Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's presence influential in latest signings

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nobody has picked up that the real decision maker on new signings is Dan Ashworth.

.......or that all of these signings will have been well on the radar months ago. Probably been watched several times, discussed with CH when he was here etc etc. Whether we'd have got them over the line is a different (unanswerable) question, but I doubt there are any that we've gone after simply because Potter wanted to.

The new signings are BOUND to say that Potter influenced their decision. What else would they say ? 'I think the manager is an arse, but I like the seaside ?'

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Maupay cites GP as one of the reasons he signed.

Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 16.25.05.png

From: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...aupay-attacking-emphasis-the-main-attraction/

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Whether we'd have got them over the line is a different (unanswerable) question, but I doubt there are any that we've gone after simply because Potter wanted to.

And that I think is the salient point - did we have a better chance of them choosing us because of the change in manager? As you say, none of us will ever know for sure, but I have a hunch that the change in playing style was a significant factor for Maupay signing in particular.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
And that I think is the salient point - did we have a better chance of them choosing us because of the change in manager? As you say, none of us will ever know for sure, but I have a hunch that the change in playing style was a significant factor for Maupay signing in particular.

See my post above yours! Maupay comes out and says Potter's plans attracted him.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
I think it undeniable that players would be put off signing for us due to the limited scope of our tactics under CH. Potter has an associated brand of football which is far more appealing. That doesn't undermine the fact CH achieved great things with this club. Simply put, who would you rather play under?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
See my post above yours! Maupay comes out and says Potter's plans attracted him.

Yeah, saw that just after posting. Sounds a bit more than just the usual 'the gaffer's vision attracted me' type soundbite doesn't it.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
B*llocks

Your thread is all about CH not being able to attract the likes of player that CH had.

Utter tosh

Why can’t you leave Hughton alone

Tw*t

Have another read, the original question was a point to spark debate. I didn't offer my opinion until responding to you which has clearly been a waste of time, ha.

Other posters have polarised this discussion.

Let the record show I still have love for Chris, despite what some hard of learning contributors have to say.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As manager of NSC’s Weakest Link Relay Team from the running thread boys, I would like to say that the grovelling ***** say how happy they are with my mediocre management. What else can they do, if they want to play?

And it's THAT kind of motivational team talk that propels us to improved performances year-on-year :lol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Id agree with that. He seems like a bit of a poacher, and so needs lots of balls into the box. Last year we were dreadful in that respect (fewest touches in opposition box over the season, or near enough), so I'm not sure he would have come to us if we hadnt had a change of manager/tactical philosophy.

... And before someone jumps down my throat, this is in no way meant as a dig at CH!

I think it undeniable that players would be put off signing for us due to the limited scope of our tactics under CH. Potter has an associated brand of football which is far more appealing. That doesn't undermine the fact CH achieved great things with this club. Simply put, who would you rather play under?

Depends whether I was an attacker or a defender

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
And asked about his decision by the same publication this week, Maupay replied: "Two years ago, Brighton already wanted to recruit me but I chose to sign in Brentford, in Championship, because I wanted to play. But Brighton continued to follow me and when I knew that the club had changed coach in May, taking (Graham Potter) from Swansea, I thought it might be the right time.

"I really like how Graham Potter plays his teams. With Brentford, I played three times against him last season - we lost three times - and I really enjoyed the game of the opponent. I met him a few weeks ago, he told me about his project, how he intended to use me. After this discussion, it was very clear in my mind: I wanted to go to Brighton. And then, here, I find the sea like in Nice. It counts."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/...-why-he-joined-brighton-despite-interest-fro/

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
And asked about his decision by the same publication this week, Maupay replied: "Two years ago, Brighton already wanted to recruit me but I chose to sign in Brentford, in Championship, because I wanted to play. But Brighton continued to follow me and when I knew that the club had changed coach in May, taking (Graham Potter) from Swansea, I thought it might be the right time.

"I really like how Graham Potter plays his teams. With Brentford, I played three times against him last season - we lost three times - and I really enjoyed the game of the opponent. I met him a few weeks ago, he told me about his project, how he intended to use me. After this discussion, it was very clear in my mind: I wanted to go to Brighton. And then, here, I find the sea like in Nice. It counts."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/...-why-he-joined-brighton-despite-interest-fro/

That pretty much confirms there is no way we would have signed Maupay if Chris was still in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here