support... Absolutely.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
As soon as it happened I said to my daughter "He's off" and so he was, rightly so. Disgraceful, reckless tackle, totally out of control. Let us all down in a vital game, and this after giving away the ball which led directly to a Bournemouth goal. Should have been made to walk off in complete silence so he could grasp the gravity of his stupidity.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
he will never learn.
He has been allowed to make critical mistake after critical mistake at this level but has been indulged by manager and fans. He is a walking liability. He refuses to adjust his style to pl demands, continually overplays and regularly loses the ball.
Championship player at best. Lets get rid now and find a more solid, more consistent replacement. Leicester were right. They said he wasn't good enough at this level and they were right. Two or three cameos a season is simply not enough and is more than offset by the string of critical mistakes he makes.

this is spot on

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The lino had plenty of input he was instantly and repeatedly talking to the ref throughout the whole aftermath.

Although as all he had to say was "off" I can only guess the rest of the conversation was about where they were going for din-dins afterwards.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It was a violent act by a petulant player. But he was singularly the only Albion player yesterday who showed any passion after the first 22 minutes.
It was an absolutely shocking performance by 9 players (and a poor performance by Yves). We all know Knocky wears his heart on his sleeve and responds directly to the crowd and visa versa.
He made a really terrible mistake and will pay for it by being excluded for the remainder of the season (in ban and backlash) IMO, but he lives and breathes Albion, just like the fans and without support he will self-implode. He has been through hell over the past couple of years and still given us his all. A little respect even though he made an absolutely awful mistake yesterday is the least he deserves.

Should he have stayed on the pitch... Absolutely not.
Should he stay in the squad... Probably not.
Does he need some support... Absolutely.

All of this.
Particularly the bold part... he’s tried harder than any other player in the last few weeks to make things work. Sadly he’s shot himself and the team in the foot

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Got to admit I didn't see the severity of the challenge at the time. Thought we were going to see the usual, player making a meal of it and ref falling for it so I thought AK had been hard done by.

Viewing position matters a lot and the clappers may have not seen it right either.

Seeing it on MOTD it was a terrible challenge.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's the sort of desperate, out of control lunge he makes too often, but his timing is usually so poor he doesn't just miss the ball, he misses the player, too often to loud winces from the crowd who realise just how reckless that lunging was.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The only people I clapped off yesterday were the fans leaving the north on the final whistle (I was outside having a fag on 75mins) saw a few punch ups between fans and then stewards going at each other!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Got to admit I didn't see the severity of the challenge at the time. Thought we were going to see the usual, player making a meal of it and ref falling for it so I thought AK had been hard done by.

Viewing position matters a lot and the clappers may have not seen it right either.

Seeing it on MOTD it was a terrible challenge.

Same here.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

And Ashley Barnes when he tripped the ref at Bolton (I think) - there wasn't long to go, and it was so entertaining it was well worthy of applause!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here