Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Water bottle tops / Argus court report

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Must be bored as I somehow found myself skimming though the Argus court reporting and noticed this...

“STEPHEN WALKER

Aged 27, of Peterlee, County Durham, admitted throwing a plastic water bottle onto the football pitch at the American Express Community Stadium, Falmer. Fined £120, with a £30 surcharge and £85 costs.”

My assumption would be Newcastle away fan?

The report was not prominent at all and I wondered how often these minor prosecutions occur, especially as the bottle top ban got so many peeps all riled up!

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So as far as we know, an away fan and the Arsenal manager are the only one's charged or in trouble for launching a bottle at the Amex and yet we, the supporters, the paying mugs, are penalised. Great.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
He threw the plastic water bottle onto the pitch, but....

Did it have a lid on, and if it did - did it make a difference? If so, how? If it didn't - what made it less dangerous, and finally - if we can all (hypothetically) choose to throw our plastic bottle at the pitch anyway, why not ban all bottles of liquid and introduce in-seat drinking fountains? ???

The official line is `no bottle tops as if/when the bottle is left in an aisle where an emergency exit is needed, it becomes a 'trip hazard' as it won't collapse if you stand on it'. However, on the pitch it's not the same - there's loads of room, and 22 able bodied athletes to dodge them.

I'm confused.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
All this controversy over water bottles and our own PC Balkham , who is 'working' at the Womens' World Cup in the south of France (£££££££££££££££ !) advises supporters to take bottles of water with them to matches !!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All this controversy over water bottles and our own PC Balkham , who is 'working' at the Womens' World Cup in the south of France (£££££££££££££££ !) advises supporters to take bottles of water with them to matches !!

With or Without bottle tops

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Must be bored as I somehow found myself skimming though the Argus court reporting and noticed this...

“STEPHEN WALKER

Aged 27, of Peterlee, County Durham, admitted throwing a plastic water bottle onto the football pitch at the American Express Community Stadium, Falmer. Fined £120, with a £30 surcharge and £85 costs.”

My assumption would be Newcastle away fan?

The report was not prominent at all and I wondered how often these minor prosecutions occur, especially as the bottle top ban got so many peeps all riled up!
:shrug:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The official line is `no bottle tops as if/when the bottle is left in an aisle where an emergency exit is needed, it becomes a 'trip hazard' as it won't collapse if you stand on it'. However, on the pitch it's not the same - there's loads of room, and 22 able bodied athletes to dodge them.

The club is fooling no-one with that 'reasoning'.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm not particularly het up about the bottle top thing but three or four times last season I found that someone behind me had knocked their Coke or water over and the contents were creating a waterfall under my seat, where a coat or jumper might normally be stowed. That's a bit of a pain.

Having said that it's probably karma as my kids used to cause the same problems for the people in front of us when they were younger, and that was when bottle tops were allowed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

There are probably quite a few people who have jobs in football that have been asked to work at the Women's world cup this summer, are they doing it for free then

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
What a mug spending £2 on a bottle of water that wholesale costs about 10p

Especially when the very same outlet is obliged to give you a glass of tap water for free if you ask for it.

Before the bottle top ban my daughter invariably bought a bottle of water or diet coke before a game. As the top is now taken away and she doesn't want to spend £2.20 on something which gets knocked over after less than half has been drunk she now has a free glass of water instead - usually a pint in a plastic glass. If they lost loads of revenue on drinks because of bottle tops (and let's face it there must be quite a margin on the bottles of drink being sold) then maybe some minds will get changed.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Knocky's Nose;8948949 The official line is `no bottle tops as if/when the bottle is left in an aisle where an emergency exit is needed said:
Is that really the official reason?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I haven't found the bottle top/flask sanctions strongly upheld in al other PL grounds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here