Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't think you could have summed it up more accurately.

[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is fine on other threads and I agree with lots of things he has said over the years but this thread is really strange.

He accepts that there isn't and never was a 'good deal' and the only deal available was a TM type deal with some sort of customs union (or backstop). He understands that no-one can give the faintest definition of what this 'good deal' that was sold by the Leave campaign actually consists of, and the reason for that is because it was a lie.

I believe that he also now accepts that 'no deal' is, as near as dammit, 'project fear'. I think that he also understands that ending free movement for EU citizens on day one of Brexit is impossible and that having no border in NI and allowing tariff free trade access to the world is an impossible situation from which to commence trade talks. As a result I think he now understands that 'no deal' is also a lie.

Now, obviously he is not a dribbling moron like [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] , and nor is he easily confused and hopelessly naive like [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION].

He could, of course, simply say 'I still don't like the EU but can see that leaving at this time would not be of any benefit to Britain' but instead he continues to push a 'good deal' and 'no deal' as possible solutions despite these Leave campaign soundbites being shown to be complete and utter lies that are undefinable and unimplementable.

I really can't think of any other reason why a seemingly intelligent individual would try to push undefinable, unimplementable lies other than 'the thrall of the brexit madness' (or maybe he runs some serious investment funds :wink: )

*edit*

I've just thought. Supposing [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION], [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] turned out to be partners in a group responsible for some serious overseas investment funds. Some of us would look a bit silly then :ohmy: :lolol:

Blimey I never thought of that and the brains behind the outfit could be Two Profs.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They are the two largest and richest nations in the EU, so it's not surprising that they carry the most clout in the EU. However all decisions within the EU have to be reached unanimously, any nation can veto any decision they don't like.

Maybe they have but Germany and France have all the power.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

No they don't. As said, there are many scenarios where all nations have a veto (even Malta), and many other decisions which are reached through the European Parliament, which as with any democratically elected Parliament is split up according to population but no single entity dominates it. France and Germany carry the most clout, but don't have all the power. In the same way the US dominates the UN but can't just do what it wants.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
No they don't. As said, there are many scenarios where all nations have a veto (even Malta), and many other decisions which are reached through the European Parliament, which as with any democratically elected Parliament is split up according to population but no single entity dominates it. France and Germany carry the most clout, but don't have all the power. In the same way the US dominates the UN but can't just do what it wants.

Yes you've said that before. Or something similar

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is fine on other threads and I agree with lots of things he has said over the years but this thread is really strange.

He accepts that there isn't and never was a 'good deal' and the only deal available was a TM type deal with some sort of customs union (or backstop). He understands that no-one can give the faintest definition of what this 'good deal' that was sold by the Leave campaign actually consists of, and the reason for that is because it was a lie.

I believe that he also now accepts that 'no deal' is, as near as dammit, 'project fear'. I think that he also understands that ending free movement for EU citizens on day one of Brexit is impossible and that having no border in NI and allowing tariff free trade access to the world is an impossible situation from which to commence trade talks. As a result I think he now understands that 'no deal' is also a lie.

Now, obviously he is not a dribbling moron like [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] , and nor is he easily confused and hopelessly naive like [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION].

He could, of course, simply say 'I still don't like the EU but can see that leaving at this time would not be of any benefit to Britain' but instead he continues to push a 'good deal' and 'no deal' as possible solutions despite these Leave campaign soundbites being shown to be complete and utter lies that are undefinable and unimplementable.

I really can't think of any other reason why a seemingly intelligent individual would try to push undefinable, unimplementable lies other than 'the thrall of the brexit madness' (or maybe he runs some serious investment funds :wink: )

*edit*

I've just thought. Supposing [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION], [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] turned out to be partners in a group responsible for some serious overseas investment funds. Some of us would look a bit silly then :ohmy: :lolol:

Could you be anymore sanctimonious?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Did I say they have all the MEPs? You really do twist things to suit yourself don't you? I fully understand how the eu works. However Germany and France the main players! End off!

You didn't say Germany and France were the main players, you said Germany and France have ALL THE POWER. Look at what YOU wrote in the last 5 minutes !

They have power proportional to their populations, hence the main players are Germany, UK, Italy, France, Poland, Spain, Roumania and Netherlands, which you would know if you looked at the link I very kindly provided you with rather than just running off your pre-conceived, incorrect assumptions :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Much is said about what people had back then but don't have now. I seem to remember that credit cards didn't exist and people only bought things they could pay for. You weren't able to build up credit for things you wanted but couldn't afford

Hire Purchase, where the item didn't actually belong to you until you'd paid off the final instalment.
Interest added on far higher than any credit card charges.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Hire Purchase, where the item didn't actually belong to you until you'd paid off the final instalment.
Interest added on far higher than any credit card charges.

I think there was a lot more control over HP though and the vetting was such that you couldn't rack up too many HP agreements. That doesn't seem to be the case with credit cards where people can easily spend more than they can afford to pay back.

Don't even get me started on the lack of central heating that meant the inside of the windows froze......anyway enough of this lets get back to the bunfight that is Brexit :)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
image.jpeg

Jan 30, 2008

*edit*

Silly no ,just a pompous know it all
Regards
DR

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills