Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good to see Middlesbrough preparing for life back in the Championship

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the end of the day it wasn't meant to be a year ago.......Now it is though.
TBH we have sort of followed their path, they went so close then had that bit more next season
No we haven't, we were exceptionally close last season and were in the playoffs a couple of times before that. We finished above 'brough most seasons, they only got in the playoffs once and were never as close to autos as us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've always got on with Boro fans, however, a cursory glance at their accounts last year reveals that over half their signings were on credit.

They spent £42 million on new players in the year ended 30 June 2016, but the cash given to other clubs was only £16 million.
How does that work? If it's on credit, then it still goes in the accounts for that year.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I genuinely think Steve Gibson has put his wallet where his heart is, but Boro has been set up as a subsidiary of Gibson O'Neill, his very successful haulage company.

It appears as if Boro have made huge losses, and these have been offset for tax purposes against the profits made by the haulage business, reducing their tax bill by over £6 million in 2016. I'm not a tax expert but this does seem a legitimate, if morally questionable, practice.

It therefore seems as if the taxpayer has been subsidising the signings of Rhodes and Co, and their wages...which is nice.

Boro PL 2016 Tax.JPG

FishPie

Banned
Sep 2, 2016
Playing boring defensive football will get you nowhere in the premiership.....You need to attack and score as that will give you hope.

And you think we'll be playing like Chelsea :bigwave:

We'll probably come straight back down like Middlesbrough.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They can always bring out BBC newsreader Steph McGovern, Nationwide advert actor Mark Renton and the old Ballykissangel bloke for a rendition of ''OOPP TA BOOORRROOO''

watching MOTD I see the empty seats have started already. Gibson aside, a bunch of twats.

Yes thank goodness Big Jack Charlton didn't join in.

Steph completely tainted ever since......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here