Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Gay Footballer

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My prediction....this person (or someone else quite soon) will come out. In a football sense it will be a disappointment. “Never heard of him”. But a star will be born . Financially and reputationally he will be set for life.
Then other gay players (statistically, there’s bound to be a fair few) will look at his success and think ‘wish I’d done that’. A few more will come out hoping for same response.
But it won’t have the same impact as the whole thing will be normalised. Which is a good thing, of course.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
My prediction....this person (or someone else quite soon) will come out. In a football sense it will be a disappointment. “Never heard of him”. But a star will be born . Financially and reputationally he will be set for life.
Then other gay players (statistically, there’s bound to be a fair few) will look at his success and think ‘wish I’d done that’. A few more will come out hoping for same response.
But it won’t have the same impact as the whole thing will be normalised. Which is a good thing, of course.

I know it's a ****ing huge thing to do, but i'm amazed a top player hasn't thought about the commercial potential of being the first gay superstar footballer. But i guess they already have enough money and it could be very bloody ugly for a season or two.

This is great by the way, best of luck to the guy.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
A list of 23 year old Championship footballers for the coming season. Would be great if it was Ollie McBurnie and then he SUNG for us :clap2:

Much respect to whoever it is though, a brave step but it feels like about time someone came out.

Barnsley
Mike Bahre

Birmingham
Viv Soloman-Otabor
Josh Cogley
Connal Trueman
Check Keita

Blackburn
Nobody

Brentford
Said Benrahama
David Raya
Ollie Watkins

Bristol City
Sammie Szmodics
Niclas Eliasson
Josh Brownhill
Hakeeb Adelakun

Cardiff
Nobody

Charlton
Macauley Bonne
Lewis Page
Ben Purrington

Derby County
Nobody

Fulham
Andre Zambo Anguissa

Hull
Nobody

Huddersfield
Joel Coleman
Jon Gorenc-Stankovic
Reece Brown
Philip Billing
Adama Diakhaby

Leeds
Tyler Denton
Kalvin Phillips
Connor Shaughnessy

Luton
Brendan Galloway
Jack Stacey

Middlesbrough
Ashely Fletcher
Luke Armstrong

Millwall
Mahlon Romeo
Ben Thompson

Nottingham Forest
Jason Cummings

Preston
Ben Davies
Michael Crowe
Josh Harrop

QPR
Sean Goss
Darnell Furlong
Liam Kelly
Ryan Manning

Reading
Liam Kelly
Yakou Meite

Stoke
Liam Lindsay
Oghenekaro Etebo

Sheffield Massive
Joe Wildsmith

Swansea
Matt Grimes
Connor Roberts
Courtney Baker-Richardon
Botti Biabi
George Byers
Ollie McBurnie

West Brom
Filip Krovinovic

Wigan
nobody

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8979990 said:
A list of 23 year old Championship footballers for the coming season. Would be great if it was Ollie McBurnie and then he SUNG for us :clap2:

Much respect to whoever it is though, a brave step but it feels like about time someone came out.

Sorry to ruin your hard work, but he says he is under the age of 23...

I hope it's a Leeds player, not sure how they will cope.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Should have been a landmark occasion decades ago. Weird that football should have been so much in denial for so long.

I don't think it has. How many openly gay rugby players are there currently playing? There's no openly gay cricketers either. Football is far from the only sport that doesn't have any openly gay participants.

Jamie O'Hara was talking on Talksport on Friday and said that he played with two gay players. Both PL clubs - the dressing rooms all knew but it wasn't made public. Why should it be? What relevance is the sexuality of a sports star, musician or actor? I don't get the obsession.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think it has. How many openly gay rugby players are there currently playing? There's no openly gay cricketers either. Football is far from the only sport that doesn't have any openly gay participants.

Jamie O'Hara was talking on Talksport on Friday and said that he played with two gay players. Both PL clubs - the dressing rooms all knew but it wasn't made public. Why should it be? What relevance is the sexuality of a sports star, musician or actor? I don't get the obsession.

38 openly gay players in the women's world cup, including three in the England team

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8979990]A list of 23 year old Championship footballers for the coming season. Would be great if it was Ollie McBurnie and then he SUNG for us :clap2:

Barnsley
Mike Bahre

Birmingham
Viv Soloman-Otabor
Josh Cogley
Connal Trueman
Check Keita

Blackburn
Nobody

Brentford
Said Benrahama
David Raya
Ollie Watkins

Bristol City
Sammie Szmodics
Niclas Eliasson
Josh Brownhill
Hakeeb Adelakun

Cardiff
Nobody

Charlton
Macauley Bonne
Lewis Page
Ben Purrington

Derby County
Nobody

Fulham
Andre Zambo Anguissa

Hull
Nobody

Huddersfield
Joel Coleman
Jon Gorenc-Stankovic
Reece Brown
Philip Billing
Adama Diakhaby

Leeds
Tyler Denton
Kalvin Phillips
Connor Shaughnessy

Luton
Brendan Galloway
Jack Stacey

Middlesbrough
Ashely Fletcher
Luke Armstrong

Millwall
Mahlon Romeo
Ben Thompson

Nottingham Forest
Jason Cummings

Preston
Ben Davies
Michael Crowe
Josh Harrop

QPR
Sean Goss
Darnell Furlong
Liam Kelly
Ryan Manning

Reading
Liam Kelly
Yakou Meite

Stoke
Liam Lindsay
Oghenekaro Etebo

Sheffield Massive
Joe Wildsmith

Swansea
Matt Grimes
Connor Roberts
Courtney Baker-Richardon
Botti Biabi
George Byers
Ollie McBurnie

West Brom
Filip Krovinovic

Wigan
nobody

I think Swansea could have the favourite.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Good way of doing it. Steals the thunder of the press and stops some shit on Twitter telling the world if he is seen out with a partner.

(Just to pre-empt the usual comments about him not needing to do this).

Edit: Assuming that it is all for real.

Last edited:

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I don't think players should have to or need to declare their sexuality, as it's their business and no one else's. It has been suggested by some that they should come out as they would then become role models to others. Should a player, Male or Female, decides to tell the world, then good for them but really what's the big deal anyway? whatever gets you through the night, it's alright, it's alright.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sorry to ruin your hard work, but he says he is under the age of 23...

I hope it's a Leeds player, not sure how they will cope.

That is my hope too. Or Boro. Their fans will be apoplectic. Not to mention totally confused about how to deal with "one of theirs" who is a poof/fag/etc.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think players should have to or need to declare their sexuality, as it's their business and no one else's. It has been suggested by some that they should come out as they would then become role models to others. Should a player, Male or Female, decides to tell the world, then good for them but really what's the big deal anyway? whatever gets you through the night, it's alright, it's alright.

I refer the Rt.Hon member to my entry #34.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
38 openly gay players in the women's world cup, including three in the England team

The OP is talking about a male coming out. There seems to be a clear difference between the willingness of men and women to come out. Is this purely down to the profile of the sport or is there a bigger reason behind it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here