Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

D

Deleted member 2719

Some may feel They B and PB have been ruthless, far from it he was on borrowed time and a chaiman and CEO can only hear the same excuses so many times.
Timing was right, IMO it would have been earlier, however time to get a new man in to rewire the squad's mentality to football and to give the attacking players more belief and more opportunity to do what they are good at.

How exciting can't wait to see some progress.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
The article/interview that Barber did the week before last about Ashworth's role and seniority was telling. Didn't mention Hughton once. I hope that we are equally as ruthless with the squad during the summer.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Anyone taking delight in this announcement (whether they agree with the decision or not) should be banned immediately.

Agree and I for one am totally shocked.

I know it’s come as a surprise but it really shouldn’t, we first heard of Bloom when he was leading the campaign to sack McGhee so we know he is as unforgiving of managers as any NSC poll starter. Let’s hope now we don’t have the same wasted few seasons as we did back then

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
1. How the hell have we got here? From the euphoria of beating Palace with 10, of holding Arsenal, beating Everton, being 2-0 up against West Ham away........... to this. I blame Arnautovic. From beating Palace again, astonishing come-back against Millwall, going to Wembley in a cup semi-final............ to this. This is why clubs lose 3rd round FA Cup matches.

2. TB is taking a risk here. Chris would have kept us up next year, I have no doubt about that. But nothing much would change off the pitch, fans seem split 50-50 on CH and we would have had the same angst and moaning after every defeat, after every poor performance, after every defensive wall against the top 6. To be muted after an excellent win, to re-appear next time we don't take the game to Liverpool at Anfield. Its been bloody Groundhog Day on here all season to be honest, and thats not changing anytime soon. This is a decision made off the back of fans unhappiness, I'm sure, and to be fair, as much as I will miss Chris, I'm not going to miss that.

3. But maybe this is the next stage of TB's big plan. Incremental improvements has been the name of the game since Barber has been here, and was CH's mantra too. Now it is the turn of the manager himself who is being 'improved'. And it shows that he doesn't want to play the 'staying up is just enough' game any more. Ambitious. Risky? I think changing him is a season too soon but the fans have forced his hand.

4. I always felt CH's style was the kind to take us into the top echelon's of the league, provided the recruitment was there. It was a style designed to dominate teams lower in the table, a style that all the big teams use, a style that meant we dominated most of the championship during his two full seasons there. We didn't have the personnel to fully realise that in the premier league - yet - - maybe its just not possible - but I preferred trying that to the kick and rush / quick on the break / in your face attitude, that so many of the mid- / lower-table teams adopt. I thought this summer was the time we'd really give CH the tools for the job, but we'll never know.

5. Odds on more than one manager next season?

6. Bye bye Knocky. Bye bye Bong. Bye bye Glenn. Bye bye Dale? Bye bye Pascal? Bye bye Dunky?

7. Bye bye [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]. Its been nice knowing you

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
During the run in. whilst we were unsure of our future, I said to many people that if we were relegated we'd be wise to stick with Chris, but if we just stay up, that would be the scenario where I could see him leaving, as he's just not shown the ability to move us forward.

That said, it's not like he's had more money to spend than the teams around us, I think [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has said we're 3rd bottom in terms of player spend, which means we've OVER achieved.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Shocked then very sad and a bit emotional, probably in part because of his handling of the Shoreham disaster and Knocky's dad. Decent bloke did a decent job, sad to see that rewarded with dismissal.

Now over it.

Chris's level is probably Championship pushing for promotion. No shame in that we all have our level. Premier League needs a different level of management.

Who the feck we can find to handle that level is a different matter. There's the real danger we're getting above ourselves (think Newcastle getting rid of Robson, Charlton rid of Curbishley ... all to get to "the next level" etc)

Also new manager needs to really be behind new signings. It's obvious that the new signings didn't fit with Chris because he played them out of position or didn't play them at all, always a recipe for disaster. God they have looked shit though.

Finally, I'm annoyed with Duffy who seems to have become too much a bighead and disruptive - all I saw recently was him raging at the other players on the pitch, even after his own mistakes. Now there's rumours of out on the piss and gambling,. Just an impression but think this disharmony undermined Houghto and time for him to move on aswell.

Thanks for everything Chris and good luck.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Incredible to think that Tony was prepared to stick with Hyppia, but has pulled the trigger on Hughton.

Different stakes in the premier league, clearly.

Lessons learned I guess.

It's a results business and TB obviously thought he had given Chris everything he needed to get the results.

Our record against the other 14 was just not good enough.

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1127665691719622656

Certain players need to ask whether they did enough, but also some tactics were not right.

Sad sad day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know it’s come as a surprise but it really shouldn’t, we first heard of Bloom when he was leading the campaign to sack McGhee so we know he is as unforgiving of managers as any NSC poll starter. Let’s hope now we don’t have the same wasted few seasons as we did back then

Two words: Sami Hyypia

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Bloom wouldn’t have made this decision alone. No doubt feedback was sought from players, observations from Ashworth etc.

It’s unfortunate but really I think we had to do something to freshen things up

Of course, our conversations yesterday centred around where on earth you could fit Bruno into the coaching structures. That now becomes a bit clearer. I wonder, if there was a suspicion on TB's part that it was Bruno holding the dressing room together since the turn of the year?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1. How the hell have we got here? From the euphoria of beating Palace with 10, of holding Arsenal, beating Everton, being 2-0 up against West Ham away........... to this. I blame Arnautovic. From beating Palace again, astonishing come-back against Millwall, going to Wembley in a cup semi-final............ to this. This is why clubs lose 3rd round FA Cup matches.

2. TB is taking a risk here. Chris would have kept us up next year, I have no doubt about that. But nothing much would change off the pitch, fans seem split 50-50 on CH and we would have had the same angst and moaning after every defeat, after every poor performance, after every defensive wall against the top 6. To be muted after an excellent win, to re-appear next time we don't take the game to Liverpool at Anfield. Its been bloody Groundhog Day on here all season to be honest, and thats not changing anytime soon. This is a decision made off the back of fans unhappiness, I'm sure, and to be fair, as much as I will miss Chris, I'm not going to miss that.

3. But maybe this is the next stage of TB's big plan. Incremental improvements has been the name of the game since Barber has been here, and was CH's mantra too. Now it is the turn of the manager himself who is being 'improved'. And it shows that he doesn't want to play the 'staying up is just enough' game any more. Ambitious. Risky? I think changing him is a season too soon but the fans have forced his hand.

4. I always felt CH's style was the kind to take us into the top echelon's of the league, provided the recruitment was there. It was a style designed to dominate teams lower in the table, a style that all the big teams use, a style that meant we dominated most of the championship during his two full seasons there. We didn't have the personnel to fully realise that in the premier league - yet - - maybe its just not possible - but I preferred trying that to the kick and rush / quick on the break / in your face attitude, that so many of the mid- / lower-table teams adopt. I thought this summer was the time we'd really give CH the tools for the job, but we'll never know.

6. Bye bye Knocky. Bye bye Bong. Bye bye Glenn. Bye bye Dale? Bye bye Pascal? Bye bye Dunky?

Can't agree with that. Huge changes needed and not sure he was the man to make them. Continuation of our form since Christmas would see us rock-bottom next season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Shocked then very sad and a bit emotional, probably in part because of his handling of the Shoreham disaster and Knocky's dad. Decent bloke did a decent job, sad to see that rewarded with dismissal.

Now over it.

Chris's level is probably Championship pushing for promotion. No shame in that we all have our level. Premier League needs a different level of management.

Who the feck we can find to handle that level is a different matter. There's the real danger we're getting above ourselves (think Newcastle getting rid of Robson, Charlton rid of Curbishley ... all to get to "the next level" etc)

Also new manager needs to really be behind new signings. It's obvious that the new signings didn't fit with Chris because he played them out of position or didn't play them at all, always a recipe for disaster. God they have looked shit though.

Finally, I'm annoyed with Duffy who seems to have become too much a bighead and disruptive - all I saw recently was him raging at the other players on the pitch, even after his own mistakes
. Now there's rumours of out on the piss and gambling,. Just an impression but think this disharmony undermined Houghto and time for him to move on aswell.

Thanks for everything Chris and good luck.

It's not just Duffy. Yesterday Murray effectively got an assist for their 2nd goal with that unfathomable pass back that led to the corner, but he was still blaming everyone else!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The race for the managers available starts now.

Got in before Hodgson goes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A very sad day. I was hoping he'd be given at least the start of next season to show some improvement. Paying the price for some of our signings being absolute pony. Not sure how I feel about Ashworth and whether he'll be a good influence. We better not get relegated next season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can't agree with that. Huge changes needed and not sure he was the man to make them. Continuation of our form since Christmas would see us rock-bottom next season.

Point 1 he makes. Seems to forget the pathetic home defeats against Southampton,Bournemouth,Cardiff. The collapse at Fulham. The lack of attacking intent and goals. Subs to late. This team has gone completely backwards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Point 6 is a good one. This is the old guard clearing out IMO. Gross will stay though. At times he looked back to his old self yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

I felt like this when Poyet was sacked. I just couldn't get on board with Garcia at all, didn't enjoy the following season one bit, started switching off from it. Then Sami came in, a breath of fresh air that didn't last very long at all, then Chris - who I was completely un-interested by at first, but what a man and what a ride for the last four years! He's left us in a good place though so I have no fears of a Garcia-type disappointment this time round.

I hope Chris can reflect on a job very well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here