Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] No social media profiles, no US Visa...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Last few times I've been it's been an absolute doddle using the automatic screening machines.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Generally now far quicker at main US airports than the EU lines at Heathrow even with the machines

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fairly sure this was a non-mandatory field when I applied for my last ESTA

I'm not sure if it was mandatory, but it was certainly in the ESTA I completed a couple of months ago. One of our group of 4 got stopped for a quick interview when we arrived in Chicago, based on postings she'd made about Trump on her Facebook page. She had to answer questions about whether it was her intent to cause him physical harm or if she was intending to hold or participate in a demonstration designed to destabilise his presidency.

Luckily, she behaved and didn't threaten to lead a coup attempt.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know literally no-one that this has happened to........

there's been a few cases reported of this happening. including one of a US citizen leaving the country. its a bit fudged in US at the moment, land of the free in name only.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
2 years ago flying to LA from Vancouver I was taken into the second screening/processing area where I was asked to hand them over my phone and they had a look through, as well as taking my luggage off the plane and rummaging through.

All because I had a 1-way ticket and no firm return date. Big hassle for nothing, just wasting everyone's time.

I'll be getting a Nexus card next year to avoid all hassles when going to the US.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2 years ago flying to LA from Vancouver I was taken into the second screening/processing area where I was asked to hand them over my phone and they had a look through, as well as taking my luggage off the plane and rummaging through.

All because I had a 1-way ticket and no firm return date. Big hassle for nothing, just wasting everyone's time.

I'll be getting a Nexus card next year to avoid all hassles when going to the US.

It’s the dumb ass questions which get me.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sure if it was mandatory, but it was certainly in the ESTA I completed a couple of months ago. One of our group of 4 got stopped for a quick interview when we arrived in Chicago, based on postings she'd made about Trump on her Facebook page. She had to answer questions about whether it was her intent to cause him physical harm or if she was intending to hold or participate in a demonstration designed to destabilise his presidency.

Luckily, she behaved and didn't threaten to lead a coup attempt.

I would love to see her Facebook posts for it to be enough to get pulled aside. But then again I deleted FB because it was so littered with vitriol on politics so maybe not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here