Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
A year ago I couldn’t see Solly ever being better than Knocky. I have done a complete you turn since, looked like our best attacking player in that dreadful negative shit we endured for three months. Defends very well too. I expect him to kick on big time this season. Whilst I love Knocky, as pointed out by the RFD earlier in the thread, I have doubts he could ever be more than very average at this level.

Could also see him playing wing back.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Absolutely dreadful decision to let him go. I’d rather Jose, AJ or March left if we needed to let a winger go.

It's not quite as simple as that though is it?

Jose is currently crocked, no one will wan't to buy an injured player (insert HILARIOUS gag about the Albion signing injured players here)
AJ is on a longterm contract, hasn't set the world during his first season here so if we were to sell it would be at a loss
March - he has all the natural/technical attributes to succeed - just needs to improve his decision making - would make no sense to sell him before reaching his potential
Knockaert is fit and probably reached his potential - it's unlikely he will improve further. He's desirable for other teams as they know what he will bring them - especially at Champ level

So if we need to offload a winger now that Trossard has arrived it seems logical that Knockaert had to be the one to go - for financial reasons alone.

For footballing reasons we can argue about whether it's the right decision or not. Personally I'm sad to see him leave as I think he would have done well under Potter. He'll leave an Albion hero regardless.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad to see him go but I think this will work out for the best for everybody.

Me too sadly, l think his time with us is pretty much up, he is never going to have the same impact in the Premier League as he had in the Championship, and he is at his happiest and most effective when playing for a team that are likely to score goals and win most of their games.

Good luck to him.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
People having a knock about March in this thread is quite something.

He was the only positive in one of the most abject 5 months of football at the end of last season. But just keep re-writing history eh....

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
A year ago I couldn’t see Solly ever being better than Knocky. I have done a complete you turn since, looked like our best attacking player in that dreadful negative shit we endured for three months. Defends very well too. I expect him to kick on big time this season. Whilst I love Knocky, as pointed out by the RFD earlier in the thread, I have doubts he could ever be more than very average at this level.

March would Never have won us the game at Palace. Final ball awful, nowhere near Knocky’s ability.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wish him all the best, he’s had a tough time of things over the last couple of years. I’m sure he’ll become a favourite at the Cottage and do really well for them.

Good luck Knocky.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
8pm announcement?

Fulham will be odds on for a return now.

Very very sad to see him go but I think Potter might prefer positional intelligence & quick passing opposed to dribbling and flair. . . We’ll see.

He is an Albion legend and will be forever.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Will be gutted to not see him in the stripes, but as others have said, he was rumoured to be part of the drinking culture and I suspect the way Potter works that team culture etc is everything. Was also one of the highest earners so frees up wages as well as bringing in £15M. Could be the best for all parties. Al least it’s Fulham and not someone like Leeds or Derby.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
Absolutely dreadful decision to let him go. I’d rather Jose, AJ or March left if we needed to let a winger go.

You can’t be serious?! :ffsparr:

Whilst AK has been great for us over the past few seasons it’s obvious he’s a top championship player nothing more.

Add the fact he’s temperamental and hard to manage it’s the right choice for the club and AK.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Good luck to the lad. Think he'll do really well there.
All the best Knocky :wave:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Have to say I'm surprised, not because I disagree with comments about him struggling much more in the Prem than he does in the Championship, but because we have the unproven Trossard, Jahanbakhsh and the injury prone Izquierdo within our ranks which leaves us with only March who's played in the Premiership with any success.

I'd hope that we may look for another player to bolster us in this area, I'm keen on Bowen from Hull.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here