Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Removed from thread

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Firstly, many thanks for explaining the reason on the moderating section:

"This user has ended up banned under the totting up process. He was given the lowest possible infraction for starting a thread about being banned from another thread but this was enough for a short holiday.

He was banned from the original thread for calling someone a prick."

For what it's worth, I think we're getting into very dangerous, draconian territory when people are banned from threads for simple, schoolyard insults.

There's plenty of threads that contain insults and I for one wouldn't want to see longstanding contributors to NSC denied speech for comparatively minor remarks.

Furthermore, unless I've missed something (which is quite possible), there's also no explanation of the totting up process which has led to a 'short holiday'.

In football, one can clearly see disciplinary points accrued by individual players and the likely sanctions that will be enforced for future transgressions.

Perhaps this is something that could be considered?

As "it simply isn't possible to moderate every post on every thread", one might hope that any visible incentive for poster self-moderation would be a help to mods.

Schoolyard insults should stay in the school yard (and comeonboro).

It’s great that the Mod’s deal with posters who resort to aggression, trolling, lurking or insults (AKA people who’ve lost the original argument). It’s one of the pluses that sets NSC apart.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What has Trump said that makes him racist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump said:
In his 1991 book Trumped! John O'Donnell quoted Trump as saying:

I've got black accountants at Trump Castle and at Trump Plaza. Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys wearing yarmulkes.... Those are the only kind of people I want counting my money. Nobody else... Besides that, I tell you something else. I think that's guy's lazy. And it's probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks.​

On the night of April 19, 1989, Trisha Meili was assaulted, raped, and sodomized in Manhattan's Central Park. On the night of the attack, five juvenile males—four African Americans and one of Hispanic descent—were apprehended in connection with a number of attacks in Central Park committed by around 30 teenage perpetrators. The prosecution ignored evidence suggesting there was a single perpetrator whose DNA did not match any of the suspects, instead using confessions that the suspects said were coerced and false.
In 2002, an imprisoned serial rapist confessed to the jogger's rape, which was confirmed by DNA evidence, and the convictions of the five men were vacated. They sued New York City in 2003 for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress. Lawyers for the five defendants said that Trump's advertisement had inflamed public opinion. The city settled the case for $41 million in 2014. In June of that year, Trump called the settlement "a disgrace" and said that the group's guilt was still likely: "Settling doesn't mean innocence. [...] These young men do not exactly have the pasts of angels."

Of course, racism isn't just what you say...
In 1973 the U.S. Department of Justice sued Trump Management, Donald Trump and his father Fred, for discrimination against black people in their renting practices. The impetus for the suit was the Trumps' alleged refusal to "rent apartments in one of his developments to African-Americans", violating the Fair Housing Act.
The Trump Organization was sued again in 1978 for violating terms of the 1975 settlement by continuing to refuse to rent to black tenants; Trump and his lawyer Roy Cohn denied the charges. In 1983 the Metropolitan Action Institute noted that two Trump Village properties were still over 95% White

And that was before running for election.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Schoolyard insults should stay in the school yard (and comeonboro).

It’s great that the Mod’s deal with posters who resort to aggression, trolling, lurking or insults (AKA people who’ve lost the original argument). It’s one of the pluses that sets NSC apart.

As is invariably the case with most of your posts, I concur. I was probably too accommodating with the aspect of insults, however comparatively minor.

If infractions being given out can help with the smooth running of the board whilst ensuring consistency, clarity and transparency, then I'm all for that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There is an agenda from the mods.

We don't like people calling each other pricks and suchlike and have politely posted warnings to this issue in the past.

If you choose to ignore it you take a risk of being banned if the post is reported or seen.

If you don't like the agenda other message boards are available. No one forces you to post or read content here.

Many thanks for the clarification on insults and the repercussions.

NSC has been most enjoyable over the last 2 decades, so the idea of another message board is anathema.

In view of this, I'll be happy to support the mods by reporting insults and language that could be considered offensive.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There is an agenda from the mods.

We don't like people calling each other pricks and suchlike and have politely posted warnings to this issue in the past.

If you choose to ignore it you take a risk of being banned if the post is reported or seen.

If you don't like the agenda other message boards are available. No one forces you to post or read content here.

I should remind you that my behaviour on here has been of a very high standard.

Below is a list of my total infractions in 10 years. Although my 3 month ban isn't listed for some reason ??? and the mod who enforced this has remained a secret.

infractions.jpg

The reason why GB banned me for 3 days was not for calling someone a prick, nor for totting up infractions as he also claimed. I was banned because he felt irritated by me. :lolol:

I rest my case your honour

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Below is a list of my total infractions in 10 years. Although my 3 month ban isn't listed for some reason ??? and the mod who enforced this has remained a secret.

View attachment 105151

The reason why GB banned me for 3 days was not for calling someone a prick, nor for totting up infractions as he also claimed. I was banned because he felt irritated by me. :lolol:

You're wrong though. There is a standard list of tariffs for infractions on NSC, with the lowest being 1 point for what the system (we don't create the headings) calls 'Unduly irritating behaviour' which generates one infraction point, rising to 3 for a minor misdemeanour, 10 for a major and 1,000 for spamming.

GB wasn't irritated by your constant self pity, he simply gave you the lowest sanction possible for breaking the rules in terms of starting a thread about sanctions being applied, which were for a single word post of 'prick' for someone who doesn't share your views.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you get a ban you should take it on the chin. Too many namby pamby's on here who think their opinions should be heard no matter how abusive. Little Lord Fontleroy's.

I was banned for a while for calling someone a Prick. I accept my banning. The poster was a prick but I broke the rules. Fairs fair.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You're wrong though. There is a standard list of tariffs for infractions on NSC, with the lowest being 1 point for what the system (we don't create the headings) calls 'Unduly irritating behaviour' which generates one infraction point, rising to 3 for a minor misdemeanour, 10 for a major and 1,000 for spamming.

GB wasn't irritated by your constant self pity, he simply gave you the lowest sanction possible for breaking the rules in terms of starting a thread about sanctions being applied, which were for a single word post of 'prick' for someone who doesn't share your views.

Don't flatter yourself, there is no self pity. I only use NSC these days to play spot the **** anyway. It's either that or the next Hughton Out thread on NSC these days.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've never seen this thread before . I didn't realise quite how much of a whinger symjym was before I read this. Starting a thread about being banned from one thread. Cringe.
What a ****ing loser.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ah and the little troll turned up to stick its oar in again. Point proven again. I am being stalked.

You're being engaged with on a public forum. Jiminny Cricket! You really do like to play the hard done by victim, don't you? Calling everyone who disagrees with you a troll butters no parsnips round here, laddy. Grow a spine.
I'm off for afternoon tea. I suggest you take a time out too.

TBTC

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't flatter yourself, there is no self pity. I only use NSC these days to play spot the **** anyway. It's either that or the next Hughton Out thread on NSC these days.

I don’t clash with you on NSC and am certainly no Corbynista etc.

Just an opinion you can ignore if you want, but why don’t you take a step back, have a cup of tea or a break and come back more relaxed. It’s really not that important. Look at this another way, the people you’re clashing with aren’t influencing anyone here with their politics, neither are you, so can’t lose out by always having the last say.

I say to my teenage kids that the moment they get wound up about politics, go and do something happy.

NSC’ers btw has a wide range of political views, but many can’t be arsed to talk about it all day long.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don’t clash with you on NSC and am certainly no Corbynista etc.

Just an opinion you can ignore if you want, but why don’t you take a step back, have a cup of tea or a break and come back more relaxed. It’s really not that important. Look at this another way, the people you’re clashing with aren’t influencing anyone here with their politics, neither are you, so can’t lose out by always having the last say.

I say to my teenage kids that the moment they get wound up about politics, go and do something happy.

NSC’ers btw has a wide range of political views, but many can’t be arsed to talk about it all day long.

I agree, I'm just playing cat and string with my stalking trolls. All I have to do is give an honest opinion and the repeat offenders come out to play, on cue, and like rats to the cheese. Like my little friend in the previous comment.

I don't take any of it seriously though.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, I'm just playing cat and string with my stalking trolls. All I have to do is give an honest opinion and the repeat offenders come out to play, on cue, and like rats to the cheese. Like my little friend in the previous comment.

I don't take any of it seriously though.

I hope so. It really isn’t worth it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Politely, I have to disagree.

There was speculation on this thread that the OP was prevented from posting as he called someone else a 'prick'.

And yet on another thread (the 'Shit Day' one), there were a number of insults flying around from long-established posters.

No action was taken on it. And if that's a reason, just like the worst referees, there appears to be little if any consistency.

Either way, it's unclear why he was prevented from posting as the lines of what's acceptable and unacceptable aren't clearly drawn on the pitch.

For the record, I wouldn't have taken any action of any of the above. But the fact that it was cited as a possible reason is enough to question.

Without clarity and transparency, accusations of bias and arbitrary decisions being made under the blanket of anonymity will continue.

And the effective silencing of discussion by moving the thread to 'The Other Stuff' won't stop it either.

It wouldn't even be that difficult to implement:

Moderator:
Reason:

In short, if a mod makes a conscious decision to stop someone from posting, they should be willing to publicly give a reason why.

We owe it to all members to make this as good as a board as it can be through user-generated improvements.

Improving transparency can only be a good thing.

Have to agree. I was once reported for calling someone a knob, and barred from the thread. The person reporting is to this day throwing worse insults at others with impunity.

I post far less now, funny that. Threads like 'Jamie' made this place interesting, and the risk of litigation is no higher than then, just the fear of it has increased.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have to agree. I was once reported for calling someone a knob, and barred from the thread. The person reporting is to this day throwing worse insults at others with impunity.

I post far less now, funny that. Threads like 'Jamie' made this place interesting, and the risk of litigation is no higher than then, just the fear of it has increased.

You post far less because you're in Melbourne. I posted very rarely when I lived in Sydney. I was in the wrong timezone for many of the debates, wasn't at games and my view on British politics counted for diddly squat :wink:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

View attachment 105151

How does one see how many infractions one has 'earned'?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here