Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Upbeat comments from Stephens about Albion’s new style

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The players have definitely bought into it, as have I as a fan. Whether we can make it work is still debatable though

He says in today’s Argus article:

It is always harder and more demanding when you are in a defensive block, shuffling across the pitch.

“I think it is more mentally draining.

“When you get an opportunity to go and press a team, you feel like you are on top.”

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I really hope we can make it work. Personally I think we’ll just stay up but press on next season with the the potterball philosophy. It’s great to hear that the players enjoy the new regime.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I really hope we can make it work. Personally I think we’ll just stay up but press on next season with the the potterball philosophy. It’s great to hear that the players enjoy the new regime.

I agree, if we can survive this season, with so many exciting players in the pipeline - Aaron Connolly, Percy Tau, Alexis Mc, Ben White to name but a few, it promises to be a very exciting period for our club obviously if we are relegated we will need a Contingency plan as none other than maybe Aaron will want to play in the Championship.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The players have definitely bought into it, as have I as a fan. Whether we can make it work is still debatable though

He says in today’s Argus article:

It is always harder and more demanding when you are in a defensive block, shuffling across the pitch.

“I think it is more mentally draining.

“When you get an opportunity to go and press a team, you feel like you are on top.”

As always, hardly going to be disparaging of it.

I wonder how many players ‘who have bought into it’ will remain if things go pear shaped.

Personally, I too like the higher press, but I think we need to be very mindful of defensive responsibilities as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I agree, if we can survive this season, with so many exciting players in the pipeline - Aaron Connolly, Percy Tau, Alexis Mc, Ben White to name but a few, it promises to be a very exciting period for our club obviously if we are relegated we will need a Contingency plan as none other than maybe Aaron will want to play in the Championship.

I’d be delighted to be proved wrong, but I’m pretty sure Tau will never pull on a Brighton shirt, much the same re Alexis McAlister. Recruitment for next season, if we say up, is going to be more important than ever. All IMO of course.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’d be delighted to be proved wrong, but I’m pretty sure Tau will never pull on a Brighton shirt, much the same re Alexis McAlister. Recruitment for next season, if we say up, is going to be more important than ever. All IMO of course.

I just hope Molumby is here for his entire career. From what I’ve seen, he’d be in the team now if I was in charge. Very very classy player.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

I wonder how many players ‘who have bought into it’ will remain if things go pear shaped.

Personally, I too like the higher press, but I think we need to be very mindful of defensive responsibilities as well.

Hi Chris :wave:

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
Stephens is one player who has really benefited from the change of manager/tactics.

Early candidate for Player of the season?

I think Stephens, Propper, March, Dunk and Montoya have all benefited hugely from the change. The only one who I think has struggled is Duffy. (And I'm not knocking him, I just don't think the change plays to his strengths).

If Stephens continues like he's started, he'll definitely be up there for Player of the Season :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I know that you are reluctant to embrace the Albion post Hughton but I think those comments by Stephens are as damning of how we played last season as they are enthusiastic for how we are trying to play now. I struggle to understand how any fan ( and there are certainly quite a few on here) was happy to continue playing in this this division year on year the way we played for the vast majority of last season. At least we now look like we belong here...imo

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

I think Tau wouldn't mind what division he plays in. Realistically, it's not going to be a British one.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know that you are reluctant to embrace the Albion post Hughton but I think those comments by Stephens are as damning of how we played last season as they are enthusiastic for how we are trying to play now. I struggle to understand how any fan ( and there are certainly quite a few on here) was happy to continue playing in this this division year on year the way we played for the vast majority of last season. At least we now look like we belong here...imo

Yes, mainly because gung-ho football is not the way forward for teams at our level. It’s easy for Pep to say how good we were, but if he was manager of a struggling team he may have a different opinion and consider how he could survive.

Our priority should be survival. Hughton for all his faults achieved that, albeit playing very defensively (particularly in the second half of the season). It remains to be seen whether this will work, and obviously we all hope that it does, but I will be sick if we get relegated. I want to see the best teams and best players.

The only thing for me that has been proved so far is that the offensive signings Hughton was given, apparently weren’t very good. Which most us knew anyway.

As for Stephens comments, I think naive to think players would comment in anything but a positive way of their new manager.

Likewise all IMO [emoji2]

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, mainly because gung-ho football is not the way forward for teams at our level. It’s easy for Pep to say how good we were, but if he was manager of a struggling team he may have a different opinion and consider how he could survive.

Our priority should be survival. Hughton for all his faults achieved that, albeit playing very defensively (particularly in the second half of the season). It remains to be seen whether this will work, and obviously we all hope that it does, but I will be sick if we get relegated. I want to see the best teams and best players.

The only thing for me that has been proved so far is that the offensive signings Hughton was given, apparently weren’t very good. Which most us knew anyway.

As for Stephens comments, I think naive to think players would comment in anything but a positive way of their new manager.

Likewise all IMO [emoji2]

Given the last few months of last season and the shaking like a shitting dog performances, we were going down this season anyway. CH tactics had been found out by every Premier League manager and if we’re going down let’s not do it playing football that turns every football fan off.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Given the last few months of last season and the shaking like a shitting dog performances, we were going down this season anyway. CH tactics had been found out by every manager and if we’re going down let’s not do it playing football that turns every football fan off.

Possibly, but we’ll never know.
What we do know is he found a way of staying up, which given the limited squad and budget was a significant achievement.

I do feel we may have struggled and by November it may have been necessary to change, but then we will probably struggle anyway - time will tell.

I couldn’t give a flying f.... about other teams fans, it’s only Brighton I care about [emoji106]

Edit
I do like Potter giving the youngsters a chance, which Hughton didn’t do enough.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What we do know is he found a way of staying up, which given the limited squad and budget was a significant achievement.

I do feel we may have struggled and by November it may have been necessary to change, but then we will probably struggle anyway - time will tell.

I couldn’t give a flying f.... about other teams fans, it’s only Brighton I care about [emoji106]

My comment about “every football fan” includes a fair proportion of Albion fans including our chairman, it seems :smile:

We gave CH a good go and he fell well short from Xmas on, imo the players had lost faith and that is the kiss of death.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Edit
I do like Potter giving the youngsters a chance, which Hughton didn’t do enough.

IMO his staying up philosophy worked for about a season and a half. Fortunately the half was enough to keep us up for the 2nd season.

The last half of last season, especially the last few games we were ATROCIOUS and I can't see how this season would have changed.

Backs to the wall philosophy only lasts so long.

Chris did a brilliant job getting and keeping us up. Time for a new style for us to move forward in to a stable mid table club and the CH style wouldn't have done that imo.

And the players are buying into it per DS comments.

Could you have thought he would be up for Player of the season after last season?

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My comment about “every football fan” includes a fair proportion of Albion fans including our chairman, it seems :smile:

We gave CH a good go and he fell well short from Xmas on, imo the players had lost faith and that is the kiss of death.

Some players had. Probably the ones who weren’t playing and may have departed, though clearly Propper wasn’t happy and his performances in particular reflected that.

Yes it was poor from February onwards, no denying it. Coincided with Gross being unavailable....

At the end of the day it is Bloom’s money and the Bournemouth and Cardiff performances would have certainly not helped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here