Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix show - “Sunderland ‘til I Die”

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Putting clips of the players in shirts with poppys on them into games where they aren't wearing them is a bit jarring.

Exactly, I've not seen that yet, but it just feels really sloppy. The rest of it just looks like a normal documentary, but the matches are dire.

The absolute inaccuracy of the goal cheers is what's annoyed me the most. It's absolutely killed the immersion for me. Every time a goal goes in the sound playing in the background sounds like the cheer at full time, or when an opposition player booms the ball out of play. That isn't the sound of the stadium of light when Sunderland equalise to make it 3-3 that's for sure. Likewise with the opposition goals. Silence, then generic_boo.mp3 followed by the same "you're not fit to wear the shirt" chant we've heard 100 times already this episode. It's like playing fifa.

Sorry to go on but it's as if they've put someone in charge who's never been to a match in their life.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Only on the second episode. Really enjoying it, BUT.

The match scenes are awfully produced.

The crowd noises are so clearly not from the incidents being shown, they overdubbed a bloody rugby whistle.. They cut to reactions from the wrong bit of the game or another game altogether. I noticed it the most during the Brentford game in episode 2 when they kept cutting to Grayson at the KCOM.

Feels like it was edited by somebody with absolutely no clue about football.

I got very confused by the Norwich away game when it kept cutting to crowd scenes at the Stadium of Light!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Only two episodes in, but I was shocked at the fans' reactions in the Celtic friendly - the fury they were showing, it's no surprise the players gave up.

A mackem supporting mate told me a few years ago that they're their own worst enemy, almost too much passion.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I loved this. I thought it really projected what the football club means to an area which (without being patronising) hasn't got a huge amount going for it. I was amazed at the access they obtained and the frankness of the views expressed. Chris Coleman came across as a very decent guy, as did Johnny Williams. As for Jack Rodwell...………………………..

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Also a good example of office bellcheesery when Chris Coleman is being shown round and one of the first things someone does is ask if he wants to take part in secret santa.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
And as you say, putting palace aside, Jonny Williams comes out of it really well. Just a polite, soft spoken, somewhat scared lad trying to string a few games of football together.

I’ve finished the series now and thought it was fascinating.

Perversely felt really happy for him when he scored his goal on his comeback.
The little bugger was a major part of the Palace victory at the Amex in the Play-Off Semi-Final from "X" years ago now!
Currently not even getting on the bench for them!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Jack Rodwell deary me....

As for the rest, surprised at some of the entitlement their fans showed, Quite a few have come out of the top division and immediately been relegated again. Staff came across as lovely in the main the players less so, however, that is pretty much every club I've ever played for. The back biting and refusal to accept personal responsibility are commonplace! I felt for Chris Coleman who should never have taken the job, Grayson seemed out of his depth. I agree with others the series is let down by the editing but was still very watchable and of course the usual northern supporters are so much better than southern bollocks from some, while sitting in a half full ground....

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
They just showed someone running alongside a Reading player, then cut to Colman wearing a Daffodile for St.Davids day... during the Barnsley game in January :facepalm:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Certainly humanises the players a lot. Johnny Williams talking about getting a dog as he is lonely springs to mind.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just watched the old Peter Reid Sunderland documentary on YouTube. If you haven’t watched it that’s quite interesting too.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I found it hard to stop watching. Partly for good reasons that a lot of the staff in particular are gems, like the woman chef. Partly because it's a car-crash and the pathos is mesmerising.

It's funny how your perception of people can be manipulated, though.

Martin Bain the CEO came across as very professional, said all the right things, very urbane and you'd be happy to be sat next to him at a party. But, as he kept saying, "it's a results driven business" and in the end he must take his share of the blame.
Lewis Grabban confirmed he is a serial mercenary (12, 13 clubs now?) and as someone else said, glad we dodged a bullet there. But, his goals may well have kept SAFC up if they'd hung on to him.
Jonny Williams you couldn't help feel sorry for. He needs a partner, a dog and some friends outside football. But, you can only conclude in the cold light of day that he's not physically or mentally strong enough to be successful.

For me, it helps confirm that there are a lot of tough, tough decisions in running a club. And thankful that we had Dick and Bob who put their hands up to run things when times were really tough, and Tony and Paul to take us to the stratosphere.

PG.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm quite intrigued how some of the episodes flip between the working class fans to the players / staff driving in their luxury cars.
Shows the +/- of the clubs stature.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I found it hard to stop watching. Partly for good reasons that a lot of the staff in particular are gems, like the woman chef. Partly because it's a car-crash and the pathos is mesmerising.

It's funny how your perception of people can be manipulated, though.

Martin Bain the CEO came across as very professional, said all the right things, very urbane and you'd be happy to be sat next to him at a party. But, as he kept saying, "it's a results driven business" and in the end he must take his share of the blame.
Lewis Grabban confirmed he is a serial mercenary (12, 13 clubs now?) and as someone else said, glad we dodged a bullet there. But, his goals may well have kept SAFC up if they'd hung on to him.
Jonny Williams you couldn't help feel sorry for. He needs a partner, a dog and some friends outside football. But, you can only conclude in the cold light of day that he's not physically or mentally strong enough to be successful.

For me, it helps confirm that there are a lot of tough, tough decisions in running a club. And thankful that we had Dick and Bob who put their hands up to run things when times were really tough, and Tony and Paul to take us to the stratosphere.

PG.

Very much this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here