Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn Offside

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The way you’re explaining it, which I believe is wrong, Burn could have been standing 15 yards offside, in a clear offside position and gaining an advantage. Defender wins header from ball played forward and deliberately nods it towards his goalie, not seeing Burn, Burn collects in his offside position and scores!

You say goal, I say offside at the point the ball was played forward by Brighton player!

If it’s the former watch out for a spate of goal hangers ala the school playground.

You’re wrong i’m afraid. There was one last year between Kane and Lovern which totally changed my understanding of the law. Below link explains it better.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blo...tottenham-have-had-two-penalties-at-liverpool

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
But Burn was offside when Duffy misses the header. So if Duffy connects he is offside.

View attachment 114502

[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] I bow to your infinite wisdom. After a quick double check, I can happily say I am wrong. But what a stupid rule. Completely non-sensical and confusing to be able to put a defender in a position where they have to play the ball and if they get it wrong at all offside doesn't matter anymore. The below video though, I understand why it is correct, makes little logical sense to me.

So in conclusion [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]; if Duffy heads the ball Burn is offside, but if Wet Spam defender heads it he isn't? And the reality is that nobody headed it so it was offside anyway? All correct?

But we see similar. I can't remember who it was against, but I believe it was a home game against a big six side, which was on TV, where we had the ball out on the north east wing (possibly a corner) and the ball was swung in, a defender headed it down toward goal and one of our players connected, swept it in. The lino initially flagged, the ref immediately went over to check with the lino and they allowed the goal to stand.

If people were to goal hang, defenders would stop passing it back, and it would prove fruitless. It also impacts on your attack - your most forward man is offside so if you win the ball you can't play it to him, so you're down a man, and even if you try to play it to someone else, he risks interfering with an opponent.

EDIT: Everton. Corner played in, defender heads it back towards goal to an offside Locardia. Not exactly the same. But there have been instances where what you've said has happened (trying to pass to a player in an offside position, gets taken by a defender and sent in his direction anyway) and the goals stood/not been ruled offside (not necessarily 15 yards, but that's not important, you're onside or offside. 15 yards offside is no more an offence than 15 inches offside.

https://youtu.be/WT0kEYomcX0

You’re wrong i’m afraid. There was one last year between Kane and Lovern which totally changed my understanding of the law. Below link explains it better.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blo...tottenham-have-had-two-penalties-at-liverpool

This is an interesting discussion. However, surely that Toronto goal should have been disallowed? The number 14 is in an offside position and CLEARLY "active" - his teammate is attempting (and succeeding) to play the ball to him and number 14 is moving to collect the pass. Although the defender does subsequently play the ball, hasn't the offside offence already occurred at that point?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This is an interesting discussion. However, surely that Toronto goal should have been disallowed? The number 14 is in an offside position and CLEARLY "active" - his teammate is attempting (and succeeding) to play the ball to him and number 14 is moving to collect the pass. Although the defender does subsequently play the ball, hasn't the offside offence already occurred at that point?

Despite absolutely agreeing with you, the law clearly states "A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate
". Essentially, he is only in an offside position (not an offense) rather than being offside until he touches the ball (or otherwise becomes active). Paired with the rule that you are not offside if it comes off an opposition player's deliberate attempt to play the ball, the Toronto player is actually clearly onside.

Absolutely ridiculous rule - should be changed, and gives attackers a clear advantage.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But we see similar. I can't remember who it was against, but I believe it was a home game against a big six side, which was on TV, where we had the ball out on the north east wing (possibly a corner) and the ball was swung in, a defender headed it down toward goal and one of our players connected, swept it in. The lino initially flagged, the ref immediately went over to check with the lino and they allowed the goal to stand.

If people were to goal hang, defenders would stop passing it back, and it would prove fruitless. It also impacts on your attack - your most forward man is offside so if you win the ball you can't play it to him, so you're down a man, and even if you try to play it to someone else, he risks interfering with an opponent.

EDIT: Everton. Corner played in, defender heads it back towards goal to an offside Locardia. Not exactly the same. But there have been instances where what you've said has happened (trying to pass to a player in an offside position, gets taken by a defender and sent in his direction anyway) and the goals stood/not been ruled offside (not necessarily 15 yards, but that's not important, you're onside or offside. 15 yards offside is no more an offence than 15 inches offside.

https://youtu.be/WT0kEYomcX0

While I enjoyed watching those highlights, the example you have given is totally different. Locadia wasn’t in an offside position when the ball was last played by a Brighton player. The confusion arose, as I believe the Lino felt that in the ensuing melee the ball was played forward by a Brighton player, whereas it appears the headed challenge and miss kick on the ground which gave the ball to Lovardia were all made by Everton players, consequently Locadia wasn’t offside as he didn’t receive the ball that had been played forward at any time by a Brighton player.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here