Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some advice from you lot would be much appreciated.

I've enrolled on the Cycle to Work scheme and budgeting around £300-£350 for a Hybrid.

So far, I've narrowed it down to one bike and I'm pretty set on this unless advised otherwise.

My commute is a 6 mile round trip on the road.
I won't be using it off road at all.
I'd like it nice and light as I'll be heaving it up and down the stairs to my flat.

All feedback much appreciated!

Evans - Pinnacle Lithium One
My very first impression (as I'm supposed to be cooking tea) is those tyres seem pretty hefty.

It's the first thing I look at when weighing up bike v purpose.
38's are nearly twice the width of road tyres, giving you double the contact and some pretty serious rolling resistant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've enrolled on the Cycle to Work scheme and budgeting around £300-£350 for a Hybrid.

So far, I've narrowed it down to one bike and I'm pretty set on this unless advised otherwise.

I'd like it nice and light as I'll be heaving it up and down the stairs to my flat.

This is not a recommendation, just my second default setting when looking at bikes on a 'budget':-

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-hybrid-sport-bike-2014

The Boardman has the things you should be looking at, as well as tyres, the Pinnacle is very over geared.
Unless you live at the top of Bear Road, you won't need all 18 of the gears on the Boardman, the Pinnacle has 27.

In fact the more I look at the Pinnacle I think I'm going to have to forbid you buying it :lolol:
I don't think it's fit for purpose.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Listen to Stat.

Mudguards ain't 'cool' but if you think you may go out in the rain or on wet roads get some. Get some that fix to the eyelets too. They can be buggers to fit so try and get the shop to fit them for you. Make out 'no sale' if they don't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So I've nearly run out of lube.

What chain lube do the geeks recommend I purchase?
Old faithful:-

Finish Wet Lubricant (Green) for the winter.

If you then want to go all la-de-da for the Summer, you'll be after a synthetic ceramic dry wax chain powder. :shrug:

I don't know if it shows, but I just use Finish Line all year round and be done with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This might be a really weak answer but I just don't think I'll enjoy a road-bike as much as I would a Hybrid.

That and within my price-range, I've limited options for Road Bikes.

As you can probably already tell, I know next to nothing about bikes!

Edit: Just reading back on my OP, I meant I wouldn't be going off-road i.e Dirt/Mud etc.
I wouldn't rule out the odd gravel path etc.
Road bikes aren't for everyone, but I'll hazard a guess riding one isn't how you imagine it to be.
If you test rode that Pinnacle then whatever the cheapest road bike in store is, you'll see what I mean.
I'd bet my house you'd want the road bike.

Also there is more value bikes about than perhaps you imagined, a new buyers guide out yesterday:-

12 of the Best Road Bike Bargains for under £500

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/143748-12-best-road-bike-bargains-under-£500

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Road bikes aren't for everyone, but I'll hazard a guess riding one isn't how you imagine it to be.
If you test rode that Pinnacle then whatever the cheapest road bike in store is, you'll see what I mean.
I'd bet my house you'd want the road bike.

Also there is more value bikes about than perhaps you imagined, a new buyers guide out yesterday:-

12 of the Best Road Bike Bargains for under £500

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/143748-12-best-road-bike-bargains-under-£500

Thanks for this,

I'll give it a read.

The only problem for me is that I'm limited by the 'Cycle Scheme' as to where I can buy my bike.
It's either Sydney Street or Evans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for this,

I'll give it a read.

The only problem for me is that I'm limited by the 'Cycle Scheme' as to where I can buy my bike.
It's either Sydney Street or Evans.

None of these are actual recommendations as I've never seen the bikes let alone ridden them.
But I'd hazard a decent guess these are all better suited to a 6 mile mainly road commute than the Pinnacle, you arrived with.
As for the gravel path, that'll not be a problem, if you did p******* on it, chances are your tyres were underinflated.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-one-2014-road-bike-ec054867

If your not quite so tall and are put off by 'aggressive' road bikes

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/discovery-road-sport-1-2014-road-bike-ec054788

Hybrids

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/allegro-sport-2015-hybrid-bike-ec072058

If your tall enough (ie very)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/70-fx-2014-hybrid-bike-ec054482

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What is the best hub gear hybrid bike recommendation anyone?

What is the best hub gear hybrid bike recommendation anyone?

I have got a good runner right now with derailleurs), but I would like 7/8 speed hub gears for all the stopping and starting in traffic.

Another option is when the transmission on my current bike needs replacing, going for hub gears. But I like to have second bike for leaving at the railway station when going to the football.

I cycled to the Amex on Boxing Day. Not again. The route is naff through Brighton, and the road conditions need quite a strong bike and in the rain, powerful lights are needed if you don't know the route. It might be OK near the end and beginning of the football season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a result, what bike/jersey should I be looking out for?
Although the long range weather makes me think next Sunday could be the seasonal reappearance of some carbon.
My hack is better geared to lots of climbing.

Therefore I'll be riding a dayglo (assuming I've cleaned it) Team Liquigas coloured Bianchi.
While wearing a 'Ride or Fall' cap, and other clothing!!
Looking like a tubby fella who might get a silver even though he's moaning about his back, thighs and right knee hurting, if today is anything to go by.

Unlike many of the club, my actual name is freely available on the name thread in the discussion section of our Strava page.

What about you?

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The UCI have recommended to the Licence Commission the withdrawal of the Astana licence.

This is big news - it really does tarnish last years Tour de France - was one clean rider being dragged to victory by a team of doped-up domestics?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The UCI have recommended to the Licence Commission the withdrawal of the Astana licence.

This is big news - it really does tarnish last years Tour de France - was one clean rider being dragged to victory by a team of doped-up domestics?
You beat me to it. Big news, but it was getting a bit high risk for nibali to stay - I bet he wishes this had happened in November and he could have just got another team.

Just trying to remember who contador rode for when they were kept out of the tour.........

Oh yeah, Astana! 6 years ago, ridiculous they haven't been sorted out by now.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
What do the geeks make of this deal from Planet X?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ULT6800/planet-x-rt-58-ultegra-composite-road-bike

It's their Carbon RT-58 with Ultegra 6800 gears. £799 seems a bargain. I almost wonder if there's a catch. I'm looking to upgrade from a Triban 5. Would I notice a great deal of difference with this one, or would I be better off with a bigger upgrade? I'm a late middle-aged recreational cyclist and get out on my bike 2-3 days a week in the summer, totalling 75-100 miles a week.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
That looks amazing [MENTION=1677]East Staffs Gull[/MENTION] ... although why would you want to upgrade from a Triban 5... it has been scientifically proven that B'Twin riders are sexier.

Its a fact.

Seriously, if I had the money right now, I would be seriously considering that.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
You beat me to it. Big news, but it was getting a bit high risk for nibali to stay - I bet he wishes this had happened in November and he could have just got another team.

Just trying to remember who contador rode for when they were kept out of the tour.........

Oh yeah, Astana! 6 years ago, ridiculous they haven't been sorted out by now.

I wonder what would happen to the riders if the licence was to be withdrawn. Would Nibali be free to sign for another team? I'm sure as reigning TdF champion, he'll have several willing suitors.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It is a bit weird the UCI 'requesting' the removal of Astana's licence. Who is in charge of cycling? The UCI. Who appoints the Licence commission? Presumably the UCI, I can't actually find any information on this apart from who is on the licence commission, the source is the UCI web site.

Incidentally all four members of the Licence commission are Swiss, the team awarded World Tour status this year? IAM Cycling, based in Switzerland. I'm sure nothing suspicious went on but it just does not look good, does it? They really shoot themselves in the foot some times don't they.

Back to Astana, as others have said I'm really not sure how it has taken this long to conclude that Astana are systematic dopers. That has been obvious for a long long time now. As for Nibali he will definitely have a release clause in his contract, this might damage his image but it is guaranteed he will be at the TdF. Could be an interesting bun fight for his signature if this does all come to pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here