Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric bikes

My analogue commute has me going 12 miles west, so that's usually into a headwind but as it's early it's not usually so bad. I then spend the rest of the day looking at a flag

Well I'm pleased this thread didn't instantly die the death I was expecting and has been very positive.
What are you, a lifeguard?

We now await your thread on electric roller skates.

https://youtu.be/qZ5c9qw6ckw

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was in France a few weeks ago and was shocked as nearly every other bike was electric, we seem to be slow on the uptake here...or as my mate said UK cyclist can be a bit snobby.

I bough a second hand gtec spots bike and love the going up hills bit, but not having any gears I find it frustrating that when on a flat or slight decline I cant go any faster. So now I need to convince Mrs Loz that we really need to add an electric mountain / hi bred to my non electric road bike, gravel bike and hi bred...as I say to her the only thing a man wants more than 4 bikes is 5 bikes !!

You certainly don't see them in Yorkshire, I think they fall into the same category as coats, vegetables and small dogs here.

The little ones are illegal to use :glare: illegally.

The larger ones that look like motorised scooters are treated as electric bikes - No driving licence required, no tax, no M.O.T, do not need to register with DVLA
And how many of those actually have pedals capable of propelling the machine? No pedals = no bicycle. Similarly, power output has to be restricted to 250 Watts whilst powered speed limiter needs to be set to 15.5 mph max.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
"....must not propel the bike at speeds greater than 15.5 mph". Does that mean the bike is restricted to 15.5 mph - or is it just a limit for when using electrical power? In other words, can you freewheel downhill as fast as you like?

Yes, you can hit much higher speeds freewheeling.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Bought a £2,500 Giant mountain bike a year and a half ago and absolutely love it. I have a 5-mile commute to the office that takes in some biggish hills and I can do it in 20 minutes without needing to shower or wipe away too much sweat.

It's basically up to the rider to determine how hard they want to work and I normally stick to the lower two settings, to give my legs a bit of a workout and to conserve battery life, but have no problem with a bit of turbo boost if I'm not in the mood.

I bought the bike primarily as a commuting vehicle and it's doing the job perfectly. Also great for the 1.5-mile nip to the shops which would normally otherwise involve a car, and the occasional pleasure ride over the downs.

Could I do all these things on a regular bike? Yes. Did I ever do them? Not nearly as much as I do now.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
"....must not propel the bike at speeds greater than 15.5 mph". Does that mean the bike is restricted to 15.5 mph - or is it just a limit for when using electrical power? In other words, can you freewheel downhill as fast as you like?

limit for electric power, pedal as hard as you like otherwise

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
And how many of those actually have pedals capable of propelling the machine? No pedals = no bicycle. Similarly, power output has to be restricted to 250 Watts whilst powered speed limiter needs to be set to 15.5 mph max.

You are correct as always.

PS I did not count how many had pedals, but all those I looked at did.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There are a lot of these e-skateboards whizzing about NYC. For such a small motor they are pretty nippy - seen them keep up with a road bike going up hill. They are wireless controlled - probably be a case soon of one of them being hacked

E skate.JPG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You certainly don't see them in Yorkshire, I think they fall into the same category as coats, vegetables and small dogs here.

I'm no expert, but isn't it the case that many of the new-breed of electric bike doesn't look much different to a regular bike?

I'm not sure I'd notice one of these (just picking a random electric bike from Evans) as being electric if I saw it out and about - https://www.evanscycles.com/special...3ne0KiGBqfpAvnkR3PqLiUBUuoaGcvjhoCPk4QAvD_BwE

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm no expect, but isn't it the case that many of the new-breed of electric bike doesn't look much different to a regular bike?

I'm not sure I'd notice one of these (just picking a random electric bike from Evans) as being electric if I saw it out and about - https://www.evanscycles.com/special...3ne0KiGBqfpAvnkR3PqLiUBUuoaGcvjhoCPk4QAvD_BwE

Fair point actually, though it's mostly road bikes round here.

I did have one overtake me going under a bridge along the canal which looked like a perfectly normal bike but sounded more like a motorbike and seemed to leave behind diesel fumes, so must've had a little motor somewhere? Fairly illegal presumably.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm no expert, but isn't it the case that many of the new-breed of electric bike doesn't look much different to a regular bike?

It's all about the downtube they're oversized making them really easy to spot if you're painfully sad.

The G-something bike is very clever as all its gubbins is stored in the 'bottle' on the downtube, so that does look like a normal hybrid bike.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's all about the downtube they're oversized making them really easy to spot if you're painfully sad.

The G-something bike is very clever as all its gubbins is stored in the 'bottle' on the downtube, so that does look like a normal hybrid bike.

I have the Gtec sport..and yes the battery looks like a water bottle. Although I am pleased with and it only cost me £500 second hand ( but not used) I would get an Ebike with gears as the Gtec doesnt have any.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have the Gtec sport..and yes the battery looks like a water bottle. Although I am pleased with and it only cost me £500 second hand ( but not used) I would get an Ebike with gears as the Gtec doesnt have any.
Aren't they belt drive as well?

Super smooth and quiet but single speed.

I've had four electric bikes but all lead-acid so no chance of disguising them. Although one had its batteries incorporated into a topbox on the back, the large hub housing the motor was the giveaway. Lithium Ion is a game-changer in this respect along with more compact motors, allowing designs such as this
best_electric_bike_coboc_one_soho.jpg
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/out...ke-commuting-folding-mtb--road-electric-bikes

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
How do the ones with gears work? Can you change gear whilst in electric mode? What happens if you change down instead of up?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Tip: go for a mountain bike, not a hybrid. With the extra weight they handle much better with fatter wheels and tyres. I made a choice mistake.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Aren't they belt drive as well?

Super smooth and quiet but single speed.

Yes they are a belt drive and super smooth...great for towns not so good for Sussex hills as going up is great but you have to just free wheel down as you cant change the driver to driven ratio.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You can have derailleur gears and even hub gears housed in the same unit as the motor.

Um... you go into a lower gear?

Be wary of hub gears. I made a mistake. Derailleur are more reliable and easier to fix.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here