Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hope it works out for him. At least with Naylor & Owen at the helm the Argus didn’t descend to cutting and pasting comments from Twitter and passing it off as news, as has happened at many other papers.

Always found Andy to be professional, didn’t always share his views but then that’s the sign of a good journo, prepared to say what he felt was right than what was populist.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You can see why it would appeal to the likes of Naylor and Hay. The constant grinding for local newspaper publications must be quite soul-destroying...

"The popular view then, as it remains now, was that people just aren’t willing to pay for content online and that to win in media you have to put out a high volume of free articles on social.

The Athletic took the opposite approach. It’s a narrative violation. Everything is part of a paid subscription, with the belief that instead of writers needing to post 3-4 pieces per day, they should focus on deeper stories that add value to paid subscribers over time. That worldview resonated with us."​

And this is why they'd want the likes of Naylor:

"When we expand into a new market, we gain new subscribers by hiring writers who have a following already and by word of mouth from existing subscribers. Then like any direct-to-consumer brand, we are acquiring subscribers through Google, Facebook and Twitter."​

Both from an interview with The Athletic's CEO - https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/theathletic-interview/

With so many free news and in depth articles already I can’t see too many people paying £10 pm for AN’s articles. Especially as the replacement for Seagulls TV appears to be free.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seagulls TV for free (or maybe some of it), subscription to read Andy Naylor, previously free.

The Lord giveth and The Lord taketh away.................................

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Haven’t loads of local football journalists left their jobs recently saying they are involved in a new venture?

Are they all Conservative candidates?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Didn't somebody late of this parish used to write vaguely football related guff for some local freebie.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
With so many free news and in depth articles already I can’t see too many people paying £10 pm for AN’s articles. Especially as the replacement for Seagulls TV appears to be free.

This. Completely agree.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't somebody late of this parish used to write vaguely football related guff for some local freebie.
Still does. Then posts the same story on here but pretends to be a woman. A woman with the same level of disdain for English.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
$10 = ~£8

No doubt it will introduce itself at a lower rate.

I'd be almost certain to pay that, so that's 1 subscriber at least.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whatever disagreements I've had with Naylor in the past it has to be said he's had a thankless task, sometimes having to craft articles out of absolutely nothing just to satisfy an employer who has turned in to a clickbait-funded home for the increasingly mad. It's no wonder he's jumped ship.

Would I pay a subscription to read Andy Naylor though? No, I wouldn't. Would I pay one to read a whole crop of very decent football writers? I might just.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Hope it works out for him. At least with Naylor & Owen at the helm the Argus didn’t descend to cutting and pasting comments from Twitter and passing it off as news, as has happened at many other papers.

Always found Andy to be professional, didn’t always share his views but then that’s the sign of a good journo, prepared to say what he felt was right than what was populist.
Completely agree. Naylor’s perspective and rationality in the midst of our often irascible fans was really refreshing. Enjoyed his mid-game updates on Twitter as well. All the best to him in the future, will certainly miss his insight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
$10 = ~£8
No doubt it will introduce itself at a lower rate.
I'd be almost certain to pay that, so that's 1 subscriber at least.

?? The $ model of the Athletic (if it turns out to be similar/and featuring journalists like AN) is according to that piece $60 per year. or $5 a month.
PS: actually there seem to be various payment models: https://theathletic.com/

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
?? The $ model of the Athletic (if it turns out to be similar/and featuring journalists like AN) is according to that piece $60 per year. or $5 a month.
It was mentioned that they charged $9.99 a month. I have no idea what the correct figure is.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Reliable local journo. No more balloon bursting 'Naylor says no'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here