Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Having watched him for a number of years still think Duffy’s way better then this.

That Celtic team is not set up to his strengths to begin with, plus poor coaching, and now with all the bad results and all the fans piling on you can see the guy’s confidence is shattered.

He needs to move on somewhere else unfortunately.

Agree totally.

Shane Duffy is a very good defender.

Absolutely no idea what is going at Celtic, but i've seen year's of top performances for us. He's done well for Ireland as well.

He'll come back to us in the summer and we'll find him another loan somewhere. Likely the Championship

Jimmy Grimble

He made that pass look outstanding.

Will rise again at another club. He was unlucky to join a team that is obviously in need of a total rebuild.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport...DMHkAYKy5wuNAlPdLrDtkFKS_uYO2c-CwFtP9TQroJi4A

local press player ratings attributing other defenders shortcomings down to Duffy (and slating him).

Greg Taylor - Committed himself for St Mirren's opener, but Shane Duffy put him in a difficult position. 5

Shane Duffy - Another disaster class from the Irishman. At fault for both St Mirren goals and it's mind-boggling he still has a place in this Celtic side. 2

Nir Bitton - Did well to bring the ball forward that led to Odsonne Edouard's opener, but looks like he has no confidence next to Duffy. 4

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Duffy doesn't even make the match day squad anymore.

What a disaster of a move.

Never liked the way is name was always so closely linked with booze and parties, never a good tag for a pro footballer to have

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Never liked the way is name was always so closely linked with booze and parties, never a good tag for a pro footballer to have

Agreed. However I do think some of these issues probably aren't helped by the sudden death of his father, especially as they seemed very close.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. However I do think some of these issues probably aren't helped by the sudden death of his father, especially as they seemed very close.

Without knowing the full facts of the matter, we all lose our parents sooner or later, and that doesn't really wash as an excuse.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

When did that happen? It certainly doesn't help and he's been hung out to dry a little bit this season I think.

Without knowing the full facts of the matter, we all lose our parents sooner or later, and that doesn't really wash as an excuse.

Compassion is obviously a particular strength of yours.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Jesus, the guy isn’t even 30. Not many people lose their parents before that age. Get a grip and learn some compassion. What a wanker.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No idea how practical it is but honestly feels a bit like him going back under Hughton's wing at Forest would really suit everyone involved at this stage

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Shane Duffy has proved what a good player he is for a number of seasons.

He's blatantly not past his peak, but has had one shocking season.

It could be personal issues or is could just the environment and vagaries of form.

Would still be a very good player in the PL for a club who want a beast of a centre back

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

It could be personal issues or is could just the environment and vagaries of form.

Would still be a very good player in the PL for a club who want a beast of a centre back

Agreed. Very good player in the right side.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This!

I seem to remember Potter bringing him on to specifically nullify any threat from Andy Carroll.
Which he did.

I think it may be that game when Dunk was asked was he worried with a late chance had fallen to the opposition.
He just laughed and said No he knew Duffy would deal with it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've said many times, probably already in this thread, but I'm going to say it again: I bloody love Shane Duffy.

He was a magnificent beast of a defender for three years for us and I don't think I'll ever have a favourite defensive partnership over him and Dunk. Absolutely heroic defending from 2016-19. It's a real shame it's not worked out at Celtic for him, I really thought he'd go there and absolutely beast the league. Strange how things turn out sometimes.

He's not that old so there's plenty more to come from him and I hope he gets a good next move and finds his form and equilibrium again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've said many times, probably already in this thread, but I'm going to say it again: I bloody love Shane Duffy.

He was a magnificent beast of a defender for three years for us and I don't think I'll ever have a favourite defensive partnership over him and Dunk. Absolutely heroic defending from 2016-19. It's a real shame it's not worked out at Celtic for him, I really thought he'd go there and absolutely beast the league. Strange how things turn out sometimes.

He's not that old so there's plenty more to come from him and I hope he gets a good next move and finds his form and equilibrium again.

A total fans favourite

Remorseless winner of headers
Vital goals
Chequered social life

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Needs to sort his head out, cut out the booze, and live like a professional footballer.

Phenomenal in our rise to the PL, and will be fondly remembered, but any thoughts of him making it in the PL and sustaining a career there are ridiculous. The very top half of championship is probably his level, hoping that he can find that opportunity.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Needs to sort his head out, cut out the booze, and live like a professional footballer.

Phenomenal in our rise to the PL, and will be fondly remembered, but any thoughts of him making it in the PL and sustaining a career there are ridiculous. The very top half of championship is probably his level, hoping that he can find that opportunity.

How is it ridiculous when he was our player of the season for one season and was brilliant in the our first season in the top flight? Potter doesn't think he fits and he's had a bad season but he'd do a job for a few pl teams. Craig Dawson is doing the job for West Ham and he's never been as good as Duffy and they're just off a champions League spot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here