Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] West Indies v England 3rd Test

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
and yet somehow refuse to pick Hales or Roy in the test side
Hales has already had a go. No idea what Roy has done to avoid getting picked. Did he duff up Root's baby brother onetime?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hales has already had a go. No idea what Roy has done to avoid getting picked. Did he duff up Root's baby brother onetime?

Hales did have a go and wasn't that bad. He was never actually dropped, but refused to go to Bangladesh and has never been picked since.

I 'blame' it all on the coaching set-up, if blame is the right word. They have turned England into the best one-day side in the world, and that style of play has inevitably leached over to the test side. All of England's good batting of the last couple of years has come from lower order aggression and fearless fight-backs. But the top order's mindset has seemed muddled in comparison, no-one in the top 3, including Cook, has done well. I just think they don't know how to approach the game because the mindset of the team as a whole is one of aggression, but they're being encouraged to play a test-match game'. There's no clarity of thought there. I don't think these openers are bad players, but the England set-up isn't helping them succeed. If you go through the list of openers and number 3's - Cook, Robson, Lyth, Carberry, Hales, Ali, Hameed, Duckett, Jennings, Stoneman, Burns, Denly, Vince, Ballance, Westley, Root @ 3 - I refuse to believe that none of them were up to it - especially Cook and Root (!), there must be a deeper lying issue. Under those conditions its even more baffling why Roy hasn't been given a go.

Burns looks to have something about him. He'll definitely play in the Ashes and lets hope he's can crack it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hales did have a go and wasn't that bad. He was never actually dropped, but refused to go to Bangladesh and has never been picked since.

I 'blame' it all on the coaching set-up, if blame is the right word. They have turned England into the best one-day side in the world, and that style of play has inevitably leached over to the test side. All of England's good batting of the last couple of years has come from lower order aggression and fearless fight-backs. But the top order's mindset has seemed muddled in comparison, no-one in the top 3, including Cook, has done well. I just think they don't know how to approach the game because the mindset of the team as a whole is one of aggression, but they're being encouraged to play a test-match game'. There's no clarity of thought there. I don't think these openers are bad players, but the England set-up isn't helping them succeed. If you go through the list of openers and number 3's - Cook, Robson, Lyth, Carberry, Hales, Ali, Hameed, Duckett, Jennings, Stoneman, Burns, Denly, Vince, Ballance, Westley, Root @ 3 - I refuse to believe that none of them were up to it - especially Cook and Root (!), there must be a deeper lying issue. Under those conditions its even more baffling why Roy hasn't been given a go.

Burns looks to have something about him. He'll definitely play in the Ashes and lets hope he's can crack it

You might have something there, Bayliss seems to just turn up and tell the players what their responsibilities are and how they should do their best, there don't seem to have been any rollickings or bust ups or dressing downs, just the slow monotonous plod of " Do your best " . " We want to preform better " " We need a performance " … but fudge all happens !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
102-3 … the collapse is on ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Root did his usual I am beginning to wonder why he is in the team poor captain and not doing much with the bat.

He is a world away from the batsman who could dominate almost any attack and bail us out of trouble when the opening pair went cheaply.... now he goes cheaply too.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
We need to give Duckett a chance. He got two games as opener and three innings at no. 4
Jennings Vince Pope Burns all been given far more time to fail.
When your face fits. / scapegoat.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I accept that but he has struggled with his own game since then generally.

Like we do with football we blame the manager. He is the best player in the team. It is not always his fault when we lose, just as it isn't always Chris to blame when we lose.
He is far and away the best player with an average just under 50. Chris Hughtons' record speaks for itself.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here