Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Couple of Celtic fans comments on the big fella after tonight's game, a few of theirs share similar views to a few of ours!

https://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/shane-duffy-signed-1-year-loan-deal-t137376-s680.html

" Good header for the goal. Passing was dreadful."

"His biggest weakness has always been the Hollywood passes. For some reason he thinks he is Ronald Koeman when he has five yards of space in his own half, or maybe it is Ronald Colman, either way he thinks he is Mr. Hollywood and someone should have a word about it."

"Duffy was never a passer so this shouldn’t be a surprise

He brings plenty of other qualities"

.....and more importantly Potter’s.....

Webster hit 2 or 3 fabulous passes on Monday that Duffy couldn’t hit in a million years (and against Chelsea, not Kilmarnock). Duffy is a great old-skool defender and particularly strong in the air and was one of the key reasons we got promoted, but Webster is already a much better all-round footballer and far more suited to our style of play.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I appreciate you’re trying to be clever, but I think you might have the missed the point. If you read my post again you’ll notice I said Webster is miles behind Duffy when it comes to defending, a statement that I’ll stick by. Webster is a decent all round defender, but he doesn’t particularly excel at one particular thing, Duffy is dominant in the air and strong in the tackle, he’s very old school but he’s just a better defender than Webster. Now, is Webster a better player overall? For Potter’s system you’d have to say yes, but ask yourself if Burnley we’re going to sign either Webster or Duffy, who would they choose? They’ve got different skill sets which are suited to different teams, managers and styles of play.

They'd buy Webster all day long.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No, he was not even close to being dodgy. He has a great season. He became more consistent in the second half, yes, but he was NEVER "dodgy at best" - that is just utter bullshit.

The way I remember it, Webby had a U shaped season. He started the season very well. Then we switched to 2 at the back about 6 weeks into the season and his form dropped off. He had two or three very poor games around the xmas period, but then recovered and was decent in Feb and one of our best players after lockdown

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The way I remember it, Webby had a U shaped season. He started the season very well. Then we switched to 2 at the back about 6 weeks into the season and his form dropped off. He had two or three very poor games around the xmas period, but then recovered and was decent in Feb and one of our best players after lockdown

Yes. My view as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

And it was during his poor spell when we were playing more of a traditional flat back 4 that many fans, myself included, were calling fire the inclusion of Duffy due to his excellent partnership with Dunk in that formation.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

So if a club who finished top half of the Prem had the choice between a Brighton defender who started all last season and still is 1st team, or a player who sat on the bench for the Albion last season and now has been loaned out to Celtic in the SPL, they'd pick the player who couldn't get in to the Albion starting 11 because they want defenders who played well in the Championship?

Remember what you were saying about Webster earlier this year. Not sure your judgement of a footballers ability is really what Burnley could do with in that supposed scenario

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So if a club who finished top half of the Prem had the choice between a Brighton defender who started all last season and still is 1st team, or a player who sat on the bench for the Albion last season and now has been loaned out to Celtic in the SPL, they'd pick the player who couldn't get in to the Albion starting 11 because they want defenders who played well in the Championship?

Remember what you were saying about Webster earlier this year. Not sure your judgement of a footballers ability is really what Burnley could do with in that supposed scenario

Defenders come in all shapes and sizes, they have varying skill sets and abilities, different teams with different playing styles need players that suit their particular brand of football. Burnley play a very rigid, defensive minded backs against the wall style. Duffy would suit Burnley. Now, if we were talking about a side like Wolves who like to play football all the way through the team and predominantly pick a back 3 then they would choose Webster as his passing game and mobility works be far more suited to their style.
I acknowledge your dig at my perception of defenders, but equally I can throw that back at you as you clearly can’t differentiate that two centre backs may have completely attributes and can offer more than the other to different styles.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Defenders come in all shapes and sizes, they have varying skill sets and abilities, different teams with different playing styles need players that suit their particular brand of football. Burnley play a very rigid, defensive minded backs against the wall style. Duffy would suit Burnley. Now, if we were talking about a side like Wolves who like to play football all the way through the team and predominantly pick a back 3 then they would choose Webster as his passing game and mobility works be far more suited to their style.
I acknowledge your dig at my perception of defenders, but equally I can throw that back at you as you clearly can’t differentiate that two centre backs may have completely attributes and can offer more than the other to different styles.

I respect what you're saying and does have logic to it but when a defender is being selected, it's their defensive attributes which will always come first-off regardless of what style the team may play. Duffy isn't good enough for a team in the top half and I doubt he will standout for Celtic. Yes he's good at defending and attacking corners but whatever style you want to play, when it comes to defending, it's all about how you cope with the oppositions tactics and Webster doesn't look at all out of his depth unlike some of those games we saw Duffy being completely destroyed by pace.
I really doubt Potter wanted to buy a defender for the price he did who was actually worse at defending than who he had intending on replacing. He wouldn't have been stupid enough to have just seen Webster's on the ball qualities and decided that was all that was required.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
So with this talk of Burnley transfers is Webster the new Barnes and isn't this thread meant to be about Shane Duffy?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Then I suppose it's reasonable to speculate that he is one of their top earners, while possibly being one of our mid to lowest earners.

Which is all fair enough really.
You would have thought they would pay him more than 15 quid a game though - even in Scotland.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Glad Shane called out the tit for ‘guessing’ shite and numbers too. But looking at his profile, he’s seeing it as ‘fake’ :facepalm: Also when England’s team was announced put a gif of Belgium celebrating - not his day is it :lol: Mainstream Social media is SHIT.

We are Brighton were tweeting it originally. But agreed glad he’s put an end to it

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Just watched the Old Firm and Duffy was really not good at all, poor defensively, attacking headers either offside or miles over the bar. Got nutmegged by a far superior Goldson for his second goal.

Like Shane but really poor today.

lower down the page, pretty damning stuff - he is their equivalent of our Solly now!

https://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/shane-duffy-signed-1-year-loan-deal-t137376-s900.html

duffy.jpg

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here